Youngstown State

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
On airplanes today.....what in heck happened? Looks like we left a shaky starter in WAYYYYY too long, but you can't always tell from the box score.

As always, pitching is our problem. And exactly why did this kid Gibson start anyway? What happened to Gooden. What happened to last week's Sunday starter!

Seriously?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
On airplanes today.....what in heck happened? Looks like we left a shaky starter in WAYYYYY too long, but you can't always tell from the box score.

As always, pitching is our problem. And exactly why did this kid Gibson start anyway? What happened to Gooden. What happened to last week's Sunday starter!

Seriously?
Left in too long? In hindsight, you bet. But it was only 2nd inn & 6 runs came on HRs, the grand slam to a guy getting his 1st HR.... it happened fast, sort of.

Your 2nd para is confusing to me. Gibson was last Sunday's starter. Yesterday, the WREK crew said Gooden is really struggling with control. But staff believes he has potential... despite not making an appearance thus far this season.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I checked the score at 1-8. Damn. The only thing worse for rpi to winning to a bad team is losing to a bad team at home.

But I'm optimistic we'll get some big innings offensively. Have 6 more at bats. And it isn't all bad to have to do some work ...... just need to get people on and fight at each at bat.

As to the pitching, no idea why Gibson was left in so long. But it's clear all three of our starting pitchers were not ACC caliber this weekend. Hopefully they'll get better. Or they won't and life will go on.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
YSU got a lot of hits all weekend and left a lot on base. Finally caught up with us. Our pitching has not been encouraging. We have had a lot of behind count situations for opposing batters.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I've lost a lot of optimism about the season with the pitching the ENTIRE weekend.

We see why we haven't seen Gooden. First batter hit by pitch on 1-2 count, pop out, walk and pulled. 14 pitches with 6 strikes. Let the record show that the coaching staff had a good reason not to have Gooden in.

3-12 in the B6 with 2 outs and none on.

Gooden pitched. Faced 3 batters. 1st pitch of his career he hit the batter. Got a pop up out then walked a dude.

In contrast to Gibson, CDH with a quick hook.
Watching every pitch in this series my biggest worry about this season is going to be stopping good teams. It is great we can score and have a potent offense, but you can't depend on scoring double digits in every game. Tech's pitching has not looked that good this series. The teams era is not that good and we have not faced a good hitting team yet. Pitching has to get a whole lot better if this team is going to make any noise.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I have a hard time being too critical (or drawing good conclusions) on pitching performance with huge leads (or huge deficits, for that matter). Therefore, I think it's still a very small sample for figuring out where we are.

Certainly "feels" scary & concerning. But today (so far), it was only a couple of guys who disappointed....not the whole staff.

Bottom line.... our pitching is so important & still very unsettled. This is but one of 60-ish games....and the final of a weekend series we've dominated. Maybe the team can learn from it.

Signed,
Trying to Stay Positive

65Jacket

GT Athlete
We really need dominant starting pitching from at least three guys to be competitive in ACC tourney and NCAAs. Mid-week can be staff.

So we have about 3 months to get our three starters firing on all cylinders. Gibson can start that dominance today. Please: 5 good innings today.

Back on Hughes, I think this is very typical for post Tommy John when pitchers take a while to get the accuracy and the mental aspect back. For sure, he'll be back in the groove by next year (sigh) and hopefully sooner. The coaches think Hughes is close to turning a corner or hopefully wouldn't be investing the playing time in him ......
Hughes did not have Tommy John. He had bone chips and a loose growth plate. They removed the chips and reattached the growth plate.
On another issue, how do guys like Gibson and Gooden come so highly rated and can't throw strikes. We have had a long legacy of guys who fit that mold, including one who now pitches for Pittsburgh (I believe). The season does not look as promising as I had hoped in light of this performance by two pitchers we really need.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hughes did not have Tommy John. He had bone chips and a loose growth plate. They removed the chips and reattached the growth plate.
On another issue, how do guys like Gibson and Gooden come so highly rated and can't throw strikes. We have had a long legacy of guys who fit that mold, including one who now pitches for Pittsburgh (I believe). The season does not look as promising as I had hoped in light of this performance by two pitchers we really need.

Thanks for the info on Tristin. I thought that Tristin had some cartilage removed from his leg to repair his elbow. So is that how the growth plate was reattached? Not that it really matters. Here's my real question, "Will the extent of Tristin's procedure have a similar impact on how he recovers to what Tommy John surgery patients experience?"

On the rhetorical question of Gibson and Gooden; all I can say is that this weekend's pitching performance has brought that angst back to the surface. Over the last decade, GT can hit well; GT can play defense well; GT can't pitch well.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the info on Tristin. I thought that Tristin had some cartilage removed from his leg to repair his elbow. So is that how the growth plate was reattached? Not that it really matters. Here's my real question, "Will the extent of Tristin's procedure have a similar impact on how he recovers to what Tommy John surgery patients experience?"

On the rhetorical question of Gibson and Gooden; all I can say is that this weekend's pitching performance has brought that angst back to the surface. Over the last decade, GT can hit well; GT can play defense well; GT can't pitch well.
Trying to keep up with the group..,
@GTNavyNuke, the response/comment from @65Jacket was regarding Hughes (not Tristin English)
Hughes - No TJ (pitched yesterday)
English- Yes TJ (out for 2017)

Am I helping, or making things worse?

65Jacket

GT Athlete

Tristan is English and he had Tommy John. Jonathan is Hughes and he had the bone spurs and growth plate. You are confusing the two.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer

If this were football, and defense, ST, OL, DL,or some other specialty area was holding back reaching campionship goal there would be an outcry for a coaching change of that specialty. Seems that we may need a new pitching coach or new approach in finding and developing pitchers.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
If this were football, and defense, ST, OL, DL,or some other specialty area was holding back reaching campionship goal there would be an outcry for a coaching change of that specialty. Seems that we may need a new pitching coach or new approach in finding and developing pitchers.
All right which of you guys convinced Danny Hall to let you be the starting pitcher yesterday? Eight runs in the 2nd inning?