Youngstown State

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Despite the 0-3 start, they do have a kid with this stat line through 3 games....
KENDRICK, Andrew
BA: .417
AB: 12
R: 5
H: 5
HR: 5
RBI: 11
TB: 20
SLG: 1.667

He, Kel, and 1 other player are tied atop the NCAA's HR leaderboard with 5HRs each.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Is Hughes really a Fr.-RS as the release in the above link indicates?
Would have thought he appeared in enough games last year to void a RS season?

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan
He is a RS-F. Must have been due to the medical, I think he couldn't compete in more than 30% of the games then as to apply for it.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
e31.jpg

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hope we break 20 today. Scored in 5 straight innings. We raped their starter who was their Friday starter last year pretty good in the first.

Winborne is looking good. 14 strikes in 19 pitches. (74%)

Curry looked ok other than struggling a lot in the 4th giving up 3 runs and pitched 5 innings .... 95 pitches and only 55 strikes (58%). Should have been a lot better given the lead we had with 8 in the first. Just throw strikes (like telling a runner to just run fast).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Did anything happen to Hughes or did the staff just decide to use him 3 innings?

Hughes was just off. 41 pitches and 21 strikes. Just didn't have it. Gave up lead off hit batters in two innings and lead off walk in another.

Against real competition, he's have given up a lot more runs than the one he did.

Fortunately, I've been doing some useful things around the house.

Now 13-6. A HR by McCann and nice sac fly by Wade. Another error by YS and misplayed fly ball in OF. Just ugly.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Did anything happen to Hughes or did the staff just decide to use him 3 innings?

Same question. I see from box score Hughes was lifted after 3 innings, and apparently wasn't real sharp....hit batsmen, walks, a bit wild. Injury or what?

NEVER MIND....just saw Navy's earlier reply

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
6-0. Can't win any more than that.

This offense is a murder's row. 17 hits, 5 walks and only 5 SOs. To add insult to injury ...... 6 stolen bases.

Defense pretty good except for a casual one hand drop by Peurifoy leading to some unearned runs. But then Peurifoy made lots of great plays today too with lots of range and playing a tricky wind.

My ranking of pitchers today: Carpenter, Archer, Datoc, Shadday and then Hughes. Still no Gooden. WREK talked about Gooden being a great player for us in the future but some issues with throwing strikes now ........

Last edited:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
6-0. Can't win any more than that.

This offense is a murder's row. 17 hits, 5 walks and only 5 SOs. To add insult to injury ...... 6 stolen bases.

Defense pretty good except for a casual one hand drop by Peurifoy leading to some unearned runs. But then Peurifoy made lots of great plays today too with lots of range and playing a tricky wind.

My ranking of pitchers today: Carpenter, Archer, Datoc, Shadday and then Hughes. Still no Gooden. WREK talked about Gooden being a great player for us in the future but some issues with throwing strikes now ........
^^^ This.
....& by my math Hughes has one more start before he gets Miami. Goes for Curry too.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We really, REALLY need Hughes to be his former self in these starts....

We really need dominant starting pitching from at least three guys to be competitive in ACC tourney and NCAAs. Mid-week can be staff.

So we have about 3 months to get our three starters firing on all cylinders. Gibson can start that dominance today. Please: 5 good innings today.

Back on Hughes, I think this is very typical for post Tommy John when pitchers take a while to get the accuracy and the mental aspect back. For sure, he'll be back in the groove by next year (sigh) and hopefully sooner. The coaches think Hughes is close to turning a corner or hopefully wouldn't be investing the playing time in him ......