Yellow Jackets going to the Bahamas

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks DTM for posting the stats. Good to see the team playing with some confidence. Can't believe Ogbonda got 13 pts. in barely 13 minutes. I wonder if Providence had any height. Lammers continues to impress...get him minutes this season.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@Ramblingon the team & hoops SID have done a great job documenting the trip using social media. Gotta say, the culture shift towards more transparency & putting a person with the name has been really great over the past couple of years.

3rd & final game of the trip is underway today.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Has Tech played 3 games? I've only seen scores on 2.
3rd game literally just ended, but they already posted today's 1st half. Jacobs looks impressive around the rim &, sure to make @Peacone36 happy, finishes with his left (because he appears to be a lefty).

Closed out strong. Successful trip across multiple fronts.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I've watched 1 full quarter of the 3 games and I think I feel comfortable saying Travis will be the undisputed starter at PG and get the lion's share of PG minutes. Maybe I should watch more than 1 quarter, but my gut is telling me that's how it goes down.

Also, having watched 1 full quarter from this trip, Nick Jacobs appears to be money around the rim.

Items I'll need to watch more in order to confirm.
  • As money as Jacobs is on offense, he may need a defensive presence with him on the floor in the post.
  • Q looks to have gained some strength & athleticism finally, but I think AD's length may result in him seeing a lot more minutes this year. Could develop in to an Anthony McHenry type defender.
  • Something to keep in mind with this trip is that we played FIBA rules. Also, 3rd game was at 1:30PM, coming off of a 7:30 PM game the night before. Quicker shot clock, longer 3pt line, & fatigue could explain today's lesser shooting stats (and they were way off from previous days).
Meanwhile, here's the 3rd quarter from today.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I can't read stats well but looks like last yr.TO to asst -weak.Basically dominate the boards and play decent team DEF. btw-- Anybody who scores 31 on 11-15 with FTs at 90% is a nice upgrade.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I've watched 1 full quarter of the 3 games and I think I feel comfortable saying Travis will be the undisputed starter at PG and get the lion's share of PG minutes. Maybe I should watch more than 1 quarter, but my gut is telling me that's how it goes down.

Also, having watched 1 full quarter from this trip, Nick Jacobs appears to be money around the rim.

Items I'll need to watch more in order to confirm.
  • As money as Jacobs is on offense, he may need a defensive presence with him on the floor in the post.
  • Q looks to have gained some strength & athleticism finally, but I think AD's length may result in him seeing a lot more minutes this year. Could develop in to an Anthony McHenry type defender.
  • Something to keep in mind with this trip is that we played FIBA rules. Also, 3rd game was at 1:30PM, coming off of a 7:30 PM game the night before. Quicker shot clock, longer 3pt line, & fatigue could explain today's lesser shooting stats (and they were way off from previous days).
Meanwhile, here's the 3rd quarter from today.

we didn't get all those fast break lay-ups/dunks like before so FG stats go way down
btw-how good was this opponent suppose to be?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I can't read stats well but looks like last yr.TO to asst -weak.Basically dominate the boards and play decent team DEF. btw-- Anybody who scores 31 on 11-15 with FTs at 90% is a nice upgrade.
Previous 2 games, the A/TO ratio appeared to be much better. Also, about half of those TOs were in the post, although Josh Heath did not handle well today.

That said, today's game was less than 24 hours after last night's and 3rd in 4 days. Sloppiness at this point of the trip should be somewhat expected.

@alaguy - I don't think it's fair to bag on the down performances and I think it's equally unfair to highly praise the up performances. None of these opponents are going to be particularly good, although yesterday's beat UNC by 1pt last year. Also, the goal here was to get some extra run & practices in by taking advantage of what's allowable under NCAA rules.

Let's not forget MGH, Adam Smith, & James White didn't play on this trip, the tight turnaround on games (3 in 3.5 days, essentially), and use of FIBA rules (longer 3pt line, 24sec clock).

The success of this trip wasn't going to be measured by Ws & Ls, but younger & new players gaining confidence, developing team chemistry, and identify where the needs for improvement are.

4th quarters & a local interview with BG are posted

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Another post-game interview with BG where he points out both positives & areas for improvement.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Couple of thoughts based on the box score and comments on this thread. (Haven't watched any of the games yet).

If Lammers could give us 7pts and 8 rbs per game shooting over 50% from the field and 80% from the line - i'd take that all year long. His defensive presence could keep him on the floor alot with either Mitchell or Jacobs.
Jacobs showed exactly what I think he is - a very strong offensive performer. Since his SR year of HS he was known as a very productive low post performer. He's a lefty and is deadly from that side - has a great left hook. I expect him to score in bunches.
Mitchell looks solid.

Jorgy looks like he is taking hold of the PG position - this is hugely important. If we can have good quality ACC PG play that significantly increases the potential upside, not just for this year but the next couple. Wish he had shot better from 3-pt range, but love everything else in his stat line. I'd take 9 ppg, 5 apg (against only 1 TO per game) all season long - especially if he can shoot 40% FG and 80% FT.

Q still feels like a disappointment to me - come on Q.

After shooting 33% his first game, Tadric shot 48% his last 2. We need that kind of more efficient scoring from him. His 3-pt % while not great is still a big step up from last year.

Ogbonda looks surprisingly effective, must be very close in though as his FT are crap.

Cory had a better week than Josh did.

We can see why we still need Adam Smith on this team. If he can spread the defense I think our bigs will score inside.

if Gueye gets on the court this year it will be due to his defense not his offense. He could be battling White for min though once White gets here. White is being tagged as the 6th man type that comes in, plays really strong defense along the backline and grabs a few buckets.

Doesn't look like the competition was the great overall, but it's nice to get the extra practices against other players that do want to beat you and do it without 3 guys that are expected to play starter type min (MGH, Smith and White)

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm a bit more confident about this coming season considering we didn't play MGH, Smith and White, who will generate a lot of our points. Jacobs seems to be as RRed has assessed. I continue to want Lammers playing as he can contribute and he will be needed heavily in 2016-17. And Ogbonda is a surprise. Hoping this team does well this season and this extra practice and play can't hurt.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Jacobs is in line to have a big season. As you have pointed out before, Nick is much more of a natural scorer than Demarco Cox.

I love some of the progressions that Travis seemed to make. In addition to Asst/TO ratio, I saw him finish at the bucket and knock in a couple of floaters as well.
Becoming a scoring threat will make him even more deadly with those dishes..

Corey appeared to be play more off of the ball than I have seen him in the past, and he also seemed to be a bit more aggressive than in the past.
It would be nice to see him actually become a scoring threat. He could be a nice contributor in the back-court rotation:

AD is intriguing to me. He length really presents a problem on defense. He seems to be a pretty good shot blocker as a help defender.
Still think that he is a year (and a few more lbs) away from being a contributor.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
without probably 2 of our top 3 scorers (and outside shooters),we did ok
I think Ogbanda will be ok, his FTs don't look that bad
Scary that Heath got eaten -up by that dude playing Def on him in that last game,strength matters