Ye olde coachinge debates

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

We were rarely in the wrong play. Also how many games started with the first offensive play going for a touchdown. Then how many first drives. I get you hate the man but trying to pretend he isnt one of the greatest minds to ever coach thr game would be basically like denying the same thing about belechik because you hate him.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
We were rarely in the wrong play. Also how many games started with the first offensive play going for a touchdown. Then how many first drives. I get you hate the man but trying to pretend he isnt one of the greatest minds to ever coach thr game would be basically like denying the same thing about belechik because you hate him.

CPJ was a very good coach for us and probably HOF worthy if you add his time at Navy and GaSou. But some of you guys are laying it on a little thick, honestly, and acting like he won multiple nattys here. Plus, this is a Collins thread. Lets not get it off track and end up getting it locked over people arguing about CPJ.

Milwaukee

Banned

Wow. That just happened.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Wow. That just happened.

Its the truth. And none of this discounts what collins can do here or might do here. Collins is the best marketer and may end up being the best recruiter in the game. Coaches can have different levels of excellence in different things. Dabo for instance is the best CEO style coach out there. He can motivate anyone to play their tail off for him. Cpj wasnt that kind of coach he was always an xs and os guy. He was old school most of these coaches are gone and retired now they dont resonate with todays players. Thats a fact as well we are about to see the otherside of the experiment.

We should consider ourselves fortunate.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

I've tried to stay out of this, but since the mods are letting multiple threads become extensions of the now closed Thank You Paul....

I'll give you that Johnson was and is without parallel when it comes to designing and installing run blocking. No doubt about it.

As a head coach--and that was his title and his pay grade--he was mediocre. A 53-53 FBS record over the past 9 years is pretty much the definition of mediocrity. His fans can make all the excuses they want, but 53-53 is mediocre, and that's an objective fact. I can cite other objective facts, like Johnson having the lowest FBS win percentage of any GT coach since Lewis, but I'll stop there.

For those that question whether Collins can or will do better, the bar is actually pretty low. However, I don't expect to see a real improvement for 4 years. There is a lot to fix, which is why Stansbury gave Collins such a long contract.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I've tried to stay out of this, but since the mods are letting multiple threads become extensions of the now closed Thank You Paul....

I'll give you that Johnson was and is without parallel when it comes to designing and installing run blocking. No doubt about it.

As a head coach--and that was his title and his pay grade--he was mediocre. A 53-53 FBS record over the past 9 years is pretty much the definition of mediocrity. His fans can make all the excuses they want, but 53-53 is mediocre, and that's an objective fact. I can cite other objective facts, like Johnson having the lowest FBS win percentage of any GT coach since Lewis, but I'll stop there.

For those that question whether Collins can or will do better, the bar is actually pretty low. However, I don't expect to see a real improvement for 4 years. There is a lot to fix, which is why Stansbury gave Collins such a long contract.

And the original post I made was about him getting hired into a rolw where all he ever has to do is the x's and o's. But why stop at lewis. Johnson had a better fbs win percentage than curry, and rodgers and hell ross really only had the 1 good year at tech. You're an old timer, you should know this.

Rodgers was 31-31-2 if you take out fcs so i guess maybe that's the same, how do you count ties? also clemson at this time might as well have been fcs

Curry was 31-43-4 i'm not even going to go extract out fcs from him.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
And the original post I made was about him getting hired into a rolw where all he ever has to do is the x's and o's. But why stop at lewis. Johnson had a better fbs win percentage than curry, and rodgers and hell ross really only had the 1 good year at tech. You're an old timer, you should know this.

Ross and Curry had better records their last 2 years than their first two years. Both walked into a mess, although for different reasons. They both left things better than they found them.

Johnson's record his last 2 years was worse--by far--than his first 2 years. You can't say he left things better than he found them.

I could debate this all night, but the bottom line is that looking at his whole body of work, Johnson was a mediocre head coach.
53-53 FBS over the last 9 years. There is nothing else to debate.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Ross and Curry had better records their last 2 years than their first two years. Both walked into a mess, although for different reasons. They both left things better than they found them.

Johnson's record his last 2 years was worse--by far--than his first 2 years. You can't say he left things better than he found them.

I could debate this all night, but the bottom line is that looking at his whole body of work, Johnson was a mediocre head coach.

Ross only coached 5 years. He had two really bad years to start. Johnson still rebuilt for 2014 and did fine. 2015 was abnormal as hell and don't care what head coach you have that kills any team. 2016 was a rebound. The last two years yeah they had a problem and its why he retired rather than drag on. He wasn't going anywhere otherwise. (hell we beat USF and Pitt last year he probably doesn't retire.)

Though you are bringing up a head coaching record into something talking about X's and O's.

Also curry had one good year at 9-2-1 the next year back to 5-5-1 and then ross had to fix his mess. So what you just set can't be true. Either curry left the program in a good state and ross did not inherit a mess and go 2-9 with it. Or curry did not leave the program in a better state and ross inherited a mess.

edited out the question to just make the clear point

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

I get that you love CPJ more than you do GT, but how many games, especially this last year, did we come out of the gate not ready to go? Where was that great mind after all the time to prepare for Minnesota?

And “your Worst (WORST) nightmare is that Clemson (having held us to an average of 15.5 pts. per game to their 35.5 pts. per game the last 4 years) will hire CPJ as a Defensive analyst. Heck, if that is your WORST nightmare then CGC is going to have nothing to worry about.

CPJ had some great games and some lousy games (that your great love for him and hatred of GT and CGC will not allow you to admit). And our opponents are going to hire him to analyze our O when he doesn’t even know what we will run.

Gosh I hope Dabo doesn’t run with your idea of hiring CPJ as a D analyst. The horror. The WORST that can happen for us.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Rodgers was 31-31-2 if you take out fcs so i guess maybe that's the same, how do you count ties? also clemson at this time might as well have been fcs

Curry was 31-43-4 i'm not even going to go extract out fcs from him.

Curry is scum to me, but what is your coaches record if his schedule was made up of ugag, uf, ut, bama, Clemson, n.d., Auburn, top 5 rated unc?

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I liked CPJ as much as anyone but see no reason why we can't like CPJ and also like CGC . All I want to see is Tech win. I still think we have a lot better season this year then most think, looks like the players are working hard
I agree with you, Stech. I don’t get this CPJ vs CGC battle going in, and the constant mindless accusations of “if you don’t agree with me then you must like Coach XYZ more than GT”. I could start a thread that said nothing more than “Good morning” and the CPJ haters would accuse me of saying mornings under CGC will be good but not the afternoons and the CGC haters would accuse me of stating that mornings under CPJ must not have been good. I like and appreciate both and would rather spend my time pulling for GT than rehashing tired old biases.

DenverJacket56

Georgia Tech Fan
First off, I have always been a big supporter of CPJ and mostly enjoyed his 08-16 teams. However, I could definitely see the decline in the program over the last two years and I would credit it all to CPJ himself. His failures to hire a top notch DC, recruit and develop more talented QB’s and unwillingness to adapt to the new age of recruiting; put him on a path of “early retirement”. From the looks of it so far, Stansbury hit the jackpot with Collins. If he can somehow have the same level of success on the field as he is having off the field with rallying the fan base and recruits, we have some exciting times ahead. This jacket is on the CGC train and looking forward to some good times. Long live Waffle House!

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I get that you love CPJ more than you do GT, but how many games, especially this last year, did we come out of the gate not ready to go? Where was that great mind after all the time to prepare for Minnesota?

And “your Worst (WORST) nightmare is that Clemson (having held us to an average of 15.5 pts. per game to their 35.5 pts. per game the last 4 years) will hire CPJ as a Defensive analyst. Heck, if that is your WORST nightmare then CGC is going to have nothing to worry about.

CPJ had some great games and some lousy games (that your great love for him and hatred of GT and CGC will not allow you to admit). And our opponents are going to hire him to analyze our O when he doesn’t even know what we will run.

Gosh I hope Dabo doesn’t run with your idea of hiring CPJ as a D analyst. The horror. The WORST that can happen for us.

You really are assuming I don't like GT and Collins and that I didn't watch every single one of Chan Gailey's games as well because it was Georgia Tech. Seems like a lot of people are projecting their own insecurities on other people around here. Grow up.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

You are correct but, at this point i chose to let a sleeping dog lie.