Yates, the leader.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Its okay to be excited about the potential of a 4 star QB. It goes without saying that nothing is guaranteed, so I am not sure why someone has to be Captain Obvious and remind us of that in every thread. If we limit ourselves to discussing only what has been achieved on the field, the offseason will be very quiet and there would be no point in discussing recruiting at all. Lol

Why do differing opinions trigger you so much? I could understand your beef if someone said Yates wasn’t all that good in H.S. because of stars or something. That could be refuted with stats etc. But no one said anything negative about him.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Why do differing opinions trigger you so much? I could understand your beef if someone said Yates wasn’t all that good in H.S. because of stars or something. That could be refuted with stats etc. But no one said anything negative about him.

I would rather someone bring up an actual reason to be skeptical of a recruit rather than just say. Hey, he may or may not be good. People can say whatever they want, but it is akin to saying "I predict we will either win or lose" a particular game. Its not inaccurate, but it adds nothing to the discussion because it is literally a given.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Pssst. *whispers in ear*

It’s not popular around here lately to express any skepticism.

I have to agree with you however. It’s so hard to project recruits. I’m very excited about his potential though. He had talent, ability, and that “it factor” in hs. Hopefully all that transfers to college ball also.
I agree with both of you. ( does that work :) )

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm excited about Yates. But I'm just as excited to see the stable of qb's ahead of him and how the competition plays out. To single out Yates at this point is a slight against our returning qb's, imo. The last two phenom true frosh didn't start as freshmen, either. Reality suggests this one has a lot to prove to see the field.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
How many of us watched the State Championship game with Yates at the helm? I did. Although a single game is a small sample size, a state championship game is a little more telling than a routine game against an outclassed opponent. From my perspective, there is a heck of a lot to like. It looks like he:

1. Sees the field
2. Knows his offense and makes good quick decisions
3. Gets the ball out quickly
4. Puts the ball on the money, even when not having time to step into the throw properly
5. Keeps his eyes downfield and looks to distribute the ball before simply taking off prematurely. He is a really good runner, but hasn't fallen into the trap of being a runner who "tries" to play qb.
6. His body language indicates he believes he is "in charge" out there.

Obviously, there is a lot to prove at this level, but there is good reason to be excited. Without him on the field, Milton had no chance. He was definitely the straw that was stirring the drink.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I think we need to temper expectations a little here. We don’t even know if we’re going to see him starting for a couple years while he gets bigger, stronger, and better. This isn’t basketball where an 18 year old can come in and dominate 21 and 22 year olds.

Jamious winston did l...

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Didn't mean to start anything. I just feel he fits the bill as a qb personality. Charming, intelligent, athletic, articulate, and knows the game. We haven't had that in YEARS. This kid could put GT on the map if he flourishes the way we want him to. He has the intangibles of a superstar. Now can he translate it to the college game and average say 3000+yards and say 30+ tds a year for 2 or 3 years.

MikeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Didn't mean to start anything. I just feel he fits the bill as a qb personality. Charming, intelligent, athletic, articulate, and knows the game. We haven't had that in YEARS. This kid could put GT on the map if he flourishes the way we want him to. He has the intangibles of a superstar. Now can he translate it to the college game and average say 3000+yards and say 30+ tds a year for 2 or 3 years.

Charming, intelligent, athletic, articulate, and knows the game - These words exactly describe TaQuon... I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the broadcasting world in the future due to those qualities. When he interned at the radio station, those guys couldn't say enough nice things about him. He had other limitations, but it's completely wrong to say we haven't had those particular qualities in YEARS.

I like everything I've seen about Yates thus far, and I hope he's an outstanding QB for us in the future. However, I hope the same about every QB on the roster.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I would rather someone bring up an actual reason to be skeptical of a recruit rather than just say. Hey, he may or may not be good. People can say whatever they want, but it is akin to saying "I predict we will either win or lose" a particular game. Its not inaccurate, but it adds nothing to the discussion because it is literally a given.

That posters philosophy on recruits in general appears to be a wait and see philosophy. There isn’t anything wrong with that approach. There was nothing to “call out.”

It’s actually quite a bit different than a lot of the message board wars about Brad Stewart for example.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I'm excited to see how Yates performs for this team! He single handedly won his team a State Championship in the hardest class (6A) but I dont see him getting too much playing time this year, unless he's the next Trevor Lawrence. I think Lucas will have something to say about that lol

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Nothing in his film has indicated to me that Jordan Yates is Jamious Winston or Trevor Lawrence. I just refuse to put on the fan blinders for this one but respect your opinions if you want to.

No one is saying Yates is the next coming of...we're just all appreciating his HS accomplishments and what a teammate and leader he's developing into. Some of us are comparing his style to certain other players, but we're not saying that's who he is or will become. His play when he gets here will determine that.

Until then, it's OK to appreciate a recruit who most of us feel will be good addition to our football program.