Xavier Gantt

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
How many TD's did Kelly have returning punts? I would say zero doesn't qualify as truly dynamic, although he was pretty fun to watch
Totally agree.

Loved his fearlessness and his style, but I'm very aware we've had several better returners since then.

Hadnt thought about him in a while, so I figured I'd give a quick shoutout.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
LOVED Gant's HS film. He's in the mold of the ABs we've started recruiting: Athletes that having good running ability and are good receivers. Not just the "pony back" type RBs CPJ started out recruiting when he first got here. The shift in signing the athletes at AB is one good reason (among several) why our passing game has improved IMO.

AB is a tough position to break into. Exprience laden position, and it's probably one of the deepest groups in terms of pure talent. If you're getting playing time as a freshmen or sophomore here, it's because you've got a LOT of talent.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Gantt may have been in there with Jarrett on the last series. He came in around 164#s as did Jarrett but is a year behind in growth. I believe Jarrett is around 175#s now. It is hard to block at that size, especially when competing with the 190# ABs who have 3+ years of technique and weight training. With grad attrition he may get two years to contribute but the ABs are full up the next two seasons. I see him playing a role like Tony Zenon as a JR-Sr.

Replay clearly shows #46, Gantt, starting the last play of the game at the right AB spot.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Gantt looked good in the passing game in the final spring scrimmage. Quick enough to get open and sure handed. I am not particularly worried about him. He'll get his chance and I think he'll excel at that time.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Gantt may have been in there with Jarrett on the last series. He came in around 164#s as did Jarrett but is a year behind in growth. I believe Jarrett is around 175#s now. It is hard to block at that size, especially when competing with the 190# ABs who have 3+ years of technique and weight training. With grad attrition he may get two years to contribute but the ABs are full up the next two seasons. I see him playing a role like Tony Zenon as a JR-Sr.
Doubt it takes that long for him to see the field. He's a RS-FR and probably makes it into the rotation next year after we lose Green, if not some by the end of this year.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Doubt it takes that long for him to see the field. He's a RS-FR and probably makes it into the rotation next year after we lose Green, if not some by the end of this year.

Maybe. Gantt will be competing next year for the fourth AB spot with Jarrett and maybe Mason. Unexpected injuries or attrition could change things. Gantt could be used earlier for receiving and wide plays until he muscles up enough to be a dependable blocker. I am pulling for him but do not expect him to pass Searcy, Lynch, or Cottrell for any appreciable PT.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I don't know man...on punts I just want the dude to catch the ball and run forward. Rhino was perfect. Muffed punts are such a momentum killer...the 1999 Georgia game comes to mind when Marvious Hester dropped the punt. We were up 14 getting the ball back...that game had an incredible ending, but we should have just gone up 21 and ended that thing right then...didn't have to come to that.

Kickoffs are a bit different...seems like they are easier to field than punts, with a whole lot less pressure on you, as well. Get someone back there on kickoffs that can take it the house. JJ is pretty solid...