WTF, GT is only favored by 1 over UCF??

MountPGT1990

Banned
Shocked to see that line from Veags!!
GT at -1 to -2. Maybe we truly aren't as good as I was thinking. I thought minimum line would be GT -6, but was expecting more like -11 type line.

at -1, Vegas knows something I sure don't . Maybe it is in our best interest to have this game canceled. Lose this one and I have a hard time seeing us make it to a bowl game this year

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
UCF has a good defense and a soft bye week before us. It's in the road too. My computer analytics have us as a 6 point favorite so the spread isn't terribly wrong

slugboy

Staff member
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa
GT is 73rd percentile and number 33.
UCF is 47th percentile and number 68. But, we're playing there, at least as of now.
Lots of pre-season bias still in there.
In Sagarin, we're #26 (predictor: 80.51, 79.03 recent ) vs. #55 UCM (predictor: 71.3, 71.4 recent).

Should be about a 4 point spread. Guess JSU is scaring people.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
jZ8N3_s-200x150.gif

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I like it. Would not hurt my feelings if we were dogs in the matchup. Guys, if you haven't figured it out by now, with our defense (and this is not new), there is NO sure win we can count on.

Now, I want to make it perfectly clear that I believe our guys are giving maximum effort on D. I am just saying we are not big and we are not exceptionally fast. That makes blocking our defenders not ridiculously difficult.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I like it. Would not hurt my feelings if we were dogs in the matchup. Guys, if you haven't figured it out by now, with our defense (and this is not new), there is NO sure win we can count on.

Now, I want to make it perfectly clear that I believe our guys are giving maximum effort on D. I am just saying we are not big and we are not exceptionally fast. That makes blocking our defenders not ridiculously difficult.
Maximum effort? Maybe. Not big and fast enough? Yes we are. We are definitely not a very good defense but we are plenty talented and there are plenty of times when we have shown we can be good. Not being big and fast enough isn’t the reason we are slow to react, make the wrong reads and go the wrong direction.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
My two cents: 2015 cost us greatly. We were viewed favorably starting the year. Had we had a so-so year, say 8-5, I think we might have hung in. But that awful year put us right back into oblivion. The good news is we can restore it pretty fast with another good year this year.

Also, I am not of the opinion that the polls will take care of themselves and it is a good thing to be underrated.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I do not understand why folks get so worked up over where their team's "lines" are. If you really believe we're that disrespected or underrated... or more to the point, if we "truly" ARE wrt to the odds-makers, then you should be making tons of money on Tech's games. I don't gamble... but I assume Vegas knows what its doing and nobody can quit their day jobs and make a living betting on Ga Tech.

No bookie will be laying a block or defending a pass in Orlando Sat. In fact, they could not care less about how good or bad our team is...and they mean no disrespect. They want 50% of the money on both sides of the line. How can one take it "personally"?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I do not understand why folks get so worked up over where their team's "lines" are. If you really believe we're that disrespected or underrated... or more to the point, if we "truly" ARE wrt to the odds-makers, then you should be making tons of money on Tech's games. I don't gamble... but I assume Vegas knows what its doing and nobody can quit their day jobs and make a living betting on Ga Tech.

No bookie will be laying a block or defending a pass on in Orlando Sat. In fact, they could not care less about how good or bad our team is...and they mean no disrespect. They want 50% of the money on both sides of the line. How can one take it "personally"?
You make a very good point Fred!(y) I remember in 1990 how everyone was picking Duke to bring GT "back down to earth";)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
My two cents: 2015 cost us greatly. We were viewed favorably starting the year. Had we had a so-so year, say 8-5, I think we might have hung in. But that awful year put us right back into oblivion. The good news is we can restore it pretty fast with another good year this year.

Also, I am not of the opinion that the polls will take care of themselves and it is a good thing to be underrated.

Polls have zero affect on winning the division/conference.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Maximum effort? Maybe. Not big and fast enough? Yes we are. We are definitely not a very good defense but we are plenty talented and there are plenty of times when we have shown we can be good. Not being big and fast enough isn’t the reason we are slow to react, make the wrong reads and go the wrong direction.

Agree to disagree. Our talent level at D is still bottom half of division 1, at best. With that said, you may be right about reads and wrong directions, but I think we have difficulty stopping a good throwing QB with weapons, no matter, because our pass rush is weak, even when we send extras.

Deleted member 2897

No bookie will be laying a block or defending a pass in Orlando Sat. In fact, they could not care less about how good or bad our team is...and they mean no disrespect. They want 50% of the money on both sides of the line. How can one take it "personally"?

I made a comment about disrespect earlier, so let me clarify. Vegas Lines are essentially crowd sourced opinions. So when I say disrespect, I mean all the people betting on the game (which essentially determines the lines).

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
UCF has a good defense and a soft bye week before us. It's in the road too. My computer analytics have us as a 6 point favorite so the spread isn't terribly wrong

Road games are hard to win. Period. And UCF won their only game so far 61-17. And we lost to a mediocre Tennessee team due to some weaknesses, despite displaying obvious other strengths. -1 sounds about right to me. I would not have been totally shocked if we were +1.