WTF, GT is only favored by 1 over UCF??

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I made a comment about disrespect earlier, so let me clarify. Vegas Lines are essentially crowd sourced opinions. So when I say disrespect, I mean all the people betting on the game (which essentially determines the lines).
Well said... that is the most accurate way to attribute the respect-level... as a "crowd sourced" opinion. ...but its still seems to me that IF really TRUE (we're not respected at the appropriate level), there is money to be made. Not a gambler... but does Tech have an unbelievable record against the spread over the years. ??

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
UCF has a solid team with really good coaches. There's still a lot of football left to play this year but when all's said and done they might end up being the 4th best team we play this year after Clemson, Miami, and UGA. This will probably be a better test of where we are as a team than the UT game.

Edit:

Opening lines at books are not influenced by the crowd, but movement is based on where the bets are being placed. Line movement will tell you either that lots of small bets are moving it or some huge bets by the sharps are moving it. You generally don't know which one is influencing it but if you know the sharps are betting one way they probably know something you don't.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Road games are hard to win. Period. And UCF won their only game so far 61-17. And we lost to a mediocre Tennessee team due to some weaknesses, despite displaying obvious other strengths. -1 sounds about right to me. I would not have been totally shocked if we were +1.

Fwiw, we lost in double overtime to a TN team that was ranked in the top 25.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I like it. Would not hurt my feelings if we were dogs in the matchup. Guys, if you haven't figured it out by now, with our defense (and this is not new), there is NO sure win we can count on.

Now, I want to make it perfectly clear that I believe our guys are giving maximum effort on D. I am just saying we are not big and we are not exceptionally fast. That makes blocking our defenders not ridiculously difficult.
You might just want to mention that our coaching staff ( even PJ ) leaves alot to be desired.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
My two cents: 2015 cost us greatly. We were viewed favorably starting the year. Had we had a so-so year, say 8-5, I think we might have hung in. But that awful year put us right back into oblivion. The good news is we can restore it pretty fast with another good year this year.

Also, I am not of the opinion that the polls will take care of themselves and it is a good thing to be underrated.
The thing that pisses me off is Notre Dame had 4 wins last year yet they were put back in the top 25 by week 2 this year.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
"Is UCF that good or are yall just not that good?"

- the Dawg fan in my office just a few minutes ago.

I had no idea what he was talking about. After hearing the line on the game, I am going to assume a little of both.

ramblinwreckfromgt

Georgia Tech Fan
Here's my opinion:
Better to be a team that shows out and blows everyone's low expectations than to be a team who consistently is expected to do well but never fails to disappoint... *cough**cough* Georgia.... preseason rankings always make them out to be "the team to beat." They start in the top 15 every year and always seem to drop low/out of the rankings... I mean, it's pretty pathetic...

So let's think of on the bright side... We have nowhere to go but up!

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
"Is UCF that good or are yall just not that good?"

- the Dawg fan in my office just a few minutes ago.

I had no idea what he was talking about. After hearing the line on the game, I am going to assume a little of both.

"Would you like to get punched in the throat or do you like getting punched in the throat?"

-one of many appropriate responses to the Dwag fan in your office.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
"Would you like to get punched in the throat or do you like getting punched in the throat?"

-one of many appropriate responses to the Dwag fan in your office.

Since he's my employee, I have to be careful with my reactions to his football talk.

He's a master of the passive aggressive, backhanded statement. My favorite from the off-season was "Does the NCAA limit how many 5 star players a team can sign? Cause Kirby is tearing it up on the recruiting trail and I would not want to miss out on any kid that wants to play for us."

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
Since he's my employee, I have to be careful with my reactions to his football talk.

He's a master of the passive aggressive, backhanded statement. My favorite from the off-season was "Does the NCAA limit how many 5 star players a team can sign? Cause Kirby is tearing it up on the recruiting trail and I would not want to miss out on any kid that wants to play for us."

Sorry for the over the top response. Does uga admit any players who know how to read?

"You're fired."
-another acceptable response.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Maximum effort? Maybe. Not big and fast enough? Yes we are. We are definitely not a very good defense but we are plenty talented and there are plenty of times when we have shown we can be good. Not being big and fast enough isn’t the reason we are slow to react, make the wrong reads and go the wrong direction.

Jeff.
Think what you want ,we are one of the smallest defs in big 5.That may not hurt really but we do NOT make up for that by being very being quick,fast, nor particularly instinctive.Add in questionable def schemes and we are not that good even though we have lots of exp.. If you want to see good def ,see the clem /awbern game. wow!

btw-I still can not believe UT loses 2 OTs and BEST WR, runs 96 plays (while we should be fresh) and still moves on us at end like we are FCS.

also-It may not mean much, but I saw in the unc game, a Lville back broke free down sidelines --60 yds down field he was caught from behind by a DEF TACKLE--6-6,300 lbs. Now that is athletic ability (and desire).and unc isn't that good.