Wright State - Opening Weekend

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm wondering if Bartnicki could have used a longer leash. He may have been able to shut it down but instead we watched a floundering bullpen.

Yes, a win is a win. But good God that was too tense.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm tempering my panic/concern. Lots of good pitching tonight. Really good stuff out of Huff, Grissom, Mannelly, & Brown.

Outs 1-24 went per expectations. 25-27... a little tumultuous.

You can't make an error on routine GB to start 9th. Just can't do that.

We won & PLENTY of coachable things to keep team focused & not over-confident.

On pace to be 55-0. 😃

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
One bad pitch by Huff when he had a chance to get out of the inning, and a bullpen meltdown weren’t encouraging for sure. But the pitchers are going to take a little bit of time to get stretched out and get use to their roles. I know it’s been debated over the years, but I think pitching has to catch up to hitting these days. Chandler Simpson is going to be huge for us this year. Glad to see him impact the game like he did tonight. That was a gut wrenching T9, so I’m glad we fought back and got the win.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Am I the only one who cringes when Hall comes up to bat with runners in scoring position? Three times with the bases loaded and no hits today and feel like this has been the case for about three years now. I guess he's in there for his defense but why not bat him lower in the lineup.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
While the sun was out it was a pleasant day at the park, but when it went down, sheesh.

Huff looked good today. One flukey wind aided homer, but other than that he really controlled the game. Surprised Grissom isn’t slated to start on Sundays, but he looked good in his 2 innings. Maybe he is going to be the midweek guy? As a 5th year senior Mannelly really shoved. He looks a lot stronger this year than he’s ever been. His breaking ball has always been good, but is now even more effective that he’s 90-92 instead of 87-89. We just won’t talk about the 9th.

I thought early the hitters looked really off-balance. I don’t know if their guy was throwing harder than what they expected (touched 95), or if it’s just early season rust. Even though there were some good ABs in deep counts or hitters counts, nobody really put good swings on the ball. As the game went on everybody started to look more comfortable at the plate. I’m sure that was also a by product of WS having lower quality arms in their pen.

As Opening Days go this was a pretty good one. Excited to see Maxwell as a starter. The only start I remember him having was against UGA at Coolray in 2020, and that didn’t go well at all. The dude has electrifying stuff, but has really struggled to be consistent with it. I haven’t seen him at al this spring but everyone seems to act like he’s at least somewhat figured it out. Hope it shows up.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Cardiac Kids are back.

I think we played well for 8 innings and 3:30. Huff and Grissom really encouraging. At the end both teams looked bad, probably due the extended cold.

We won't have that in Omaha. Seriously, we won. Wright State is good but burned their best pitchers. We have even more of an advantage now.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Am I the only one who cringes when Hall comes up to bat with runners in scoring position? Three times with the bases loaded and no hits today and feel like this has been the case for about three years now. I guess he's in there for his defense but why not bat him lower in the lineup.

Be careful criticizing him on this board. There’s a few who will defend him to the death. Even in the face of clear and obvious statistical reasons evidence across multiple seasons.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer

Looks like ESPN doesn’t want to let me watch games anymore so I’m gonna have to figure ACCN out, but YouTube had full game highlights. I had seen the final at bat on IG and noticed they had to review the play at the plate and was thinking to myself “why on earth are we having a play at the plate with one out?” Well watching the YouTube highlights answered that as you can hear the commentator say “Borden tagged up as he should have done…and then ran through the most egregious stop sign I’ve ever seen.” Go big or go home I guess!

702🔜404

Georgia Tech Fan
It was on the ESPN app. You can stream it to your tv. I was traveling and had to watch it later

Attachments

• D334636D-3656-44EA-9D5E-D4A87482B844.jpeg
    D334636D-3656-44EA-9D5E-D4A87482B844.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
It was on the ESPN app. You can stream it to your tv. I was traveling and had to watch it later

Yeah but it’s on ACCN/ACCNX so you have to log into a service provider with which you have those channels. And apparently the Verizon account I use doesn’t have it anymore.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Looks like ESPN doesn’t want to let me watch games anymore so I’m gonna have to figure ACCN out, but YouTube had full game highlights. I had seen the final at bat on IG and noticed they had to review the play at the plate and was thinking to myself “why on earth are we having a play at the plate with one out?” Well watching the YouTube highlights answered that as you can hear the commentator say “Borden tagged up as he should have done…and then ran through the most egregious stop sign I’ve ever seen.” Go big or go home I guess!

Lol on the stop sign since he scored. Maybe L'Ville doesn't believe in stop signs. Will be interesting to see how much he plays.

I watched game fine on Sling. Only gripe is that I can't record ACCNX stuff but can others ( ACCN ESPN)

Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't say how impressed I was with the pitching changes. Like the MLB. This time of year is the time to do it and get as many in as possible. I do discount the ninth to some extent since it was so cold. I'll wait to criticize until I see more. Before the ninth was very good.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Lol on the stop sign since he scored. Maybe L'Ville doesn't believe in stop signs. Will be interesting to see how much he plays.

I watched game fine on Sling. Only gripe is that I can't record ACCNX stuff but can others ( ACCN ESPN)
You "situation" experts can clue me in...

But if on 2nd with 1 out & ball hit to outfield, he should have been halfway (not tagging) too. If ball is caught still in scoring position & you aren't making 3rd out at 3rd if throw out tagging. If ball is dropped...like it was, you score standing. I assume he ignored Ramsey on both issues.