Wright State - Opening Weekend

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
You "situation" experts can clue me in...

But if on 2nd with 1 out & ball hit to outfield, he should have been halfway (not tagging) too. If ball is caught still in scoring position & you aren't making 3rd out at 3rd if throw out tagging. If ball is dropped...like it was, you score standing. I assume he ignored Ramsey on both issues.
Ball so deep I think you tag and get yourself to third base…you score on pass ball/wild pitch even an infield single etc. I believe the percentages of scoring from third with two outs are higher than if at second. Situationally that game was tied no matter what happened.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Ball so deep I think you tag and get yourself to third base…you score on pass ball/wild pitch even an infield single etc. I believe the percentages of scoring from third with two outs are higher than if at second. Situationally that game was tied no matter what happened.
Makes sense... but you better be SURE you're going to be safe at 3rd on tag up.

slugboy

Staff member
Yeah but it’s on ACCN/ACCNX so you have to log into a service provider with which you have those channels. And apparently the Verizon account I use doesn’t have it anymore.
TL;DR: Good luck!

I’m AT&T. ACCNX is a cooperative effort between your ISP and ESPN. Unfortunately, that means that they both have to do some work so that you can log in successfully. In the case of AT&T and ESPN, they each seem to have met each other somewhat less than halfway, which means it occasionally works. Also, it means that AT&T says ESPN supports it, and ESPN support is nearly impossible to find unless you’re an ESPN+ subscriber.

Verizon may have it, but just have implemented it so badly that you can’t log in.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Exactly. And Borden was safe to win. Playing with house money as the game was tied with only one out.

But the philosophical question is whether the run was worth the breakdown in discipline. (That assumes Ramsey had the stop sign up as Wiley said he did.)

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
You "situation" experts can clue me in...

But if on 2nd with 1 out & ball hit to outfield, he should have been halfway (not tagging) too. If ball is caught still in scoring position & you aren't making 3rd out at 3rd if throw out tagging. If ball is dropped...like it was, you score standing. I assume he ignored Ramsey on both issues.
Yeah as Fitted said, a ball hit like that it’s a no brainer to tag. Because unless Ichiro is playing center nobody is throwing someone out at 3rd from way back there.

Generally at 2nd you’re tagging on anything deep to center or right, because if they catch it they aren’t going to throw you out at 3rd, and if they miss it you’re probably scoring anyway. You’re halfway on anything hit shallow to all fields and just about everything to left unless it’s driving them to the track, and tagging on pretty everything to medium or deep CF and RF.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I loved *most* of the pitching I saw yesterday. BUT two things I hate:
  1. guys who throw balls (not strikes) out of the bullpen; and
  2. pulling a guy who had thrown beautifully and gotten two very softly hit outs and something like 9 pitches (8 of which were strikes).
Everything else was just fine with me.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I loved *most* of the pitching I saw yesterday. BUT two things I hate:
  1. guys who throw balls (not strikes) out of the bullpen; and
  2. pulling a guy who had thrown beautifully and gotten two very softly hit outs and something like 9 pitches (8 of which were strikes).
Everything else was just fine with me.
yeah i couldnt figure out why they pulled Brown in the 9th. he was the only one that looked competent that inning

Technicaljacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Am I the only one who cringes when Hall comes up to bat with runners in scoring position? Three times with the bases loaded and no hits today and feel like this has been the case for about three years now. I guess he's in there for his defense but why not bat him lower in the lineup.
Nope, Did 5 get a hit in the 1st game or are stats getting worked out after the game ? Announcers always providing sufficient cover …

Technicaljacket

Georgia Tech Fan
2474061D-D93F-465B-9A96-A1B0FE113D25.png

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Requesting a decent synopsis/evaluation of today's game. I've scanned the box.

Noticed we gave up fewer hits than walks. Is that a half full type comment?

Seriously... I assume (based on score) we dominated.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer

So 0-8. Rest of team hitting .426. Yeah sample size is ****, but that was the same argument I got roasted with when I questioned his persistent playing time 20 games into the season a few years ago. And the argument was that the frosh (DeLeo, Jenkins, etc) didn’t deserve PT yet…

When i get some time I’ll try to compile stats again. But he’s basically been our worst hitter for 3 years now yet he is still an everyday starter in the engine room for Papa Hall.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
So 0-8. Rest of team hitting .426. Yeah sample size is ****, but that was the same argument I got roasted with when I questioned his persistent playing time 20 games into the season a few years ago. And the argument was that the frosh (DeLeo, Jenkins, etc) didn’t deserve PT yet…

When i get some time I’ll try to compile stats again. But he’s basically been our worst hitter for 3 years now yet he is still an everyday starter in the engine room for Papa Hall.
Wow. ...let it go ...or reset your file. Nobody disagrees with you "these days"... as far as I can tell.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Requesting a decent synopsis/evaluation of today's game. I've scanned the box.

Noticed we gave up fewer hits than walks. Is that a half full type comment?

Seriously... I assume (based on score) we dominated.
I also was unable to catch the game.

I'm trying to figure out the pitching. Maxwell pitched 3 good innings, but it took him 84 pitches. How did he do today?

Squints

Helluva Engineer

I'd be happy to roast you again if you'd like. We're doing this **** again after two games which is hysterical. The sample size isn't **** it's non-existent at this point.

Like I said last year if his last name wasn't Hall you wouldn't give a ****. Maybe in a month's time he'll be hitting under .200 and the conversation would make sense. But the way some of y'all are so eager to crow about nepotism before we're through the first weekend of season is ****ing weird.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Simpson is such a spark plug. Great Sac Bunt in the 9th. Love his base running.

The bunt was executed well but that's a horrendous strategic decision. You willingly give up one of only three outs you have remaining and take the bat out of your best hitter's hands when he would have come up in a RISP situation where that runner is the tying run. We keep making calls that like and it's going to cost us in close games at some point.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Maxwell was as expected. Wild but effective (effectively wild?), but after today I’m definitely still not sold on him starting. Just seems like his stuff and track record plays much better out of the pen, but we’ll see. Siegal dominated his innings, kept them off balance and pounded the zone with fastballs and off speed. Hill was not great. He was around the zone but was fooling nobody. I had to leave after his inning but caught a few ABs here and there on the stream.

The hitters looked a lot more comfortable the plate today. Even outs had much better swings behind them. Not going to hit 5 homers everyday, but just about everything put in play was hit hard which is about all you can ask for. Not even so much about the run and hit totals, but just the overall approaches at the plate and swinging to do damage is what I will expect out of this lineup all year. There’s going to be games where everything finds a glove, today was not one of those days. Even against a really good staff we would’ve put up some numbers if we hit like we did today.

Defense was solid. Not really any misplays that I saw, but nothing spectacular either.

Win 2 games every weekend and we’ll sit pretty come June. Hoping for a sweep though. Been pretty decent crowds for both games so far, especially considering it’s early and the opponent. Probably the best opening weekend crowds in quite a while. Would really like to be 8-1 going into that UGA series and have a sold out Rusty C rocking as we take out the dawgs. I’ve noticed from the highlights I’ve seen that a lot of places are packing their stadiums out, or at least getting close to it. Mercer sold out their 2,000 seats on Friday. I want us to become intriguing enough again where sell outs aren’t really newsworthy and are just kind of expected.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
The bunt was executed well but that's a horrendous strategic decision. You willingly give up one of only three outs you have remaining and take the bat out of your best hitter's hands when he would have come up in a RISP situation where that runner is the tying run. We keep making calls that like and it's going to cost us in close games at some point.
I disagree, even with his speed you risk a double play there with a hard Grounder. It’s almost impossible for them to turn 2 with his speed from a bunt though. So even if they tried it would’ve likely been 1st and 3rd 1 out, and then he would’ve been able to steal 2nd. They would’ve let him steal 2nd cause you don’t risk a bad throw and letting runner from 3rd walk home. Parada was likely to bat with 2 on 1 out regardless.