Wright State - Opening Weekend

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I certainly don’t claim the ability to construct the best batting order, but if the fear is that Simpson stealing likely takes the bat out of Parada’s hands, we either stop the steal (which negates an important weapon), change the order, or accept Kevin getting intentionally walked at times.

Maybe this is a good problem to have!
Unless of course Simpson steals 2 bases before they can walk Kevin. ;)

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
(1) Glad we won again to start out 3-0. Wins ALWAYS beats losses.
(2) Did not get to watch much of this but caught the end and Simpson's triple. That dude is a significant boos to our offense if he can get on base often enough.
(3) I was VERY happy they gave Dawson Brown a chance to close this game. Thought he was GREAT and hope they continue with him there.
(4) Was also very pleased with Manelly's pitching.
(5) I missed seeing Aeden's pitching, but when you give up 3 run dingers it inflates the stat line and the ERA, but our stadium is famous for that. Coors Field East?

Overall, I guess I was "sorta" pleased with the pitching. But it is early in the season still. And we still have other pitchers I am curious to watch. Thrilled we have a Friday starter in Huff though.

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
Weekend MVPs for me we're Compton, Jenkins, Mannelly and Simpson (whom Fred pointed out in chat the stadium was named after.) 😂. Huff was very impressive to me as well.

We got a look at a ton of pitchers, too. That is great early in the season.

I imagine we see Grissom start one of the midweek games and maybe Smith the other, or a freshman we haven't seen.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Weekend MVPs for me we're Compton, Jenkins, Mannelly and Simpson (whom Fred pointed out in chat the stadium was named after.) 😂. Huff was very impressive to me as well.

I imagine we see Grissom start one of the midweek games and maybe Smith the other, or a freshman we haven't seen.
Clarification... Nuke gets credit for the Chandler Stadium comment.

THWG

Helluva Engineer

I was thinking that we might see Roedig in the midweek. He didn't pitch at all this weekend

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
ACC Coastal update...5 teams swept their opening series as the division went 20-3 this weekend. (Would have been 18-1 without Pitt's contribution.) Atlantic is 14-4 with 2 games in progress as I type. Only real surprise is Louisville starting 1-2.

Elsewhere, nothing really remarkable. Some pretty nice OOC matchups have been interesting. Mississippi State came in ranked #4. but lost 2 of 3 at home to Long Beach State. Vandy dropped 2 of 3 at home to Oklahoma State. And Florida dropped 2 of 3 at home against Liberty !!!. UGa despatched Albany in a sweep and Tennessee made Ga. Southern (we play them Tuesday) look silly in a sweep.

If anyone cares, Kennesaw State starts 3-1 with a series win over Morehead State while Mercer sweeps Eastern Kentucky, 3-0, and Georgia State goes 4-0 vs IU-PU-Fort Wayne.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks. Inspired one liner.

He was only pivotal in two wins. He helped cause the balk today too.

Best heckle of the day wasn't mine. It was a GT student's next to me.

The ump was very erratic in calling the zone today for both teams. We were sitting behind home plate at a slight angle. When he'd miss a call it was "Too Much Plate!?"

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Well. Now we become huge Wright St fans. They play Oklahoma St next weekend who'll likely be a top 5 team by then... Ok St just took 2 of 3 from Vandy.

Best case for Ga Tech... Wright St wins their conference & comfortably gets into a regional as a #3 seed.

GT Bravo

Jolly Good Fellow
Well. Now we become huge Wright St fans. They play Oklahoma St next weekend who'll likely be a top 5 team by then... Ok St just took 2 of 3 from Vandy.

Best case for Ga Tech... Wright St wins their conference & comfortably gets into a regional as a #3 seed.
With their tough out of conference schedule, I can see Wright running through their conference again.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We should get a bit of a measure tomorrow as to how good the Jackets are. Ga Southern was swept by Tennessee this weekend 9-0, 10-3, 14-0. It was a very ugly weekend. Let's hope we give the more of the same.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
With their tough out of conference schedule, I can see Wright running through their conference again.

They have a great plan for pumping up their RPI and post season; play tough teams OOC which helps REPI win or lose as well as get mentally ready for post season. And then dominate in total number of wins.

They are a good team and played better as the weekend got warmer. It has to be tough to get ready for the season and not practice outside as much as other teams. I'm just as glad we got them opening weekend. Their fans were really nice (most college baseball fans are nice unlike some other sports).

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Another wrinkle in Wright State's chances to win their conference that I just read on D1Baseball: UIC, which is their biggest competition to win the conference, was ruled ineligible for the conference championship this year because they're leaving the Horizon and joining the Missouri Valley Conference in 2023.

By the way, I hate that conferences punish student athletes this way by taking away their opportunity to win a conference championship and participate in the NCAA's. But bureaucrats will always put their own interests ahead of others, including student athletes. I assume we can still call college baseball players student athletes at this point. Football and basketball players from the major conferences, perhaps not so much.

Last edited: