WR corps next year

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Isn't he the same size as juston thomas?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Fairly close, for sure. It seemed to me that every time TaQuon threw the ball, he threw it long. I attributed that to not being able to see any underneath passes. I may be wrong...just a guess based on his head is barely above the center’s rear end at the snap. Hard to see around those big fellas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
Fairly close, for sure. It seemed to me that every time TaQuon threw the ball, he threw it long. I attributed that to not being able to see any underneath passes. I may be wrong...just a guess based on his head is barely above the center’s rear end at the snap. Hard to see around those big fellas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It seemed more to me like TaQuon looked at one guy the whole time: Ricky. That's not a bad target by any means, but he seemed to ONLY throw it to him at times.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It seemed more to me like TaQuon looked at one guy the whole time: Ricky. That's not a bad target by any means, but he seemed to ONLY throw it to him at times.
Dont tell the other team but as in all past years we will target the r wr about 70 % of time. Poor Atl. He has tobe down.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
Dont tell the other team but as in all past years we will target the r wr about 70 % of time. Poor Atl. He has tobe down.
Well the major difference between last year and most years is that last year was only Ricky. Most other years it's the r wr and the a-backs.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Ricky is a big loss. I am holding out hope for Sanders or for camps ball skills to improve. He seems to be learning and does everything else well.

And in my perfect world, we would feature TQM as a KOR/PR and AB. I think he is our best open field runner, but he has to have a lot if things go right to complete a pass.

Rewatched UNC last night and it's odd that we were up three scores but kept him in. wish CPJ was as comfortable personnel risk as he is with in game calls.

Rewatched UGA and wow they beat up TQM and we looked tiny on O. I see why CPJ wants big ABs.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I too hope we have an improved passing game but right now it is not very promising unless things change drastically.
First we have to have better passing which is a problem with first a QB bback fake and then set-up.Limited time to pass.Having a short QB limits throws over middle.
Next we need better blocking but with this OFF we have 185 lb backs sometime blocking 230 lb LBs or 260 lb DEs ,not counting the OLs missing blocks.
We lose our best WR and the other has had ONE TD catch period and the new WR has very few receptions.Its great they can block but we are talking passing game here..
Its the truth, we saw the stats from last yr.Something needs to change.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Is this the least productive group we have ever had at WR position for returning letterman?
I believe there is one total TD combined returning between all of our WRs and I think Camp had one catch all of last year against UVA?

This group will be key to turning it around next year and unfortunately I don’t get too many warm fuzzies looking at what has to be the least productive group of returning WRs in the country. I know Adonicas is supposed to be good, but I will believe it when I see it

I know it sounds pessimistic, but It just feels like GT is on the Brink of being a dumpster fire program in all three sports I care about and it sucks right now with both UGA and Clempson being top 5 programs with no signs of slowing down in their football dominance over us

TDs are great but I don’t care how many our WR get. The important thing is making plays to extend drives that lead to TDs. Be that receiving or blocking or ideally both.

Brad has and can make plays for us. But we need a couple more to really step up for us.

Also don’t forget how our ABs factor in our passing game. We should have plenty of targets available out there.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
TDs are great but I don’t care how many our WR get. The important thing is making plays to extend drives that lead to TDs. Be that receiving or blocking or ideally both.

Brad has and can make plays for us. But we need a couple more to really step up for us.

Also don’t forget how our ABs factor in our passing game. We should have plenty of targets available out there.

I disagree somewhat on not needing passing TDs.I see your point but the fact is with EVERY Off ,and especially ours, needs to stretch the field.The closer to goal you get the less room there is to go deep and stretch the DBs to make room to run.

I like to think through all this and be optimistic. I took a look at the last for years and here is what stands out

2014 our toughest games were Florida St #4 and Miami #7. Georgia was unranked and Clemson finished 19
2015 We played ND #8 Clemson #2 and Florida St #4
2016 Clemson #1 Miami and Va Tech were #14
2017 Clemson finished #4, Georgia finished #2 and Miami was 11
2015 and 2017 were very difficult schedules although in 2015 our first two games helped with the stats.

2014 passing 52% completion 1,882 yards. We also played 14 games
2015 passing 42% completion 1,462 yards
2016 passing 51% completion 1,679 yards
2017 passing 36%completion 927 yards 11 games played

2014 rushing 6.1 ypc 4,789 yards
2015 rushing 5.3 ypc 3,074 yards
2016 rushing 5.5 ypc 3,355 yards
2017 rushing 5.4 ypc 3,381 yards

B-Back Stats
2014 5.4 ypc 1,775 yards 14 games
2015 5.7 ypc 1031 yards Marcus Marshal 7.6 ypc
2016 5.6 ypc 1,395 MM 6.5 ypc Mills 5.1 ypc
2017 5.4 ypc 1,228 yards

So what does this all mean?
1. Our schedule last year was very hard.
2. We really sucked in passing in 2017
3. Even when we do throw we are about 50% completions, but when we throw we mean it.
4. Our biggest loss for 2017 was not Mills, it was Marcus Marshall.
5. 2015 was a pretty tough schedule as well.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I disagree somewhat on not needing passing TDs.I see your point but the fact is with EVERY Off ,and especially ours, needs to stretch the field.The closer to goal you get the less room there is to go deep and stretch the DBs to make room to run.

I think you are picking a nit. I’m not saying big plays passing or passing TDs have no benefit. I’m just saying in the larger scheme of things it’s not vital so long as the passing is efficient enough to extend drives.

As for red zone plays. That was a trouble for us in 17. But unusual for us. We are typically fine in the red zone.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I like to think through all this and be optimistic. I took a look at the last for years and here is what stands out

2014 our toughest games were Florida St #4 and Miami #7. Georgia was unranked and Clemson finished 19
2015 We played ND #8 Clemson #2 and Florida St #4
2016 Clemson #1 Miami and Va Tech were #14
2017 Clemson finished #4, Georgia finished #2 and Miami was 11
2015 and 2017 were very difficult schedules although in 2015 our first two games helped with the stats.

2014 passing 52% completion 1,882 yards. We also played 14 games
2015 passing 42% completion 1,462 yards
2016 passing 51% completion 1,679 yards
2017 passing 36%completion 927 yards 11 games played

2014 rushing 6.1 ypc 4,789 yards
2015 rushing 5.3 ypc 3,074 yards
2016 rushing 5.5 ypc 3,355 yards
2017 rushing 5.4 ypc 3,381 yards

B-Back Stats
2014 5.4 ypc 1,775 yards 14 games
2015 5.7 ypc 1031 yards Marcus Marshal 7.6 ypc
2016 5.6 ypc 1,395 MM 6.5 ypc Mills 5.1 ypc
2017 5.4 ypc 1,228 yards

So what does this all mean?
1. Our schedule last year was very hard.
2. We really sucked in passing in 2017
3. Even when we do throw we are about 50% completions, but when we throw we mean it.
4. Our biggest loss for 2017 was not Mills, it was Marcus Marshall.
5. 2015 was a pretty tough schedule as well.
It is nice to be a Marshall fan but the reality is lost in that statement. Our biggest loss wasn't our second string BBack but a three year starter at QB that was replaced by a first year starter. Huge difference in the passing game between those two. As far as Marshall is concerned, it wasn't the loss of Marshall as much as the loss of both Mills and Marshall. Remember this thread is about passing and Mills was our best pass blocking BBack.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I've said this before, but here goes:

First, we always have this conversation when the designated WR graduates. What it comes down to is that we most always throw the ball - as was pointed out above - to one WR. Usually this has little to do with the talent on the other side; it's just that we have one WR who's a bit better or more experienced and he gets the throws. Then he graduates and we get in a tizzy about the other guy coming up. Usually the reason he hasn't shown much is that he hasn't been thrown the ball much. This, shockingly, leads to poor catching stats. My prime example here is Waller. Everybody said he had hands of stone and, when Smelter went down, there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth. The we started throwing to him and - surprise, surprise, surprise - it turned out he was pretty good at catching. I think this will be the case next year with Brad. He'll probably be our designated WR this year and I suspect he'll do quite well. He's faster then Ricky was and has good hands; there's a reason he was returning punts.

Second, I don't think TM's height was much of a factor and I also think our pass blocking was better last year. So why the poor results? It wasn't that TM doesn't have the arm; he does. It's that this was his first year starting and he went up against some right decent Ds, especially in the later part of the season. Inexperience makes everything harder, especially against good Ds. His terrific running ability also betrayed him at times; he often tried to run out of trouble instead of throwing the ball away. I don't blame him, but I suspect he'll get a good long talking to about that - and setting up, even if you are going to get clobbered - this spring. If he improves - I think he could be extremely successful with a 45% completion rate; Nesbitt was - then we'll do fine. If not then, we'll see what the next horse up does.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Our success tends to be tightly linked to our receiving corps. Just go take a look at our best seasons and you’ll see NFL talent at WR. When it isn’t there we usually don’t have much of a passing threat and tend struggle.

A lot think we should throw more. I think we throw enough...we just need to complete passes. That means we need playmakers