WR corps next year

GTfan1977

Banned
Is this the least productive group we have ever had at WR position for returning letterman?
I believe there is one total TD combined returning between all of our WRs and I think Camp had one catch all of last year against UVA?

This group will be key to turning it around next year and unfortunately I don’t get too many warm fuzzies looking at what has to be the least productive group of returning WRs in the country. I know Adonicas is supposed to be good, but I will believe it when I see it

I know it sounds pessimistic, but It just feels like GT is on the Brink of being a dumpster fire program in all three sports I care about and it sucks right now with both UGA and Clempson being top 5 programs with no signs of slowing down in their football dominance over us

Last edited:

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
There was a year we returned 0 receiving yards I think. Brad Stewart is what he is, love or hate him. Jalen Camp has huge upside and shown a few great flashes, but he came in as a project so hopefully he finally gets over the hump. He's also a huge guy. Adonicas Sanders was getting really great reviews this year as a redshirt from Coach and his teammates, I wouldn't be surprised if he's starting this year. If we have three guys, two with experience, then I wouldn't be too worried.

Deleted member 2897

Is this the least productive group we have ever had at WR position for returning letterman?
I believe there is one total TD combined returning between all of our WRs and I think Camp had one catch all of last year against UVA?

This group will be key to turning it around next year and unfortunately I don’t get too many warm fuzzies looking at what has to be the least productive group of returning WRs in the country. I know Adonicas is supposed to be good, but I will believe it when I see it

I know it sounds pessimistic, but It just feels like GT is on the Brink of being a dumpster fire program in all three sports I care about and it sucks right now with both UGA and Clempson being top 5 programs with no signs of slowing down in their football dominance over us

How about fan this way: due to the lack of returning production at the WR, the position group is going to be an exciting wide open competition this year for folks like Jalen Camp, Stephen Dolphus, Jair Hawkins-Anderson, and Adonicas Sanders to break into...and even our incoming Freshmen.

We were 2 injured/inconsistent kickers away from being 8-3. I don't call that being on the verge of a dumpster fire. We had double digit leads against every team we played except Clemson and Georgia - both of whom went to the CFP. We just need to close games out.

GTBillyJosh

Jolly Good Fellow
It hurts to lose a guy like Ricky Jeune. He was definitely a big threat for us. Competition should be open this spring, but between Brad Stewart, Jalen Camp, Adonicas Sanders and one of the Freshman (my bet is on Malachi Carter), I think we should be okay. Don't forget a big part of our passing game is AB's too. So expect to see Qua Searcy and Clinton Lynch as two of our leading receivers.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Due to our offensive scheme, I feel like the main objective of our receivers is downfield blocking and luring the DBs and safeties away from the play. These are attributes that are extremely important that won’t show up in a stat sheet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacket Forever

Jolly Good Fellow
To be sure, lack of experience among the WR corps is a concern. What concerns me most about our passing game is actually getting the ball to the receivers we have. Last year we weren’t very good. We completed on 38% of our passing attempts. Not very good. Don’t get me wrong. I think TaQuon’s is great as a runner. He fast and he makes tacklers miss. At least he did in the season’s first half. As a passer, I am less confident in his ability to complete passes at a rate that makes us a real threat through the air. I was ( and still am) hoping that Lucas gets an opportunity in Spring Ball and later, in the Fall, to show off his arm which is better than Quon’s.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
How about fan this way: due to the lack of returning production at the WR, the position group is going to be an exciting wide open competition this year for folks like Jalen Camp, Stephen Dolphus, Jair Hawkins-Anderson, and Adonicas Sanders to break into...and even our incoming Freshmen.

We were 2 injured/inconsistent kickers away from being 8-3. I don't call that being on the verge of a dumpster fire. We had double digit leads against every team we played except Clemson and Georgia - both of whom went to the CFP. We just need to close games out.
I agree, and I REALLY liked Jeune but I think the four you listed have a higher ceiling.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
A credible passing game has three components: (1) you must have a coach who will call the play, (2) you must have a passer who can deliver the ball to the right place and (3) you must have receivers who can get open, run the routes and catch the ball. You can have world class WRs with no catches if (1) and (2) are deficient...

GTBillyJosh

Jolly Good Fellow
Did you watch last season?

Maybe I should have said "usually". Clinton Lynch was our leading receiver 2 years ago with almost 500 yards and 6 touchdowns. No one else had more than one receiving touchdown.

You're right, last year didn't get much help from AB's in the receiving department. I'd bet that changes this year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Welcome aboard!
Thanks for including numbers in your post.

Agree the stats look bad but with gt being a right handed passing team the off side guy doesnt get much action.

I would prefer an ocassional sub of a very tall receiver on the back side as i think he could help hold the safety in the middle.

In 17 for some reason coach stuck w starters the whole way. If we get some playmakers at wr and a tq becomes a passer instead of a thrower, the offense will hum.
The passing issue of a short qb is still a question. I am 6 2 and have meet the taller ol guys (chamberlin, stick, shamire) and think i could see over their pads while bent over blocking. Their helmets would block my view but i could see some. Being 4-5" shorter would look like a wall of shoulder pads and helmets.

In spring game ( not the no pressure practice passes) the the qb wr performance will be fantastic to watch . We may drive up just to watch that.

Be optimistic that we beat Duke!

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I think this is much more about QB and line play than WR. At a minimum, we have ABs who can get open in the passing game. WR almost always get single man coverage, so it's really easy to just target WR1 all the time given equal coverage. Certainly Bay Bay and Smelter were special, and to some extent Ricky as well. That's always better, but Waller stepping up after Smelter's injury is a good example of why a WR2 should not be underestimated when getting promoted.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
A credible passing game has three components: (1) you must have a coach who will call the play, (2) you must have a passer who can deliver the ball to the right place and (3) you must have receivers who can get open, run the routes and catch the ball. You can have world class WRs with no catches if (1) and (2) are deficient...

Coach called plenty of passing plays last season, and i’m sure would have called more if they were working

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
To be sure, lack of experience among the WR corps is a concern. What concerns me most about our passing game is actually getting the ball to the receivers we have. Last year we weren’t very good. We completed on 38% of our passing attempts. Not very good. Don’t get me wrong. I think TaQuon’s is great as a runner. He fast and he makes tacklers miss. At least he did in the season’s first half. As a passer, I am less confident in his ability to complete passes at a rate that makes us a real threat through the air. I was ( and still am) hoping that Lucas gets an opportunity in Spring Ball and later, in the Fall, to show off his arm which is better than Quon’s.

So far, it has not been a "lack of experience" so much as a lack of talent. I apologize for being so blunt but when receivers cannot beat man to man coverage it is telling.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
The receivers? Really?? The problem this year was with the quarterback, hands down. Marshall prefers to keep when he should pitch, or scramble when he should stand in the pocket and make a good throw to his WRs. We might as well have lined-up OL guys out wide this year. Unless our QB passing drastically improves, the WR corps will be the most irrelevant group on the field for the second year in a row (and yet still probably get drafted by the NFL btw)