would you take richt over cpj?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
slow week question that relates to the ajc 'fire richt' articles.

if money was not an issue. would you trade cpj to uga for coach richt?

richt becomes our coach and cpj becomes uga coach! staffs stay put.

me? id stick with cpj!

I wouldn't trade for him but I'd be interested to see what Richt, in his prime, could have done here.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
No way. (That said, I don't dislike Richt, and for mere PR purposes it wouldn't bother me a bit if CPJ appeared as friendly as does Richt.)

Living in Tallahassee during FSU's glory decade of the '90s (as well as during the post-Richt collapse, before Fisher came on board), I thought Richt was a very good offensive coordinator, not that he didn't have massive talent at FSU, of course. However, as do so many coaches who transition from OC to HC, and as the years go by, Richt got more conservative, more "vanilla" in his offense. With ample numbers of superior athlete/football players who are are coachable, and decent position coaches on staff, a HC can rack up plenty of wins against athletically inferior opponents; win 40 to 50% of the games against similarly loaded opponents, and said HC will definitely stick around for years. Richt never really showed a great capacity for out-scheming an opponent, particularly the past few years, when facing opponents with similar numbers of great athletes, and particularly when those opponents had solid coaching. It's finally catching up with Richt in a big way, particularly this year.

Whiskey already forgot about last week. I would take Richt in a heart beat over the grumpy, can't take responsibility, cursing and yelling at players and looking like a tool on the sidelines, will not adjust no matter what Paul Johnson. If you like where the program is then I guess you're happy being a loser. Richt isn't perfect, but he is a much better man than Paul Johnson is. Go hear Mark Richt speak one time and it might change your mind. I for one hope ugag does fire Richt. We might have a chance to win more that 2 times in 10 years. There is a reason only two teams in all of div 1 football run the wing t.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Whiskey already forgot about last week. I would take Richt in a heart beat over the grumpy, can't take responsibility, cursing and yelling at players and looking like a tool on the sidelines, will not adjust no matter what Paul Johnson. If you like where the program is then I guess you're happy being a loser. Richt isn't perfect, but he is a much better man than Paul Johnson is. Go hear Mark Richt speak one time and it might change your mind. I for one hope ugag does fire Richt. We might have a chance to win more that 2 times in 10 years. There is a reason only two teams in all of div 1 football run the wing t.
SMH

You have your opinion and I have mine. Shake ur head all you want. I DON'T CARE. I don't like Paul Johnson, I don't like how he acts on the sidelines. I don't like how he talks down to you if you don't agree with him. I didn't like the hire when he was hired and I will be happy when he leaves.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
No.

I don't know if I'd take CPJ over anyone but I wouldn't take Richt over him. I think he's a good coach but I don't think Richt, like the overwhelming majority of coaches, would be able to handle the academic and recruiting challenges of a school like Georgia Tech. He's been in a factory environment his entire coaching career minus a single season.

No.

I don't know if I'd take CPJ over anyone but I wouldn't take Richt over him. I think he's a good coach but I don't think Richt, like the overwhelming majority of coaches, would be able to handle the academic and recruiting challenges of a school like Georgia Tech. He's been in a factory environment his entire coaching career minus a single season.
How well has Paul handled it at Tech? Tech has had academic casualties, suspensions, players dismissed or just quit like ugag has. I'd bet just like 99% of the other college head coaches have. Tech's DL is a perfect example of that right now.

You have your opinion and I have mine. Shake ur head all you want. I DON'T CARE. I don't like Paul Johnson, I don't like how he acts on the sidelines. I don't like how he talks down to you if you don't agree with him. I didn't like the hire when he was hired and I will be happy when he leaves.
How is his behavior on the sidelines any different from the vast majority of other college football (and also basketball) coaches. If he treats his players so badly, why, pray tell, do his players, past and present, love him so much?

midga fan

Georgia Tech Fan
On the flip side. Think how scary good uga would be if they had cpj and same level of recruiting.
Now that would be scary. PJ with that kind of talent. Hmmmm. You saw what he did with upper level talent at ga southern at that level. I'm surprised Nebraska didn't come after him. Although with the way it is going there they may yet. I hope not!

How is his behavior on the sidelines any different from the vast majority of other college football (and also basketball) coaches. If he treats his players so badly, why, pray tell, do his players, past and present, love him so much?
I wouldn't want any coach that acts like an ahole on the sidelines. He ask his players to be composed, but he can't do it himself? That is a hypocrite. Do as I say not as I do.

Now that would be scary. PJ with that kind of talent. Hmmmm. You saw what he did with upper level talent at ga southern at that level. I'm surprised Nebraska didn't come after him. Although with the way it is going there they may yet. I hope not!
Then why didn't they pursue him? They had the chance.

I wouldn't want any coach that acts like an ahole on the sidelines. He ask his players to be composed, but he can't do it himself? That is a hypocrite. Do as I say not as I do.
You see what you want to see, I guess. I see him as an empassioned coach who wants to win, cares about his players, and is not afraid to call them out when they screw up, which, unfortunately, they have done a lot this year. Like I said before, why do his players love him so much if he is such an "ahole"? If it bothered them, there would be total disunity every year, but that has been far from the case, win or lose. They know he cares for them, and that he wants them to perform at their best.

Status
Not open for further replies.