Would you rather…

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
This season, in particular, I would prefer the NIT. This run is special and momentum building for Pastner and crew. Next year, the bar is raised and I want to get into the dance and hopefully see us get to .500 in conference.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll take the NIT in this situation. Hopefully the big dance will be the goal in the future, and moving beyond one game. The experience and exposure these guys are getting in the 4/5 games is invaluable. And a possible NIT championship should help with recruiting also.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'd choose the Big Dance almost every year, but I'm happy with the NIT run this year. More room for progress.

savjacket9

Georgia Tech Fan
Big Dance and lose because it meant that we had a better season overall. We would have probably needed 20 wins to get into the tourney, which we have just now gotten 3 games into the NIT

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The Big Dance is the goal, so NCAA is preferable because it also assumes a better overall season/team.
At the beginning of this year I was going to be happy if we just made the NIT regardless if we won a game or not.
To have been of NCAA Tourney conversation at the end of February was icing on the proverbial cake. (If we'd made the Big Dance that would have been the tasty Butter Cream Icing ;) )

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Interesting responses.

Directly answering your question: For this team, this year. getting to the NIT semis is better than a first round NCAA loss.

This program needs publicity. We've been irrelevant for too long. Being just another one of 68 teams in the NCAA's would go largely unnoticed, and being one of 36 teams who are gone by the end of the first Friday would give little to no visibility.

Even if we lose the first game in NY, we have had 4 more nationally televised games on ESPN and we will get publicity in the NY media by making it to MSG.

The NIT is far better for this program this year than losing in the first round of the NCAAs.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Interesting responses.

Directly answering your question: For this team, this year. getting to the NIT semis is better than a first round NCAA loss.

This program needs publicity. We've been irrelevant for too long. Being just another one of 68 teams in the NCAA's would go largely unnoticed, and being one of 36 teams who are gone by the end of the first Friday would give little to no visibility.

Even if we lose the first game in NY, we have had 4 more nationally televised games on ESPN and we will get publicity in the NY media by making it to MSG.

The NIT is far better for this program this year than losing in the first round of the NCAAs.

I'm all for all kinds of practice time for JMo, JOk and Sly right now.. so I would agree

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Pastner answers: First-round NCAA loss or NIT semifinals?
Asked Friday if making the NIT semifinals was ultimately better for the team than losing in the first round of the NCAA Tournament – a likely scenario had the Jackets made the 68-team field, Pastner didn’t hesitate.

“No question,” he said. “We want to be in the NCAA Tournament, but for what we’ve gotten out of this – home fans, the wins that we’ve had to get to 20 wins, we’re most wins in the history of Georgia Tech at home with 17, the exposure that we’re getting out of it, 80 made field goals/60 assists, all these things.”