Would you rather…

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
With how bad GT Basketball has been over the last decade, I'll take the NIT 'ship (not counting chickens). Though, you can't win a NCAA title without making it to the dance, so my feelings will probably change very quickly in the future.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Just curious what others think of this. Would you rather win the NIT championship or make the NCAA tournament and lose in the first round?

As for me I'll take the NIT championship. Extra games and end the year feeling really good about our future. What say you?
I'll take the NCAA Tournament;) It will be great however if GT wins the NIT:cool:

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I was thinking of this same thing last night. For me personally, walking around the office and talking to friends, NCAA tourney every time. For the team especially given what we have coming back next year(Lammers, TJ, Okogie, and Moore), NIT is way more important. They can win the NIT and still be told they have a lot to work on while getting a ton of extra practice. If this was a team of seniors (**cough** last year**cough**) the NIT is meaningless. Imagine pulling a Wake losing in the first 4 and basically not making any tournament after a good season. I think we're in a better spot than they are.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Definitely the NCAAT. I love watching the fight in these guys in the NIT but seeing this in the NCAAT even if it resulted in a 1st round loss would be more enjoyable.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Said it in the Ole Miss thread, but you gotta wonder how we would have done in the Big Dance. This is the best stretch that the Big Four (Lammers, Q, Tadric, Okogie) have all played together this year. Our defense has been outstanding.

Of course, keep in mind 2 of the NIT games were at home so that was a big advantage we would not have had in the Tourney.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Said it in the Ole Miss thread, but you gotta wonder how we would have done in the Big Dance. This is the best stretch that the Big Four (Lammers, Q, Tadric, Okogie) have all played together this year. Our defense has been outstanding.

Of course, keep in mind 2 of the NIT games were at home so that was a big advantage we would not have had in the Tourney.
Haha stop, we have a Big 3

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
This particular team in this particular year, NIT. For next year's team (and virtually all years), I would prefer the NCAA appearance.
It depends where the team is coming from. For this GT team - which no one expected to win more than 12-13 games (many posted single figures), NIT is great - and probably better for them. For teams with a lot of experience/talent (i.e. Indiana) it is NCAA or bust as they showed. NIT is great for teams on the rise, young teams, over achievers, and mid-majors. Key for Power 5 teams in NIT is the kids need to care - and clearly this Tech team does.

That said - next season we will likely have a more talented team - but that does not always translate into more wins in near term - schedule will be tougher, the freshman usually can't play defense like these kids do, we will likely be less consistent at point guard, etc. Impossible goal this year was 'any postseason', next year an 'attainable' goal is NCAA (but we need to see what the newcomers can do before declaring no NCAA a bust next season).
This is going to take at least 2-3 more years to get to a consistent high level.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Tough call. Generally I'd say NCAA, but quite frankly it's better for your program from a developmental standpoint to play five games than lose one.

Ask Wake right now...I'd definitely rather win the NIT than lose in one of those stupid play in games. They either need to do away with those things altogether or always make it where the 16 seeds are the play in games. To me they should drop them, but if they keep them then it seems to me that they should first go to regular season champs who lost their conference tourney in the smaller conferences.

bos

Helluva Engineer
I'll take winning 3 NIT games over a first round loss in the NCAA tourney, but I agree that this year is different than any other. We really need the extra exposure and experience. The hype gained from this year was much needed for the program.

Also it's fun to be in late March and still watch our guys play.

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow
Tough call. Generally I'd say NCAA, but quite frankly it's better for your program from a developmental standpoint to play five games than lose one.

Honestly, I think the 5 games are a bigger factor than people realize. The extra work against quality opposition really speeds development. Also, you win you get to enter off-season on a 5 game win streak. Really good to help motivate a fan base that is just starting to come around.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
The tourney bid would have been a bigger initial gratification and gotten us noticed more for the job CJP has done, but honestly I like this NIT better. We've played 3 legit teams and broken free of the ACC grind to gel as a team and feel like we're capable of accomplishing more next year.

I know we lose 3 starters, but we're seeing the young guys develop also, as players and leaders.