Would this work for AD

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm hoping for another 10 myself. I really like Coach and love watching option football. I don't have any long term concerns about his record either.

I don't know where all this no "genuine love" stuff comes from. Except, perhaps, from a nostalgic view of how coaches make decisions these days. If, say, The Great Satan retired from Bammer (speed the day, oh Gods) and they offered Coach the world to go there, he probably would. No such thing nowadays as a coach who "loves" the school that hired him so much that they won't entertain a better business offer. They look at fit and how much money and resources they are offered. I think Coach is satisfied with that at Tech and that he knows and likes the kind of school Tech is; iow, he fits and has little reason to move. He would, however, if the right offer came along: every football coach in the US would do that.

And I think the Navy would break the Pentagon budget to keep Ken N. Or, to be more exact, they should.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, wouldn't be surprised to see CPJ move on or hang it up in the next few seasons. He sounded tired of trying to compete with other schools and his own school for resources.

CPJ is getting up there in age, and he's made A LOT of money. His only child has graduated from college. He's been here going on 9 years now...which is a LONG time for any college coach in this day and age. Maybe he stays long enough to see this group of players mature and find out what he has as the young guys are the most talented bunch of players he's had since his days at GA Southern.

We're probably getting to the point where every year he's still coaching at GT should probably come as a surprise...especially if the next AD isn't as dedicated to getting football the resources it needs to compete.
Cutcliffe, is that you?

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
To much talent going around these days for us to not be competitive with any other system. I could see us easily having success with an Oregon type offense. Most of our Backs could play RB or Receiver so why not spread them out and get them the ball. Lucas Johnson would be the perfect QB for that System. I think after Paul we hire Charles Kelly as Head Coach, keep Roof, and bring in a young OC that runs an Up-Tempo system. IMO it would be more successful and put more butts in the seats, cause TBH most sidewalk fans don't like watching option football. Just an Idea, don't shun me.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
To much talent going around these days for us to not be competitive with any other system. I could see us easily having success with an Oregon type offense. Most of our Backs could play RB or Receiver so why not spread them out and get them the ball. Lucas Johnson would be the perfect QB for that System. I think after Paul we hire Charles Kelly as Head Coach, keep Roof, and bring in a young OC that runs an Up-Tempo system. IMO it would be more successful and put more butts in the seats, cause TBH most sidewalk fans don't like watching option football. Just an Idea, don't shun me.
You're shunned :D

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree, I think both parties are just about ready for a change. CPJ is a good coach but to me he has never really embraced and shown a genuine love for Georgia Tech and it's football traditions. He continually refers to Tech as "they" instead of "we". His recent complaints about the facilities and such further tells me he has put limits on the program and his performance. Hard to be a winner when you think you are a loser.

Go Jackets!
Well put JJ. If Tech doesn't have a blockbuster year this season maybe johnson will just head on toward the sunset. That way Tech can look toward a new AD, BB coach,and the new "play by play" guy they just hired.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Your sentiments are shared by others. I for one still just don't understand the position that our offense, and scheme, has been our problem during CPJ. Did you feel this way during and after the 2014 season also?

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Your sentiments are shared by others. I for one still just don't understand the position that our offense, and scheme, has been our problem during CPJ. Did you feel this way during and after the 2014 season also?[/QUOTE
I don't understand how you can be satisfied with a couple of good seasons. I want a scheme/ Coach that can take us to the next level. The 14 season was great and I appreciate Paul for that, but I want to see a GT coach hold up a crystal ball one day.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand how you can be satisfied with a couple of good seasons. I want a scheme/ Coach that can take us to the next level. The 14 season was great and I appreciate Paul for that, but I want to see a GT coach hold up a crystal ball one day.

Fwiw, you replied to a post focused on offensive scheme, not W-L. Our offense has not just been good 2 seasons, it was elite 2 seasons and has averaged #6 in ppd v pwr5 (bcs aq) over Johnson's tenure.

Those who support Johnson aren't satisfied with not winning it all. They feel that it's easier to work toward a D to compliment our O than go from scratch on both.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

What @AE 87 said. I have seen a Tech coach hold up that crystal ball. I've been watching Tech since Eddie Lee Ivery toted the rock for us. I've seen a lot of good and a lot of bad since then. I'm pretty convinced CPJ gives us a damn good chance for much more of the good than the bad. I'm glad the majority of fans still agree with that notion.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
What @AE 87 said. I have seen a Tech coach hold up that crystal ball. I've been watching Tech since Eddie Lee Ivery toted the rock for us. I've seen a lot of good and a lot of bad since then. I'm pretty convinced CPJ gives us a damn good chance for much more of the good than the bad. I'm glad the majority of fans still agree with that notion.
Ditto and watching longer .

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I agree, I think both parties are just about ready for a change. CPJ is a good coach but to me he has never really embraced and shown a genuine love for Georgia Tech and it's football traditions. He continually refers to Tech as "they" instead of "we". His recent complaints about the facilities and such further tells me he has put limits on the program and his performance. Hard to be a winner when you think you are a loser.

Go Jackets!
Agree Pj has good offense for schools that have athletes to run it but here every yr we have to take a round peg and put it in a square hole...He wears blue every game which makes me wonder if he still is a Navy man or zSouthern at heart....I imagine he will stay here for awhile due to contract but we need to be better than 7 and five

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Agree Pj has good offense for schools that have athletes to run it but here every yr we have to take a round peg and put it in a square hole...He wears blue every game which makes me wonder if he still is a Navy man or zSouthern at heart....I imagine he will stay here for awhile due to contract but we need to be better than 7 and five

How good do you want the offense to be?
From 2008 to 2014, we averaged 2.69 ppd vs pwr5 opponents, #4 highest average over that span.
When you add in the travesty of last year, our average falls off to 2.57, which is still #6 over that time span. Still, by comparison, TCU has averaged 2.40 ppd v pwr5 over the same period, #14.

So, frankly, I have no idea what you mean by round peg and square hole.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
He wears blue every game which makes me wonder if he still is a Navy man or zSouthern at heart....I imagine he will stay here for awhile due to contract but we need to be better than 7 and five

giphy.gif

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I believe he wears navy, in large part, to contrast with everyone else on the sideline (stand out) and thus be more efficient communicating with players on the field.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
This year will make or break cpj. He has talent. If he can't score with these players he's gone. If we have a 7-6 year because of defense, followed by another he'll be gone. If he does better, he'll stay. End of story. 2 years of 7-6 and he's gone.

I think this year will be 8-5 or 9-4. Have no clue about next without JT.