Would 9-3 satisfy?

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
This is one of the more encouraging and grounded threads I have read yet. Glad to get this chance to see someone take the pulse of a good sampling of Tech fans. Yes, we all hope for better. But a 9-3 campaign would sound awfully good given the schedule that's ahead.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
@GTech63:

Very well put. Look at FSU and Clemson who are not only losing a ton on both sides of the football, but they had several players unexpectedly leave early and those losses are always very hard to fix.

A prime example of having too many players leave early is currently on display at LSU who have fallen behind in the SEC West due to approximately 18 players declare early for the NFL draft the past several years. GT has kids who stay and graduate. Or if they stop playing football it's because of a medical situation and the staff can plan for those rare instances in recruiting another player or two in the upcoming or current recruiting class.

BUT 18 players leaving early in two years like LSU had just takes its toll on a program. That is why the Notre Dame win against LSU in the bowl game isn't that impressive to me going into South Bend next season.

I tend to focus more on the Domers loss to USC 49 to 14 to end the season as well as the following scores from last season by the Fighting Irish:

Win against Navy at Fedex Field 49 to 39;

Win over the Tar Heels 50 to 43 in South Bend;

Loss to Arizona State 55 to 31;

Loss to Northwestern 43 to 40 in South Bend;

The Brian Van Gorder led defense doesn't impress me. Let's see what he does against the triple option of GT?

How much of a toll then does losing nearly all of our skill players on offense, plus our best lineman, place on us? Notre Dame was not a good team at the end of the year last year. They will be much improved this year, and we have to play them on the road. It should be a tough game.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd rather lose all of the skilled players on offense than the starting QB and 4/5 O-Linemen. The sky didn't fall when we lost Snoddy, Zenon, and Smelter at the end of the season. I'm confident CPJ and the staff have recruited players to step up and play.

Notre Dame will be a good opponent but hardly the Super Bowl Champions. This is a very winable game.