Worth 8.7 Mill

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Loved watching both those highlight reels. Wish we could have kept both guys, for sure. One decided to stay, one decided to leave. Lots of good examples of multiple great backs having success on good teams (Auburn with Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown?).

Seeing MM's eye-popping speed and explosion just reinforces how high CPJ is/was on DM. MM could've been one of our best BBs. Coaches obviously saw even more potential in DM's game, with no reason to put him at BB1 other than the desire to win.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One thing that is interesting is seeing how play calling varied between the two BBs. CPJ obviously made it a priority to get MM the ball on the edge. With DM, not as much. It would be interesting to see (it will never happen) how each would have done with the other's play calls and identical game situations. Would MM have scored in the final seconds against BC or taken multiple tacklers with him to the EZ like against Vandy and UGAg? Would DM have taken any of those pitches or short passes to the house like MM? We will never know, but it is interesting to think about.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Loved watching both those highlight reels. Wish we could have kept both guys, for sure. One decided to stay, one decided to leave. Lots of good examples of multiple great backs having success on good teams (Auburn with Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown?).

Seeing MM's eye-popping speed and explosion just reinforces how high CPJ is/was on DM. MM could've been one of our best BBs. Coaches obviously saw even more potential in DM's game, with no reason to put him at BB1 other than the desire to win.
When you say "wish we could have kept both guys..." it sounds like you think we (CPJ) should have done something to keep him happy. What should he have done? Have you considered the possibility he didn't like playing Bback? Hmmm....

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I was sold on MM as a B-back when many felt he projected better at A-back. I still think B-back is the preeminent running back position at Tech and maybe MM wouldn't have been happy at A-back but in retrospect I would loved to have seen him play A-back for a few games. It is hard to think that he couldn't have done well at either position.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
When you say "wish we could have kept both guys..." it sounds like you think we (CPJ) should have done something to keep him happy. What should he have done? Have you considered the possibility he didn't like playing Bback? Hmmm....

You simply misinterpreted my post. I wish they both were here, 100% bought in, and playing together for GT. That's all I meant.

I don't ever advocate for doing things to "keep players happy."