Worst coaching decision... ever?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I think he had money on the point-spread and was hoping to score a cheapie on us to cover
The line was more then 15. Unless he had a shifted line, 7 points there wouldn't have covered anything. I do subscribe to the theory that it was to get his back to 100 yards. It seems like such a stupid reason to lose a football game that it must be true.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
The line was more then 15. Unless he had a shifted line, 7 points there wouldn't have covered anything. I do subscribe to the theory that it was to get his back to 100 yards. It seems like such a stupid reason to lose a football game that it must be true.
Mario is known for being a good recruiter, not for being an intelligent in game coach. While I have no proof, this certainly falls within the spectrum of more likely than not given the degree of absolute stupidity it would take to do this.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Mario is known for being a good recruiter, not for being an intelligent in game coach. While I have no proof, this certainly falls within the spectrum of more likely than not given the degree of absolute stupidity it would take to do this.
He sure didn't do anything to change that opinion.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I respectfully disagree. The U has the absolute worst fan base in the ACC. They are rude, obnoxious, and will harass opposing fans mercilessly. Really low class, far worse than FSU or NC State both of whom have had their moments.
I don't know....they treated my family and me very well a few years ago. Had a long talk about GT of 1990 and Joe Hamilton days - that particular Miami fan was very knowledgeable and his family invited us to share some food with them pre-game. My wife is from Venezuela, so she and those latina women got going about something while we talked ball.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I don't know....they treated my family and me very well a few years ago. Had a long talk about GT of 1990 and Joe Hamilton days - that particular Miami fan was very knowledgeable and his family invited us to share some food with them pre-game. My wife is from Venezuela, so she and those latina women got going about something while we talked ball.
I appreciate your perspective...however, I stand by my observations. Most of them are not graduates of the U and are loud mouths.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Agreeing with the statement by no means belittles what our team accomplsihed to win the game. We should have been in no position to win the game at all with 30 sec left. So yes, Miami fed us the W. I don't see your point with the sarcasm in your post.

-Yes our offense had a wonderful drive to win the game
-Yes they executed when it mattered and that speaks volumes about our team's character and desire to win the game
- And yes we should not have been in the position to do those things to begin with.

My laughing at Miami's mistake somehow got turned into a defensive, sarcastic response about what our team did. I congratulated our team elsewhere on the forum. This thread was purely about the stuped choice Miami's coach made. Try to enjoy the win instead of going all keyboard warrior on a fan that is just as happy about this win as you are
I'm glad you posted your congrats in another thread. I generally don't hold in my head who posted what across various threads. I don't even always hold in my head who posted what in the same thread.

You and the poster with whom you agreed said they handed us the win. I disagree with that characterization and I think it comes across, perhaps unintentionally, as belittling of our team and completely ignoring what the team had to do to actually win the game. To me there's a difference between handing us a win and handing us a slim chance. If what you were attempting to communicate was laughing at Miami then, at least to me, that didn't come across but I'm glad to hear I misunderstood your POV and that you do give the team credit.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
There is nothing insulting about speaking the truth. Miami gave the game away. That doesn’t take away credit from our guys. If that same situation happens to ten teams, nine out of ten teams don’t take advantage and find a way to score. Hasselbeck annoyed me on the call all night, but his final call was actually perfect. He said “make no mistake, Georgia Tech WON this game, but Miami LOST this game.” It sounds stupid, but it actually perfectly describes the situation.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
There is nothing insulting about speaking the truth. Miami gave the game away. That doesn’t take away credit from our guys. If that same situation happens to ten teams, nine out of ten teams don’t take advantage and find a way to score. Hasselbeck annoyed me on the call all night, but his final call was actually perfect. He said “make no mistake, Georgia Tech WON this game, but Miami LOST this game.” It sounds stupid, but it actually perfectly describes the situation.
Absolutely agree. Miami had this game sewn up. We had absolutely no ability to control the outcome of the game had Miami taken a knee. Once Miami made that fateful mistake our guys got the job done. It took both Miami's unfathomable error PLUS GT making plays. GT won this game but Miami lost it is 100% accurate.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
It makes one wonder about the asst coaches. none had the b---- to point this
out. that's why I have a wife-- to keep me right.

this
I’m not so sure… there has been a lot of evidence presented that this might be a “thing” for Cristobal. His teams haven’t taken knees in similar situations many times before. They are circling the wagons now that it but them in the butt, but I’m guessing the assts would have no reason to point this out because it has already been discussed and determined.

I hope next week he starts taking a knee too soon, has to give it away with a few seconds left, and loses on a last second punt return. :LOL:

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
The Cristobal call was definitely a bad one that will be long remembered by both fan bases. However, with only 26 seconds left, the Miami defense had 75 yards to make a stop but could not!

I call that a well-deserved Victory for the Jackets!

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Now confirmed to be the call the OC made: https://theathletic.com./4946642/20...tors-georgia-tech/?source=user_shared_article
Honestly, this was a failure from top to bottom. Truly wonderful.
There is a lot of CYA in those statements.

The OC "called for the handoff", but refused to discuss what was being said in the headset before the call. That doesn't mean that the OC is the one who made the decision to handoff, only that he called in the play to handoff. The OC and Cristobol left enough open that there can be argument and discussion about who actually made the decision. They also make it difficult to hand out any actual responsibility for the decision.

Miami requested feedback on "whether or not Chaney’s elbow was down before he was stripped of the football". He was down before the ball was stripped out. That doesn't matter on the replay because you have to know for certain that the RB had clear possession of the ball when his elbow was down. The replay cannot show that, because you can't see the ball. What if the ball was loose and moving BEFORE the ball was forcibly pulled out. The replay has to prove with irrefutable evidence that the call on the field was wrong. No video evidence exists that can prove the RB had the ball firmly in possession when his elbow hit the ground. This is a statement to appease Miami fans and to try to take away the heat from the HC.

The decision to go for it was stupid, even if it had not been fumbled. The decision on whether to go for it or not rests on the HC. Even if the OC decided to run, the HC should understand that the game is over if you take a knee, and not 100% over if you do not take a knee. He should override any decision that any assistant makes that has a chance to lose the game. Does the HC allow the special teams coordinator to decide whether to kick a FG or go for it on 4th down. Does the HC allow the special teams coordinator to make the decision on whether to go for a PAT or go for two? This type of response seems to me to indicate a total lack of accountability and a system of disfunction in the coaching staff. However, it seems to be pretty much on par for Miami football for the past 20 years.

Flajacket

Georgia Tech Fan