Worst coaching decision... ever?

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
I respectfully disagree. The U has the absolute worst fan base in the ACC. They are rude, obnoxious, and will harass opposing fans mercilessly. Really low class, far worse than FSU or NC State both of whom have had their moments.
This comment thread verifies exactly what you are saying. Enjoy the thUg melt

Attachments

• IMG_6970.png
    IMG_6970.png
    499 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_6971.jpeg
    IMG_6971.jpeg
    569.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_6972.jpeg
    IMG_6972.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_6973.jpeg
    IMG_6973.jpeg
    513.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_6974.jpeg
    IMG_6974.jpeg
    501.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_6975.jpeg
    IMG_6975.jpeg
    300.1 KB · Views: 130

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Cristobal will never live this down.

They could have knelt not just once, but twice. And they had timeouts if there was any uncertainty.

Was that the biggest coaching blunder you've ever seen?

Hats off to our guys fighting to the absolute final whistle and taking advantage of the mistake. Wow.
Supposedly he did something similar at Oregon against Stanford. Lost the game in OT. Slow learner.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Some coaches try to outthink themselves or get too fancy. While it doesn’t cost you the game all the time, it does make you say why. You see it every Saturday. Like my old ball coach used to say: “You don’t beat yourself “.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Supposedly he did something similar at Oregon against Stanford. Lost the game in OT. Slow learner.
They actually won in overtime so it wasn't as talked about. The issue is he could have taken a knee in regulation and won but instead let Stanford tie the game to take it to overtime.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I think it was the best. Bottom line is we are not a good football team yet. We have a long way to go. Our wins come when the other team makes mistakes, in this case massive mistakes.

I hope we can count on a few more teams to make a lot of mistakes this year.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Best way to put it..
Right, because we were up by three so when we got the ball all we had to do was sit on it? Right? Or maybe we were tied and could sit on the ball and get to OT? For sure we lose if Cristobal and his assistants don't make one ginormous blunder (and he's done it before so hasn't learned anything since then). But our guys still had to execute what they really hadn't done all day and not since the first few minutes against BGSU. They had to go 74 yards in less than 30 seconds with no timeouts against a defense that had, for the most part, kept us bottled up. So it's not the like the game was over with the boneheaded play call to run it.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Was he trying to score another TD to pad the score (trying to move up in the rankings)?? Hoped Chaney could break one up the middle and worst case burn clock. Backfired.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
That makes sense. Tried to reward his back. Cost him a win if he did. Wonder what he didn't learn against Stanford.
@Techster posted a Tweet from Dan Wolken showing that Cristobal seems to have something against having his QB take a knee. He hasn't done it a single time this year. He did do it twice last year, once against us. But that's definitely an interesting observation.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
I dunno. ‘Ol Cristobal was intently listening to different coaches talking into his headphones, so I have no idea what he (Cristobal) was thinkin.’ Maybe he just had a brain fart and let his Offensive Coordinator call the plays. Who knows?

Glad it happened, though. LOL

BTW, here’s the bio for Miami’s Offensive Coordinator, Shannon Dawson:

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
Right, because we were up by three so when we got the ball all we had to do was sit on it? Right? Or maybe we were tied and could sit on the ball and get to OT? For sure we lose if Cristobal and his assistants don't make one ginormous blunder (and he's done it before so hasn't learned anything since then). But our guys still had to execute what they really hadn't done all day and not since the first few minutes against BGSU. They had to go 74 yards in less than 30 seconds with no timeouts against a defense that had, for the most part, kept us bottled up. So it's not the like the game was over with the boneheaded play call to run it.
Agreeing with the statement by no means belittles what our team accomplsihed to win the game. We should have been in no position to win the game at all with 30 sec left. So yes, Miami fed us the W. I don't see your point with the sarcasm in your post.

-Yes our offense had a wonderful drive to win the game
-Yes they executed when it mattered and that speaks volumes about our team's character and desire to win the game
- And yes we should not have been in the position to do those things to begin with.

My laughing at Miami's mistake somehow got turned into a defensive, sarcastic response about what our team did. I congratulated our team elsewhere on the forum. This thread was purely about the stuped choice Miami's coach made. Try to enjoy the win instead of going all keyboard warrior on a fan that is just as happy about this win as you are

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Was he trying to score another TD to pad the score (trying to move up in the rankings)?? Hoped Chaney could break one up the middle and worst case burn clock. Backfired.
I think he had money on the point-spread and was hoping to score a cheapie on us to cover