Worst coaching decision... ever?

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree. It was a really bad matchup for our offense, and they gutted it out.

The team and Key needed to take last week’s disaster and course-correct. Last week was the end of the program ;) . This week, we’re BACK baby!

Biggest game of Key’s career is in two weeks against Boston College.

Why? That’s what you’re supposed to do.
I said in a post earlier that I would put 2 LB’s on the BC QB. From what Ive seen the BC QB struggles to throw the ball but he’s like Joe Hamilton running it. That kind of offense ain’t good going against our defense. besides the BG game the defense gets to the ball on the run, it’s big plays down field is what they struggle with. You’re right, huge game coming up in 2 weeks. I believe the team needs some rest and I’m thinking they’ll come out firing on all cylinders against BC

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The team and Key needed to take last week’s disaster and course-correct. Last week was the end of the program ;) . This week, we’re BACK baby!

Biggest game of Key’s career is in two weeks against Boston College.
I think I know you enough to know this is a bit (if not entirely) TIC but I have grown weary of the game to game dissection of a coach's efficacy that has somehow happened in this sport over the last decade or so.

slugboy

Staff member
I think I know you enough to know this is a bit (if not entirely) TIC but I have grown weary of the game to game dissection of a coach's efficacy that has somehow happened in this sport over the last decade or so.
I’m just enjoying the day. This is why CFB is so beautiful.

There are other days to second-guess every coaching decision (if that’s your thing—it’s not mine). Sun is out today, sky is beautiful, and the air is fresh.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
There are other days to second-guess every coaching decision (if that’s your thing—it’s not mine).
I was standing in line to second guess Cristobal, but holy cow it was long. So I moved back to the GT line. At least I know most everybody there. 😋

Line Waiting GIF by South Park

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Football games are not perfect. Key elected to not kick the extra point but instead to kneel. We needed to run off 2 seconds. Al good choices. But we did not hesitate long enough after the snap and before the kneel, and the kneel was so quick we did not deplete the clock. Instead we gave Miami a chance with all that razzle dazzle at the end. It did not work but it could have. Coaches and players are not perfect. That's why football is such a great game!

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Football games are not perfect. Key elected to not kick the extra point but instead to kneel. We needed to run off 2 seconds. Al good choices. But we did not hesitate long enough after the snap and before the kneel, and the kneel was so quick we did not deplete the clock. Instead we gave Miami a chance with all that razzle dazzle at the end. It did not work but it could have. Coaches and players are not perfect. That's why football is such a great game!
The clock does not run on extra point attempts.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
The point after try is untimed.

I don’t agree with not kicking it, and I would have squibbed it differently, but it worked out, so all good

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
From my perspective, it’s the second worse call in my lifetime. I believe the worst was Baylor / UNLV 1999. Baylor led by 3 with a first and goal and UNLV had no timeouts with little time left in the game. Baylor tried to score a rushing TD on the last play to intentionally run up the score, fumbled and UNLV scored the game winner as time expired on a 99 yard scoop and score. I read about that last night on Reddit.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
It would be hilarious if the U made it to the Playoffs and won the dang thing. That game highlight would be shown over and over. Not that I want them to win anything.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Without a doubt, in a vacuum this one is up there along with the 1999 Baylor UNLV disaster (which was honestly worse) .

I know MLB advanced stats include things like “championship win percentage added”. I doubt CFB has this.

In terms of negative championship win percentage added, this one certainly nearly killed Miami. I assume there have been bigger impact bad decisions that weren’t nearly as terrible.

yoshiki2

Georgia Tech Fan
You see these mistake happening in college football, which makes it fun. I'm not NFL expert but the few games I've watched it seems like most pro teams play not to lose.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
There is no excuse
The craziest thing about the quote is that he has to go through an elaborate explanation of the circumstances before finally concluding that they should have just taken a knee. It's as if he didn't realize it was an option until giving the situation considerable thought!
But the thing is his explanation is wrong. We took a time out with 1:18 on the clock on 2nd down, there was no "recalibrating" needed after that.

I also think it speaks to his "character" that in his explanation he basically calls out the player saying they talked about putting 2 hands on the ball. He is 100% to blame for that loss and no one else.