GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I’d like to see the top four remain in the top four so I guess I’m pulling for Wisconsin. I wonder what would happen if Clemson and Oklahoma win, Auburn narrowly beats UGA, and Wisconsin loses. UGA and Auburn in the top four? Auburn and Alabama? Auburn and Ohio State. All of the possibilities are hurting my head. I’m for any scenario that keeps UGA and Ohio State out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I’d like to see the top four remain in the top four so I guess I’m pulling for Wisconsin. I wonder what would happen if Clemson and Oklahoma win, Auburn narrowly beats UGA, and Wisconsin loses. UGA and Auburn in the top four? Auburn and Alabama? Auburn and Ohio State. All of the possibilities are hurting my head. I’m for any scenario that keeps UGA and Ohio State out.

OSU winning would really fark things up royally:LOL:

THWG

Helluva Engineer

I think that if OSU wins and the rest of the top 3 win then Alabama will sneak in at 4 and the matchup will be Clemson vs. Bama and Oklahoma vs. Auburn with SECSPN hoping that it's Bama vs. Auburn for the championship.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
But you do realize they'd roll us by 40, correct?

Some of the arguments I'm hearing here is about their competition. So you're saying if we were in the BigTen West we'd be winning 10 games a year. I just can't buy that, not even close.

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying they get a boost from being essentially the best team in their division, football history and academics aside. GT would be on the Minnesota/Nebraska tier, maybe even on a similar but slightly higher tier with Illinois. there's no reason to say we'd do similar based on any statistics. I was simply stating that they got a luck draw as opposed to last year when they pulled Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio state as their draws from that division IIRC. Scheduling gods likes them this year in conference. Even with an easier schedule going undefeated is still very hard. Just look at how much people complain about GT not being 8-3

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying they get a boost from being essentially the best team in their division, football history and academics aside. GT would be on the Minnesota/Nebraska tier, maybe even on a similar but slightly higher tier with Illinois. there's no reason to say we'd do similar based on any statistics. I was simply stating that they got a luck draw as opposed to last year when they pulled Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio state as their draws from that division IIRC. Scheduling gods likes them this year in conference. Even with an easier schedule going undefeated is still very hard. Just look at how much people complain about GT not being 8-3
I think GT would be similar to Purdue;)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
While we are at it, let's add athletic budget:
`
1. Clemson - 40 - 11 -$105 million
2. Auburn - 45 - 15 - $140 million
3. Oklahoma - 37 - 36 - $150 million
4. Wisconsin - 6 - 61 - $133 million
5. Alabama - 69 - 54 - $164 million
6. Georgia - 54 - 48 - $124 million

And GT's is $76 million. GT could do a lot more with an additional $57 million per year.

I'd be pretty pleased with just 30 mil. That would go a long way toward building an adequate recruiting department. Wouldn't hurt the ability to attract more high profile assistants either.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Sorry but how do you know? If GT only had a chemical engineering major, would he have still come to Tech? Maybe but maybe not.

Probably. I finished in ChE, and believe me, I’m not a genius.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
LOL...the Wisconsin hate because they play above their recruiting is hilarious. Do they sometimes have an easier schedule? Sure, but they beat the teams they should beat. Let's not forget, the ACC has only recently been considered a strong conference. Remember how long it took for the ACC to win a BCS bowl game?

Wisconsin is one of those teams that have been consistent for close to 2 decades now. Their last losing record was in 2001. GT should admire their football model: Recruit underrated athletes, develop them in their system, and outplay their recruiting rankings. IMO, it's a program to be admired because of their consistency, and challenge recruiting to Wisconsin.

I agree. And I think they might be doing some things we could learn from to improve ourselves possibly. Seeing as we don't compete with them, or any of their rivals, they might actually entertain an trip of inquiry.

They are also something of an anomaly. There aren't many more, any?, similar examples. And they have a rabid fanbase that helps sell recruits. (Our game day atmosphere is not a selling point...it just isn't. Not to anyone that is initially impartial to our program and history)

And I do think they play an easier schedule most years. Vastly so the last 2-3 years in particular.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
They are also something of an anomaly. There aren't many more, any?, similar examples. And they have a rabid fanbase that helps sell recruits. (Our game day atmosphere is not a selling point...it just isn't. Not to anyone that is initially impartial to our program and history)

You mean empty seats between the 40's on gameday against a big conference foe isn't a great gameday atmosphere? It's another recruiting obstacle for some kids, one that's tough to hurdle. Stephon Tuitt loved GT until he took his official to ND and was blown away by their gameday atmosphere.

One thing I do hope for in Stansbury is bringing his experience, however short it was, from Oregon State. OSU plays second fiddle to Oregon and is the engineering school in the state. They're the GT if Oregon is Georgia. The majority of the bumper stickers and license plates have a big 'ol green O around here. The lady who baby sits our little guy sometimes is a huge Oregon fan, despite not having any connection to the school. And OSU gets routinely pounded by Oregon every year, although Mark Helfrich was Oregon's Jim Donnan last year.

So ... let's give Stansbury some time to get things rolling. It takes time to change, particularly in a big organization that is used to, "we've always done it this way". Even if we get new recruiting staff it will take time for them to be effective.