RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
That's a fair point - I'm not advocating we become Wisc south. I guess what I'm getting at is we don't have to have 4 and 5 star guys to consistently win football games. There is very clearly a recipe to their success, and whether that's competition, coaching, or something else is unbeknownst to me. But I think there are elements of their program that we could emulate that may make us more successful. Maybe that stuff is within our control, maybe it's not, I'm just not sure, which is why I brought it up to get your thoughts.
That is the reason that I pointed out the budget difference. The money that the program has is something that the fans can influence. If we want the program to have better facilities and more staff to help with things like recruiting, us fans can help with that.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
That's a fair point - I'm not advocating we become Wisc south. I guess what I'm getting at is we don't have to have 4 and 5 star guys to consistently win football games. There is very clearly a recipe to their success, and whether that's competition, coaching, or something else is unbeknownst to me. But I think there are elements of their program that we could emulate that may make us more successful. Maybe that stuff is within our control, maybe it's not, I'm just not sure, which is why I brought it up to get your thoughts.

Absolutely. I think our offensive system maximizes the talent we get. Our issue has been on the defensive side. Ironically, our defense improved this year, but our offense and ST regressed and didn't take full advantage of the defensive improvement. Throw in a top 10 SoS and you get 5-6. That's not to say our D didn't wet the bed against Duke and uga, or have letdowns in other games, we just didn't perform on O to the level we are used to performing.

The biggest thing we could emulate is to fund the program at the same level they do, get fans to actually show up to games, regardless of start time or team record, and hire the support staff to compete with the schools around us. These things need to come first. If we don't commit to these, a new coach will struggle in the same ways our current coaching staff does.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Great post. The only thing I would adjust is the last sentence about challenging recruiting. Sconnie has been consistently ranked in the top 5 for party schools the past decade, and Madison is like an amusement park if you're 18-22. That's how they land the majority of their recruits according to my contacts within the program. That place is seriously amazing if you're a young athlete and you love girls and partying.
Or if you are NOT a serious athlete, believe me.....

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely. I think our offensive system maximizes the talent we get. Our issue has been on the defensive side. Ironically, our defense improved this year, but our offense and ST regressed and didn't take full advantage of the defensive improvement. Throw in a top 10 SoS and you get 5-6. That's not to say our D didn't wet the bed against Duke and uga, or have letdowns in other games, we just didn't perform on O to the level we are used to performing.

The biggest thing we could emulate is to fund the program at the same level they do, get fans to actually show up to games, regardless of start time or team record, and hire the support staff to compete with the schools around us. These things need to come first. If we don't commit to these, a new coach will struggle in the same ways our current coaching staff does.
AMEN

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I pulled this from the UW website:
QUICK FACTS 9,166 COURSES 232 UNDERGRADUATE MAJORS AND CERTIFICATES

Cut their number of majors to 38 and call me 5 years afterward and let's talk.
One can never, ever, get away from this and it's effect on GT recruiting in all sports.

As an aside, GT will get those big ole farm boys right after they put in majors in AG.
UW has about 30 majors in its AG department.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Yup. Agree with the Madison scene. I have a female friend that went there and the stories I've heard from her. Man, makes me want to go back to college, execpt it would be creepy seeing as I'm in my 30's now. Ahem.
Know the feeling..... except for me it's " Hey, someone's DAD is here" LOL...

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer

One can never, ever, get away from this and it's effect on GT recruiting in all sports.

As an aside, GT will get those big ole farm boys right after they put in majors in AG.
True!!

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Totally different situations.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I didn't check their roster to see if defection / injury resulted in 10 4 star guys leaving, but I counted 16 4 stars on ESPN.

1. Also there's this, in 2016 from this article:
  • Wisconsin vs. S&P+ top 10 (1-3): Avg. percentile performance: 76% | Avg. yards per play: Opp 5.6, UW 5.0 (minus-0.6) | Avg. postgame win expectancy: 37%
  • Wisconsin vs. everyone else (10-0): Avg. percentile performance: 85% | Avg. yards per play: UW 5.6, Opp 4.6 (plus-1.0) | Avg. postgame win expectancy: 89%
IMO, there's no magic formula.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck

It's not about recruiting "big ole farm boys". It's about recruiting the right guys for your system - for them that means big ole farm boys, for us its solid and agile guys. If we had their offensive line in our scheme, we would probably be much worse off because they don't match our profile. We need to be better about getting the right guys in that fit our system - someone brought up Shaq before. I understand every one won't be like him, but that should be (and probably is) the model, we just need to land those kids. Our number of majors, or any other school's for that matter, had little to nothing to do with getting Shaq on campus.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
It's not about recruiting "big ole farm boys". It's about recruiting the right guys for your system - for them that means big ole farm boys, for us its solid and agile guys. If we had their offensive line in our scheme, we would probably be much worse off because they don't match our profile. We need to be better about getting the right guys in that fit our system - someone brought up Shaq before. I understand every one won't be like him, but that should be (and probably is) the model, we just need to land those kids. Our number of majors, or any other school's for that matter, had little to nothing to do with getting Shaq on campus.
My point, possibly not well explained, was that Shaq got drafted, so that other OLs would see that they could come here and possibly get drafted, too. But he was an outlier as far as it has been recently.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
And **** UCF. They need an * next to there
11-0 record. No one talks about how Frost ducked us. Maybe they would’ve beat us but they sure as hell didn’t want to play us to find out.
You cannot possibly be serious. He has to be the only coach in the country who didn't want us this year.Why in the world would he be afraid? Not to mention that hurricane thingy.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
According to Sagarin Wisconsin has played the 61st hardest schedule compared to our 8th. I could very easily see Tech this year going 9-3 or so with their schedule. The rest is luck and we didn't have any with tipped passes, field goals that hit both uprights and go in, ect.
Yessssss. And speaking of this: why do we keep scheduling good football teams? We have to play Ugag (I guess) and we are stuck with Clemson and our division rivals, but why Jacksonville State? Let's try real hard to get our SoS down in the near future.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Our OOC games were much higher ranking.

not as much that as much as their division is a lot weaker than ours. Half their division is bowl inelgible and every team they drew from the other division except Michigan was also bowl inelgible. Did not draw Ohio State, Michigan State, or Penn State.The reason they are consistently good as of late was the splitting of the big 10 divisions so that they are the marquee program in their division, on top of being the flagship athletic program in their state, as they are really the only D1 school from Wisconsin. GT doesn't have either of those. Athletic funding comes from those two factors (success in the division will always translate to success outside of the division, flagship athletic programs will always garner more support.

Milwaukee

Banned
not as much that as much as their division is a lot weaker than ours. Half their division is bowl inelgible and every team they drew from the other division except Michigan was also bowl inelgible. Did not draw Ohio State, Michigan State, or Penn State.The reason they are consistently good as of late was the splitting of the big 10 divisions so that they are the marquee program in their division, on top of being the flagship athletic program in their state, as they are really the only D1 school from Wisconsin. GT doesn't have either of those. Athletic funding comes from those two factors (success in the division will always translate to success outside of the division, flagship athletic programs will always garner more support.

But you do realize they'd roll us by 40, correct?

Some of the arguments I'm hearing here is about their competition. So you're saying if we were in the BigTen West we'd be winning 10 games a year. I just can't buy that, not even close.