Win Total Predictions

How many wins does Tech get this season?

• Total voters

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
Is the game next week the one where Tech suffers the inexplicable loss to a (supposedly) much more inferior team from a lower classification?

I think we’re safe next week, lol. I checked some models this morning and our o/u season wins is still around 4.2. At surface value, it should have dipped about 0.3 (the probability of winning last night) to 3.9 but our win probability in other games went up slightly to roughly even it out. I don’t want to dwell on the loser-speak of celebrating losses like Goof but thought it was an interesting observation based on last night’s performance.

GetYourBuzzOn

Georgia Tech Fan
I think we’re safe next week, lol. I checked some models this morning and our o/u season wins is still around 4.2. At surface value, it should have dipped about 0.3 (the probability of winning last night) to 3.9 but our win probability in other games went up slightly to roughly even it out. I don’t want to dwell on the loser-speak of celebrating losses like Goof but thought it was an interesting observation based on last night’s performance.
I’ll post updated win projections based on SP+ every Tuesday or Wednesday. I think we’ll improve to 4.5- I expect our power rating to improve more than the .14 probability that SP+ gave for the LOU game. Also, granted it was posted at halftime, but Bill Connelly tweeted that he may have underestimated GT this year.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Is the game next week the one where Tech suffers the inexplicable loss to a (supposedly) much more inferior team from a lower classification?
No, I don't think Coach Key will be as prone to that sort of thing as Coach Collins' crew was but the margin for error on this team is very narrow. Tech is not good enough to overcome miscues and has to play near perfect to have a chance against good teams never mind UGA and Clemson. My biggest concern is the line play on both sides of the ball. Very disappointing. As usual, it would seem we have wide receivers, running backs, and a gazillion defensive backs but linemen that have quickness, size, talent, strength and stamina are as scarce as hen's teeth.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I changed from 6 to 5 wins. The wins should be SC St., Bowling Green, Virginia (though we normally don't do well in Charlottesville), Boston College and Syracuse. Assuming we lose 1 of those, maybe a pickup from Wake or Miami. I just don't think based on what I see that we have much of a chance against Ole Miss, Clemson, Georgia or UNC. I realize we have done well against UNC but they looked really good against SC and actually had a defense.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I said 5 (ignoring my heart) going with my head. I do think Coach Key has at least one pretty big upset [potentially] in this team.

Clemson, Ole Miss, UNC, UGA ... yep my heart speaks. How cool would it be?
I would love to see one upset from this group as well. That said, the chances of winning any of those games based upon what I saw are pretty slim. I don't even think we can beat UNC which is usually a prime upset hope. My win total prediction remains at 5 with wins over SC State, Bowling Green, Virginia, BC, and Syracuse. It is possible we could beat Wake. Miami, being Miami, is always talented, always underachieving but can't see winning that one either. Gun to my head I do not realistically see a bowl for this team but we will see. There is a reason why both teams wanted that game in the win column as it possibly opened the path to a bowl season for the winner.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Is that ever not the case?
Good catch. I meant in their particular situations, both teams really needed this win because quite frankly neither one of them is all that great and wins will be at a premium. Upon further review, Tech's schedule is considerably more demanding so Key needed the win more so than Brohm although it can be argued that as a first year coach and one widely seen in Louisville as the savior of the program he needed it pretty badly as well. This is in contrast to say, LSU which lost badly to FSU last night. LSU has lots of opportunities to make up for that embarrassment kick the living daylights out of some small fry say Mississippi State, Kentucky, or beat Ole Miss or Florida then all will be forgiven.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I voted 5, and I have consistently said we could win anywhere from 3-7 games this season. In order to win 6-7 games, we need some breaks to roll our way.

After last Fridays game, I'll stick with it. We played much better football than I hoped for. WE had a close loss to a peer. Louisville is as close to a match for us in talent as anyone in the ACC. Considering where we are coming from, last weekends game was a breath of fresh air. We can still win 6 or even 7 games, but for that to happen we're gonna need some luck. As long as we continue to play improved football I'll be happy this season.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
UL - L
SC St - W
Miss - L
Wake - L
BGSU - W
Miami - L
BC - W
UNC - L
UVA - L
Clem - L
Cuse - L
UGA - L x5

This is the likely outcome IMO. Might be able to pull off something against Miami.

calvin forever

Georgia Tech Fan
Gold-tinted glasses here, but I think we can/maybe should beat SC St, BG, Wake, BC, UVA, and Cuse.

We probably lose one of those, and we’ll upset either Miami or Clemson.

So I’ll call it 6-6, with a high likelihood of 5-7.