Win Total Predictions

How many wins does Tech get this season?

• Total voters

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Considering exclusively

1. The heart our team immediately showed after key took over, which I believe lead us to wins over ranked opponents, coupled now with a whole off season of that

2. A much better quarterback situation

I’m going 7 wins

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
What I want to see is what Errin Joe states here:

"Just reestablishing what Tech is," Joe said about Key's mission. "Toughness, discipline, commitment, execution – the things that (Key) got when he was a player here. Old-school football. Teams are going to be saying, 'Hey, we don't want to play Tech because we know they play hard. And those kids are smart, and they give everything they got."

Thinking between 4-7 wins and going with 6 if we stay reasonably healthy. Figuring we are a little better in the trenches than we are getting credit for. But mostly want to see team that brings it.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I, reluctantly, voted for 5. The problem here is that it is a point estimate. 5 Is what the team's difficulties - no set QB, new O and OC, lost our DE difference maker - seems to fit best. But … if the predictions were put into "confidence intervals" (not real ones, just ranges) I would have voted for 5 - 7. If a few things tip our way, then I don't see any reason why we couldn't win 7. But luck will have to be on our side.

Let's hope it is.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
I, reluctantly, voted for 5. The problem here is that it is a point estimate. 5 Is what the team's difficulties - no set QB, new O and OC, lost our DE difference maker - seems to fit best. But … if the predictions were put into "confidence intervals" (not real ones, just ranges) I would have voted for 5 - 7. If a few things tip our way, then I don't see any reason why we couldn't win 7. But luck will have to be on our side.

Let's hope it is.
Are you mistaking “no set QB” for ~hard choice between two good QB’s~?
Not trying to be rude but in case you didn’t know, there is one set as starter, Haynes King

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Not trying to be rude but in case you didn’t know, there is one set as starter, Haynes King
Pyron is really overrated by the crew here. He’s no better than a middling ACC starting QB, at least as a true freshman. Decently accurate, decent playmaking ability, dedicated heart (too dedicated sometimes as you saw when he picked up his injury).

Let’s not pretend we’ve got 2 Drake Maye’s dueling for the starting spot here. Anyway as I said in another thread, it’ll ultimately come down to line play. The front 7 on D have enormous shoes to fill insofar as I’m expecting a major regression by our DBs this season. Their job is a lot harder without CT3, Keion, and Ace.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Perhaps too optimistic, but I hope to see 7-5.

Lose to Ole Miss--Clem--UNC---Miami---pups.

Hopefully not a Fantasy!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
No, I meant that we don't have a QB who has experience facing Tech's opponents and winning against them. This is compounded by a new OC and a new O. Normally, that takes a year or so to work out the kinks. I'm especially apprehensive about running a Ugag-style O with the OL we have coming back.

But, mainly, I meant that we don't have a proven QB to go on the field. King has starting experience and that's a plus. But he doesn't have starting experience at Tech or in the new O.

But maybe he'll turn out to be effective. We'll see soon enough.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
No, I meant that we don't have a QB who has experience facing Tech's opponents and winning against them. This is compounded by a new OC and a new O. Normally, that takes a year or so to work out the kinks. I'm especially apprehensive about running a Ugag-style O with the OL we have coming back.

But, mainly, I meant that we don't have a proven QB to go on the field. King has starting experience and that's a plus. But he doesn't have starting experience at Tech or in the new O.

But maybe he'll turn out to be effective. We'll see soon enough.
I'm optimistic about what I see as improving personnel and coaching staff, but you're right to point out that experience of coaching staff and players (including our starting QB) working with each other and finding the same page to work on is bound to slow us down. On the cusp of a new season it's always the same with me - my natural optimism is tempered by the sour bells rung by the realists.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm saying 6 wins.

This is the toughest prediction it's been in a long time, however. We have 2 good QBs, a stacked WR room, a decent set of RBs, what seems like an improved (at least older) OL, and a defense that could really go either way (given that we have a strong secondary, but are reloading at the LB position).

At the same time, we have a new stable of coaches whose pedigrees and previous experience all speak highly of them, but who we haven't seen working together yet.

So many unknowns, so I'm playing it safe and landing at 6 wins in the middle of the road. I'm hopeful I'll have lots of egg on my face when we go 15-0.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
The good news is that Key has got the team reconditioned to play good basic football I believe. The bad news is there are way too many losses of top players from last yr and questions about integration of new into this team right now--QB,DL,LBs and really STs probably - with OL always questionable.
So with no real killer injuries- 5 wins.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Pyron is really overrated by the crew here. He’s no better than a middling ACC starting QB, at least as a true freshman. Decently accurate, decent playmaking ability, dedicated heart (too dedicated sometimes as you saw when he picked up his injury).

I'll argue that Pyron was a true freshmen, didn't take many snaps in preseason camp, barely used during the season. He showed out pretty well considering those circumstance.

I'm not saying he's going to be a future NFL draft pick, nor am I saying he's better than King...my point is there's a LONG runway for him to grow and develop. Joe Hamilton was booed as a redshirt freshmen, and people openly questioned him as a sophomore. QBs eventually develop under the right coaching. Hamilton had one of the best OCs in college football to coach him up. I saw enough to know Pyron has the talent to be a good P5 QB. He'll need coaching like anyone else. The rest is up to him.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The good news is that Key has got the team reconditioned to play good basic football I believe. The bad news is there are way too many losses of top players from last yr and questions about integration of new into this team right now--QB,DL,LBs and really STs probably - with OL always questionable.
So with no real killer injuries- 5 wins.
The bad news is merely that we don't know (questions about a lot). We won't know until 2-3 weeks in whether it's bad news or good news. More, now that ever, the preseason polls will be meaningless. Too much movement from team to team is occurring to know who's going to be really good versus good versus average versus bad.

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
7 wins this year with the chance for an 8th with a bowl win.

IMO, the most important game is the opener against UL. If we can pick up a win, we have a great chance of going to Ole Miss at 2-0 with momentum and confidence.

Shock the world this year boys!

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Putting my optimistic case scenario out into the universe with 8 wins.

We have a lot of talent on our roster. 247 had us #5 in the ACC last year in team talent. I believe in Key's approach to coaching and building a team. I believe our OL is going to make a huge leap this year (from dismal to decent would be a huge leap). Haynes King has a ton of talent. A lot has been said about the improvements he's made, I'm hopeful he can be really good for us. We have plenty of talent at WR and DB, just need some playmakers to show out. I feel pretty good about our DL, I think we have some players who are ready to break out. LB, RB and TE are the positions I'm most unsure about.

Ole Miss on the road is tough. Unfortunately, the mutts are on a different level right now. With a little luck, we can beat any team in the ACC on a good day if we just play hard and smart and don't beat ourselves with penalties and stupid mistakes. We'll have some bad days, but my heart says 8 wins is possible.

(Head says 6. But I just want to see us play tough smart football.)