Will we can Brian Gregory

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
Braine absolutely put us in the majority of our current position, but MBob put himself a meaningful extra $1MM in the hole. Had he avoided that misstep, the donors aren't scoffing at the notion of him compounding the existing mistake and have probably funded the buyout by now.
We don't know if any of this is true. It's not reliable info. Until now, insiders were saying buyout was renegotiated to be smaller and Gregory is gone this week.

Clearly, there is no reliable info and it's not fair to go after Bobinski with unreliable info. Everyone be more patient.

Here is reliable info. Bobinski negotiated a very good deal with CPJ. Much better than deals DRad or Braine negotiated previously. Let's wait and see what Bobinski is working on and grade him based on that.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's something I wrote elsewhere. The AJC is claiming they've reviewed the contract via Freedom of Information Act. The Sports Compensation article links to an AJC article that no longer exists. Now, I'm not saying the AJC is such a reliable source, but if anyone is going to have gone about it in a journalistic, fact-based matter, it'll be them. Signs point to MBob putting us $800M-$1MM further in the hole, based on public sources. The rest of my comment about the donors taking a stand against such a stupid move is purely my speculation.

Assuming the AJC is correct (and that's a big assumption on my part), the $2.4MM buyout was a colossal mistake by Bobinski having only himself to blame. I understood & agreed with the rationale for the extension (recruiting impact, program stability), but the performance through that point did not garner BG the leverage to demand a reset of the buyout percentages.
Per the article below, had the buyout percentages just been continued, we'd be looking at a buyout of about $1.5MM-$1.6MM, a much easier pill to swallow and convince donors to pony up for compared to $2.4MM
http://sportscompensation.com/former-dayton-coach-brian-gregory-hired-by-georgia-tech/
Per the AJC article below, it would appear that Bobinski agreed to restart the buyout percentages, resulting in the aforementioned buyout amount. I recognize that we had seen some progress and hindsight is 20/20 on the past two seasons' performance, but there just doesn't seem to be a business rationale to agree to resetting the buyout until you've seen even more improved performance, in which case you're giving him a much better, much deserved extension anyway.
http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2015/03/12/notes-background-on-gregory-buyout/
I guess the bottom line is that Bobinski managed to Braine the situation and has now potentially dug an even deeper hole for Georgia Tech hoops that may take another 3-5 years to climb out of.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
2 players have indicated support.
Quinton Stephens on Instagram over the wknd.
Chuck Mitchell just tweeted a pic of him & BG with "I believe"

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Amazingly with a decent group of players back next yr,he MIGHT look ok except that by '17 we will back to 3-15 because he CAN'T recruit.Bsad for long term

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
These two
Here's something I wrote elsewhere. The AJC is claiming they've reviewed the contract via Freedom of Information Act. The Sports Compensation article links to an AJC article that no longer exists. Now, I'm not saying the AJC is such a reliable source, but if anyone is going to have gone about it in a journalistic, fact-based matter, it'll be them. Signs point to MBob putting us $800M-$1MM further in the hole, based on public sources. The rest of my comment about the donors taking a stand against such a stupid move is purely my speculation.

Assuming the AJC is correct (and that's a big assumption on my part), the $2.4MM buyout was a colossal mistake by Bobinski having only himself to blame. I understood & agreed with the rationale for the extension (recruiting impact, program stability), but the performance through that point did not garner BG the leverage to demand a reset of the buyout percentages.
Per the article below, had the buyout percentages just been continued, we'd be looking at a buyout of about $1.5MM-$1.6MM, a much easier pill to swallow and convince donors to pony up for compared to $2.4MM
http://sportscompensation.com/former-dayton-coach-brian-gregory-hired-by-georgia-tech/
Per the AJC article below, it would appear that Bobinski agreed to restart the buyout percentages, resulting in the aforementioned buyout amount. I recognize that we had seen some progress and hindsight is 20/20 on the past two seasons' performance, but there just doesn't seem to be a business rationale to agree to resetting the buyout until you've seen even more improved performance, in which case you're giving him a much better, much deserved extension anyway.
I guess the bottom line is that Bobinski managed to Braine the situation and has now potentially dug an even deeper hole for Georgia Tech hoops that may take another 3-5 years to climb out of.
These two links indicate that the buyout increased from a 1.0 million to 2.4 million due to the extension.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
All it takes is two good "basketball" players in today's game to make a difference. The rest can be pieces and parts. Or you could recruit 3 shooters and fill in around them. In other sports you need a lot of good players to get better, but not basketball.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck

Fair enough, I see what you mean.

So, if there was no extension, we would have about a $1 million buyout (50% of Year 5 and 50% of Year 6 with the original 6-year-contract) right now instead of $2.4 million buyout.

First of all, I was surprised by the extension at the time (and posted such on ST) based on Gregory's performance.

My guess is that Bobinski intended to keep Gregory until 2016 after bringing in 3 4-star players in 2012 to see the results. Not sure if that's a good decision or not, but that's probably the reason for the extension at the time.

However, the terms of the extension look bad considering the original contract's buyout terms and Gregory's initial performance. The extension should have been along the lines of 50% buyout for the last two years, if not even lower than that. Not 75% and 50%.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Things went south between the extention and now. At that time, everything was looking up. Yes, the results weren't there yet, but we were moving in the right direction. The only reason this looks so bad is because RC transferred and this team became a dumpster fire.

I'm no apologist, so don't jump on me. However, if Jorgeson doesn't trash his knee, Solomon isn't mental and Robert Carter doesn't transfer, this is a whole different season. We don't have Cox or Heath, but we have two 2nd year PG's and a guy who can score in the paint. I don't know if we're better, but if I had to bet, I'd say we'd have a post-season this year.

So, to look back and berrate MBob for the extension deal isn't exactly fair. Maybe it wasn't the most fiscally responsible thing to do, but I see the logic. Unfortunately, it's the same logic Braine used with Hewitt. We were coming off a MNC game appearance and it looked like we had a giant-killer. I remember everyone thinking we needed to lock Hewitt up for life. That contact was supposed to convince him to stay here forever. It wasn't sound business, but I follow the logic. Just saying, it's easy to look back...

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
Things went south between the extention and now. At that time, everything was looking up. Yes, the results weren't there yet, but we were moving in the right direction. The only reason this looks so bad is because RC transferred and this team became a dumpster fire.

I'm no apologist, so don't jump on me. However, if Jorgeson doesn't trash his knee, Solomon isn't mental and Robert Carter doesn't transfer, this is a whole different season. We don't have Cox or Heath, but we have two 2nd year PG's and a guy who can score in the paint. I don't know if we're better, but if I had to bet, I'd say we'd have a post-season this year.

So, to look back and berrate MBob for the extension deal isn't exactly fair. Maybe it wasn't the most fiscally responsible thing to do, but I see the logic. Unfortunately, it's the same logic Braine used with Hewitt. We were coming off a MNC game appearance and it looked like we had a giant-killer. I remember everyone thinking we needed to lock Hewitt up for life. That contact was supposed to convince him to stay here forever. It wasn't sound business, but I follow the logic. Just saying, it's easy to look back...
I don't fault Bobinski for the 1-year-extension, just how much it upped the buyout. He should have negotiated a more reasonable buyout, or not extended. Like, the buyout he accomplished with CPJ.

Anyway, overall on Bobinski, he hasn't been here that long, and I would go with mixed results for now. Let's see how he solves this mess...

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Fair enough, I see what you mean.

So, if there was no extension, we would have about a $1 million buyout (50% of Year 5 and 50% of Year 6 with the original 6-year-contract) right now instead of $2.4 million buyout.

First of all, I was surprised by the extension at the time (and posted such on ST) based on Gregory's performance.

My guess is that Bobinski intended to keep Gregory until 2016 after bringing in 3 4-star players in 2012 to see the results. Not sure if that's a good decision or not, but that's probably the reason for the extension at the time.

However, the terms of the extension look bad considering the original contract's buyout terms and Gregory's initial performance. The extension should have been along the lines of 50% buyout for the last two years, if not even lower than that. Not 75% and 50%.
You nailed it. I wasn't against the extension then and still believe it was an appropriate move at the time, but you maintain the existing buyout structure and you add the extended year at the 50% level.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't fault Bobinski for the 1-year-extension, just how much it upped the buyout. He should have negotiated a more reasonable buyout, or not extended. Like, the buyout he accomplished with CPJ.

Anyway, overall on Bobinski, he hasn't been here that long, and I would go with mixed results for now. Let's see how he solves this mess...
my comments were more general, not directed at your post. It just happened to follow your post.

I agree, the extention made sense, the renegotiation, not so much. At this point, I'd tell Gregory "we can extend your contract as much as you want for recruiting, but the guaranteed money only lasts as long as what we have in place now. Your current performance is not acceptable, and if it doesn't improve next year, you'll be terminated. As long as you're making solid progress in terms of 'building the team' AND 'wins and losses' you'll have a job. Stumble and you'll be replaced. If you don't like these conditions, you're free to resign your position."

MidtownJacket

Staff member
You nailed it. I wasn't against the extension then and still believe it was an appropriate move at the time, but you maintain the existing buyout structure and you add the extended year at the 50% level.
Isn't it entirely possible that the agent negotiating for CBG just said that was a nonstarter? I mean both parties (GT and CBG) operate in a fashion to maximize their gain.