Why So Much Angst 2017 Version

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
There are always a dozen things or more that can go wrong for us...or them. Despite the fears, I am more optimistic this year than at least the last 5 years and I plan on staying that way as long as possible. A bad year would therefore probably hurt more, but there is no need to suffer now for what theoretically may happen later.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I mean Clemson lost to Pitt and went into OT NC State. We should've did more, but Natty is not far fetched. Would've been nice to had the CFP then

Sure, I wanted the CFP as long as I could remember. But I don't think we make it that year. Highest we made it in the BCS was 7th at 10-1, and two weeks later there were still 5 undefeated teams. I don't see how beating unranked Georgia would have pushed us up into the top 4...we still probably land in the Orange Bowl.

We looked so bad in the Orange Bowl, but I think there was just a huge difference up front. Iowa smothered us on the LOS. We had 155 yards of total offense in that game...

upload_2017-8-7_14-4-26.png

upload_2017-8-7_14-6-44.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-7_14-6-41.png
    upload_2017-8-7_14-6-41.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 9

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It was our 3rd game in 12 days. It was Miami's 1st game 12 days. And, it was in Miami. Re-watch that game and tell me which team has dead legs. We had a similar experience @ UVA , I think it was 2011, where we had played 6 straight and they had a bye the week before.

Ehh...I'm just not buying that excuse. An extra five days off for Miami shouldn't be the difference between us winning and getting blown out.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Ehh...I'm just not buying that excuse. An extra five days off for Miami shouldn't be the difference between us winning and getting blown out.
And an extra game. It was our 3rd game in that time span and their 2nd. And we travelled. Also, all of this is coming off preseason practice.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I'm off topic here anyways. I'm optimistic about this season, but the middle of the schedule is tough. I think if we get by Tennessee we can reasonably get to 3-0. After that there's a brutal five game stretch. Wake is a little iffy to include in "brutal" but there were alright last year.

The great thing here is that there's a bunch of rest right in the middle of that block on either side of the Miami game.

I'm not in the camp that is upset with this year's schedule. It's hard, but I don't think there's a lot of stuff that appears unfair or anything like that.

upload_2017-8-7_14-25-9.png

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm off topic here anyways. I'm optimistic about this season, but the middle of the schedule is tough. I think if we get by Tennessee we can reasonably get to 3-0. After that there's a brutal five game stretch. Wake is a little iffy to include in "brutal" but there were alright last year.

The great thing here is that there's a bunch of rest right in the middle of that block on either side of the Miami game.

I'm not in the camp that is upset with this year's schedule. It's hard, but I don't think there's a lot of stuff that appears unfair or anything like that.

View attachment 2657
Miami thru Clemson are against teams coming off byes.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Miami thru Clemson are against teams coming off byes.

We have a BYE before Miami too, so that's fair to me.

Wake...yeah that sucks. But if that ends up being the difference then we aren't as good as I thought anyways.

Clemson...yeah that sucks. Maybe we can pull some magic out against those guys again like we used to...but maybe not. They're really good either way, so even without a BYE this would be a tough one to log as a W.

But let's say we made it to 7-0 somehow at Clemson and dropped that one...then we're sitting at 7-1 with four to go. I'd take that scenario. If we went 11-1 we 'd almost certainly be in the ACCCG with a rematch against Clemson or a matchup with FSU...and the winner would probably go to the CFP.

Undefeated is a nice goal, but it's not really necessary anymore. Win the division...win the conference...see what happens.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
One of the most bitter defeats in my decades of Tech losses. That was the night CPJ lost his ever-loving mind. Running game was working, throws three deep, low percentage passes, and then checks down on fourth and long and Thomas choked it. After 2008, we immediately reverted back to "little brother" status.

We lost this game because our D couldn't stop the mutts rushing attack....at all. 2009 UGA and 2016 UNC were two D performances I wish I hadn't seen.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
We lost this game because our D couldn't stop the mutts rushing attack....at all. 2009 UGA and 2016 UNC were two D performances I wish I hadn't seen.
I can (unfortunately) recall a game against Miami in there somewhere (2012? 2013?) that was painful to watch. As I recall, they averaged >10 yards per play over the entire game...