Why So Much Angst 2017 Version

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Jump to 13:45 in the 3rd.

I don't understand your reasoning here. You seem to be saying that having a big-play stud WR is necessary to win, but you posted a play from a game that was lost. He obviously couldn't win that game by himself.

Also, that year the team had: Morgan, Burnett, Butler, and Dwyer. Would it have been a special year without them? Would it have been special without Nesbitt, or Jones?

Thomas was a special player at GT. He is a special player in the NFL. However, it is too simple to attribute all of a season's success on one player or one position. Football is a team sport. I believe that is especially important with GT's offense. The offense depends on everyone doing their job. I think a super player at any of the skill positions can help GT have a special year as long as everyone else does their job, and the super player does his job when he doesn't have the ball.

jacobchbe

Jolly Good Fellow
That 09 team should've competed for the national championship. Biggest disappointment in GT history. That video should be banned from this site.

King2b

Jolly Good Fellow
Jump to 13:45 in the 3rd.

Why didn't you warn me to stop after that play? I had to watch a one play 75 touchdown by our defense to give those points right back. Ugh. Unfortunately that defensive stand after scoring points on offense sums up my confidence in our defense.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
What is Chimedza ( dl) school?
Does he not meet your standard? Film sure Looks good to me. In the one one one drill he was fast and low.
I thought it said img was his school.

How bout lb Justice dingle? Is he not at least worth some prompts?
Yes, he does go to IMG. I thought you were saying we got an extra guy from there because you said be sure to check the 2018 recruiting thread. I just took that as go check because someone else has committed. TK has really good hands and is explosive. Dingle has good size, and is a good tackler. Both could use some work, as almost every high school kid could.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
That 09 team should've competed for the national championship. Biggest disappointment in GT history. That video should be banned from this site.

It's amazing how selective a some memories are. That team was very good, but I wouldn't say it should have competed for a national title. We were basically steam rolled by Miami and had to go to OT to beat Wake Forest. Then the Orange Bowl exposed some problems we had on the LOS.

Great team, but I don't think it's fair to discount their success the way you did by calling it a disappointment. The only real disappointment to me was losing to Georgia the way we did, but other than that I think that team was a great success.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
It's amazing how selective a some memories are. That team was very good, but I wouldn't say it should have competed for a national title. We were basically steam rolled by Miami and had to go to OT to beat Wake Forest. Then the Orange Bowl exposed some problems we had on the LOS.

Great team, but I don't think it's fair to discount their success the way you did by calling it a disappointment. The only real disappointment to me was losing to Georgia the way we did, but other than that I think that team was a great success.

I mean Clemson lost to Pitt and went into OT NC State. We should've did more, but Natty is not far fetched. Would've been nice to had the CFP then

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

Miami was a schedule loss that year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Yes, he does go to IMG. I thought you were saying we got an extra guy from there because you said be sure to check the 2018 recruiting thread. I just took that as go check because someone else has committed. TK has really good hands and is explosive. Dingle has good size, and is a good tackler. Both could use some work, as almost every high school kid could.

Have we ever had a recruit from Factory high school.
I thought this was first for gt so I was excited.

That's very true. I know that there is no guarantee that he comes in and performs well. I also know that it is completely different on national tv and in front of tens of thousands of screaming fans, but from what I have seen, I have total faith in him. I hope that he can come in, exceed expectations, and make me look good for hyping him up :).
Here's hoping that (a) we don't try a lot of field goals because we are scoring touchdowns, and (b) the ones we do attempt are short ones.

I agree with needing to see something from the D coaching to ease my angst, both at the top with Roof and the position coaches (aka Mike Pelton who I think has wasted some of our best talent like Freeman, JHD, and Kallon). When its third down on defense I pretty much always have a knot in my stomach because I know the other team is going to convert. I want the same feeling on defense as I have on offense where I have total confidence on a 3rd and 5. I don't want to turn this into another dump on Coach Roof thread, but watching replays from last year on YouTube vs. Duke and UVA was just sad. We don't have the NFL talent to compared to Clemson, Miami, UNC, UGA etc. and I get that, but we absolutely should not be getting out manned vs schools like Duke. That is not a talent issue. Roof gets dumped on a lot and I feel he is understaffed on that side of the ball (3 assistants while he has to coach LBs himself. The offense has 5 plus CPJ) and is forced to coach from the booth by CPJ while he prefers to be on the sideline, but the ACC is big time football and unfortunately for him results are all that matter. I think this is a contract year for Ted Roof due to the extension he signed after the OB season so hopefully he feels the pressure to perform and fixes some of our issues so that we can at least impose our will on the teams we out talent and hold our own against the big boys in the ACC so that the offense can win us the game.
I agree about the angst on defense. And it is the constant worry that every time the defense allows a third down conversion, our offense is losing another series of opportunities. We end up getting beaten at our own game, i.e., time of possession/ball control. Additionally our defense is not deep and so we are wearing down physically. Say, how's that oxygen thing working out for you?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
CPJ never kicks short field goals. If we're close, we just go for it!

And Bobby Dodd whose philosophy was field goals are for when you cannot get inside the 10 yard line. Of course CPJ has confidence in his O in a modern game where high scores are required to win most games while Dodd had confidence in his D and the game in his time was field position because of low scoring games.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I'm looking forward to the season with excitement and some tempered optimism as well. My biggest reasons for concern at this point are our pass rush, which has not been very good in a long, long time, and our inability to get the defense off the field on third downs — both of which are related. I don't know if it's the scheme or the Jimmies and Joes, but if those things improve dramatically, we should be pretty good.

Stray Dog THA GAWD

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe it's unrelated for some, but I know alot of fans that are taking a wait and see approach on all of the local teams after Superbowl 51. Some wounds run deep. I'm still optimistic though.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not sure I get this. We played them on a Thursday night, sure, but we had a full weeks rest as the previous week we had played Clemson on a Thursday night. Miami had the previous Saturday off, but it's not like we were playing on 5 days rest.
It was our 3rd game in 12 days. It was Miami's 1st game 12 days. And, it was in Miami. Re-watch that game and tell me which team has dead legs. We had a similar experience @ UVA , I think it was 2011, where we had played 6 straight and they had a bye the week before.