Why So Much Angst 2017 Version

I think it's mainly because of the quarterback situation, a lack of an explosive WR, along with the normal defensive concerns. We lost a 3 yr starter at qb and most of us, myself included, are thinking we can plug in MJ, TM, LJ, or JJ. I wish it were that simple but I'm a nervous wreck tbh. It's a bipolar situation for sure.
An explosive wide-out is nice, but not required in this system. Most frequently, we pass to a wide open receiver due to the playcalling and formations leading up to the pass play. Taking it to the house is a luxury, but the system works if our occasional pass moves the chains, and moves the defense out of a "stop the run" philosophy. Passing success leads to more running success, which inevitably leads to more passing success. Eight completions for 150 yards most likely is an indication that we won the game.

I went to Mill Creek so I got to see him a lot and he is the real deal. He would kick 60 yarders in warmups with room to spare. King also has nerves of steel. He nailed a kick to beat Peachtree Ridge in OT a couple of years ago. That kick gave Mill Creek its first undefeated season and first region title. He had a lot of pressure on him to make that kick. I hope this continues in college, but I believe in him and I think that he could surpass what Butker did.
Love what you said, but nerves of steel means one thing in high school, and a completely different thing with three seconds on the clock, down by two to Tennessee, on TV, lining up a game winner from 41 yards.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Love what you said, but nerves of steel means one thing in high school, and a completely different thing with three seconds on the clock, down by two to Tennessee, on TV, lining up a game winner from 41 yards.
That's very true. I know that there is no guarantee that he comes in and performs well. I also know that it is completely different on national tv and in front of tens of thousands of screaming fans, but from what I have seen, I have total faith in him. I hope that he can come in, exceed expectations, and make me look good for hyping him up :).

alagold

Helluva Engineer
With 6 Sr and 5 Jr starting on defense surely this is the year we play fast.

In 16 our third down (I have seen reported on this blog) defense was LAST IN NCAA. How about a dramatic improvement. Jerry has assured me and as jerry says
Go Jackets!

Ps a db coach says we should be good.

yep, the DEFs he has put out there range from fair to dreadful.The DEF vs unc last yr had to be maybe the worst performance since(or including MidTn ST).We had 600+ yds on Off and got beat by 28 pts! pleeze
He may not have great talent but he has EXPERIENCE now --he has got to use it well! near worst in US in 3rd efficiency is almost unbelievable , be a little creative,tough, pro-active, re-active, etc

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
My biggest concern....defensive coaching. At this point, I'm at a "show me" state with Roof. There's plenty of talent on D to field a respectable D (I'm not asking for Bama). No more of this "simplifying" horse poo in the middle of the season. Put the best 11 on the field and let the boys Give 'Em Hell.

I agree with needing to see something from the D coaching to ease my angst, both at the top with Roof and the position coaches (aka Mike Pelton who I think has wasted some of our best talent like Freeman, JHD, and Kallon). When its third down on defense I pretty much always have a knot in my stomach because I know the other team is going to convert. I want the same feeling on defense as I have on offense where I have total confidence on a 3rd and 5. I don't want to turn this into another dump on Coach Roof thread, but watching replays from last year on YouTube vs. Duke and UVA was just sad. We don't have the NFL talent to compared to Clemson, Miami, UNC, UGA etc. and I get that, but we absolutely should not be getting out manned vs schools like Duke. That is not a talent issue. Roof gets dumped on a lot and I feel he is understaffed on that side of the ball (3 assistants while he has to coach LBs himself. The offense has 5 plus CPJ) and is forced to coach from the booth by CPJ while he prefers to be on the sideline, but the ACC is big time football and unfortunately for him results are all that matter. I think this is a contract year for Ted Roof due to the extension he signed after the OB season so hopefully he feels the pressure to perform and fixes some of our issues so that we can at least impose our will on the teams we out talent and hold our own against the big boys in the ACC so that the offense can win us the game.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Betting on roof is a losing proposition. He is due to accidentally walk into one decent defensive year though. But he isnt capable of doing that consistently. Its simply his scheme. Lets hope this year is that one out of 8-9 years he fields a top 35 or top 40 D.

On O we will be fine. Still this can be a 9 win team with the right things hitting for us.

Gotta love these kinds of posts. It allows you to still bash CTR even if he shows defensive improvement.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

He'll make it as long as it isn't on the right hash. I don't know that I'll ever be able to watch another right hash close in kick without thinking of ........

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
fe358f3.gif

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I think it's mainly because of the quarterback situation, a lack of an explosive WR, along with the normal defensive concerns. We lost a 3 yr starter at qb and most of us, myself included, are thinking we can plug in MJ, TM, LJ, or JJ. I wish it were that simple but I'm a nervous wreck tbh. It's a bipolar situation for sure.

Have to disagree on the explosive WR. They may not be burners but they make explosive plays (20+yds) and catches.

This replacement is different than what we did in 2015. MJ and TQ have actually game experience and game confidence. IMO, this transition should be smooth.

As for the defense, Ima take the UGA approach and say this year is our year.

Milwaukee

Banned
An explosive wide-out is nice, but not required in this system. Most frequently, we pass to a wide open receiver due to the playcalling and formations leading up to the pass play. Taking it to the house is a luxury, but the system works if our occasional pass moves the chains, and moves the defense out of a "stop the run" philosophy. Passing success leads to more running success, which inevitably leads to more passing success. Eight completions for 150 yards most likely is an indication that we won the game.

Jump to 13:45 in the 3rd.

Milwaukee

Banned
Have to disagree on the explosive WR. They may not be burners but they make explosive plays (20+yds) and catches.

This replacement is different than what we did in 2015. MJ and TQ have actually game experience and game confidence. IMO, this transition should be smooth.

As for the defense, Ima take the UGA approach and say this year is our year.

See post above. I agree it's not a necessity, but it's what separates good seasons from great seasons imo. Re: Bebe & Smelter

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
See post above. I agree it's not a necessity, but it's what separates good seasons from great seasons imo. Re: Bebe & Smelter
I agree it can make a huge difference, but I wouldn't say it separates good from great seasons. I'm super excited to see Dolphus and Camp though.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Be sure to check out 2018 recruiting thread. We are adding some serious talent on defense. Roof is getting better talent IMG=OMG

If we have a good defense this year more talent will come.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Be sure to check out 2018 recruiting thread. We are adding some serious talent on defense. Roof is getting better talent IMG=OMG

If we have a good defense this year more talent will come.
Don't do that to me, by your comment I thought we had a new commitment from IMG. I went and checked so fast lol.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I just realized we had 6 guys sign with us this year that were ranked in the top 559 players in the country and all were on D. That's pretty good for GT!!!! Hopefully we are turning the corner on that side of the ball. We also have 3 top 469 players in the country this recruiting cycle and all are on D.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Don't do that to me, by your comment I thought we had a new commitment from IMG. I went and checked so fast lol.

What is Chimedza ( dl) school?
Does he not meet your standard? Film sure Looks good to me. In the one one one drill he was fast and low.
I thought it said img was his school.

How bout lb Justice dingle? Is he not at least worth some prompts?