Why Georgia Tech Football Will Rebound in 2016

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
Just one nitpick ... I think many would say some of our key injuries were before the season even started - top 2 BBacks from Spring, starting AB from spring and then another starting AB early in the ND game.

to add, UNC we may have folded but our defense was not the same without Gotsis in. We still should have won that game, but that was a deflating call especially against a running quarterback that we always struggle with. We also lost Andrews in the offseason which can't be overstated. He was a devastating blocker and good runner.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Last year, we had tons of experience and talent on Defense and the OL coming back. Didn't matter. In college football, Momentum will often decide. I just keep coming back to the close losses. Duke and UNC right after ND could have easily gone in the win column. That would have righted the ship, and that was also when the injuries had started to pile up. Win both of those, and I think we would have been an 8 win team. Win one, and we probably go bowling.

Did we add enough practice, depth, and conditioning in the off season to get that one more stop or one more score that would have put say 4 or 5 of those one score losses in the win column? I think Johnson's demeanor this preseason indicates he thinks the players have put in the work. Will we get one more turnover or have one less turnover in a game? I think that would have meant 4 to 5 more wins last year. Thomas had never even practiced with Skov, Marshall, MLD, Stewart, and some others in the skill positions until August of last year. Familiarity there should reduce turnovers.

In 2014, if we lose to GSU, that team would have probably been 7-5 at best. Instead, the confidence and momentum built week by week. GSU was the pivot. I think UNC was the pivotal game last year, and we lost it. Just looking at the schedule, Miami or Pitt would seem to be in about the right place to determine what type season we have.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Just one nitpick ... I think many would say some of our key injuries were before the season even started - top 2 BBacks from Spring, starting AB from spring and then another starting AB early in the ND game.

Ok. I agree its a nitpick as u know when its in spring thats a long time for team to recover. Secondly. Patrick skov was kinda the bb. He was there....AB; snoddy was healthy begining season. He was top two right? I know searcy went down at nd

My point is, we were not much more than a 6 win maybe 7 without injuries....

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'd say we were a 6-7 win team if most of the breaks had gone our way. Teams have to make their breaks too...I do acknowledge that. But no injuries and getting most of the breaks...9 possibly.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think the total disdain by the dc s for our passing let them overload the box , be aggressive funneling and play to the pitch where there superior atheletes met us at sideline. . This created lots down and distance we were not comfortable with = bad breaks.

Should be a lot better this year. Just one or two long td pass plays please

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think the total disdain by the dc s for our passing let them overload the box , be aggressive funneling and play to the pitch where there superior atheletes met us at sideline. . This created lots down and distance we were not comfortable with = bad breaks.

Should be a lot better this year. Just one or two long td pass plays please
I have no disdain for our passing. :eek:

99jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree with everything last year about injuries and the schedule. I would also throw in on top of that the inexperience at the skill positions was a killer too. The one thing I worry about most is team chemistry. It can be so fickle and so hard to predict. By the end of last season it was clear that last year's team had major chemistry issues. I hope that all this young talent we have has learned how even the smallest chemistry issues can fester under the surface and dampen performance.

Jacket4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
It will come down to Miami and GT in the coastal IMO. Miami has a senior QB and a ton of speed on offense and defense. We have a senior QB with an improved offensive line and healthy RB's. I am not a fan of CMR but he is a step up from what they have had in recent years. I don't think VPI is there yet on offense.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I've rewatched last years games vs CU and ND this past week. The ND game angered me because of the bad no-calls on PI both offensive and defensive against ND that directly led to two scores for them and minus one for us. CU just whooped us. Regardless, what stood out to me was that CPJ talked a lot about us just not running the right plays and making too many assignment errors.

If we do us better this year, it will be interesting to see how much more competitive we can become.

I can honestly say I don't have GT glasses on I'm not even saying we are the top over Miami or the Heels. However I believe we can get back on track on offense which gives us a chance. VT has a new coach and that's my main reason for not having them in the top 3.
When we got a new coach, we won more games than we had in several years and beat a Georgia team that was preseason #1. Some times the new coach thing is a catalyst.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
When we got a new coach, we won more games than we had in several years and beat a Georgia team that was preseason #1. Some times the new coach thing is a catalyst.

So I love CPJ, but this is not entirely accurate.

2006 - 9-5, lost ugliest ACCCG ever to Wake Forest under CCG
2008 - 9-4 under CPJ

However, I do generally agree with your post.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I'm done thinking about last year. It's "game on" for me right now.
gt koolaid.jpg