Why does ESPN/media dislike Ga Tech football?

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
"Tech's offense doesn't do well against good defenses"

What offense does do well against good defenses? Isn't that what makes a defense a good defense?

"They need to throw the ball to win"

We average over 30 points a game and most of that comes on the ground

"Their opponents play better against them when they have an extra week to prepare"

Again... isn't that the case with literally every football team?

What are some other myths you can think of? There are so many

thwuga

Georgia Tech Fan

This said another way would be that we need passing to be a legit threat. Which I agree with. With pssing being a legit threat we are far more successful.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
I truly don't understand the bias against our offense, i am trying to watch the lsu-bama game and maybe it's the quality of defense being played but i swear these are the most predictable and boring offenses imaginable
I was talking to two ugag fans last night, that happened to attend Tech a few years back. I didn't give them too much hell about being dawgs because they grew up in the cesspool, but we did discuss our teams. They said our O was so boring to watch. I basically told them to F off and get ready. PJ's coming and Hells coming with him.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Back to the OP...
Because most of the talking heads don't really do good research to know what they're talking about. They just regurgitate stool that others have passed because they are to lazy to think. Makes me want to scream every time they comment that the O isn't designed to handle 3rd an long. (What team is???)
If they did just a bit of homework, by coming to this site and reviewing the stats that this site puts up (both the good stats and the bad stats) they would come to understand why we are one of the best in the country in 3rd down conversions, and it is not just 3rd and short that gets us these conversions. All media should spend one hour on this site before each game and they would be sooooooooo much better prepared.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
If they did just a bit of homework, by coming to this site and reviewing the stats that this site puts up (both the good stats and the bad stats) they would come to understand why we are one of the best in the country in 3rd down conversions, and it is not just 3rd and short that gets us these conversions. All media should spend one hour on this site before each game and they would be sooooooooo much better prepared.

That would actually require then to expend a wee bit of effort ;)

I was talking to two ugag fans last night, that happened to attend Tech a few years back. I didn't give them too much hell about being dawgs because they grew up in the cesspool, but we did discuss our teams. They said our O was so boring to watch. I basically told them to F off and get ready. PJ's coming and Hells coming with him.
I don't see how anybody could possibly say that our offense is boring. I think it's far more exciting to watch than what most other schools run, including Georgia

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

If these two idiots attended Tech, and are mutt fans......they better have flunked out or at least gotten a degree from UGA along the way too. Otherwise they need to be punched in the face.....and I volunteer for that pleasure. Just damn.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
You know, honestly I set up my receiver to play the FM radio instead of the TV audio. I hear the play finish right when it's about to start on TV which was annoying at first, but it actually lets me see a lot better what's happening on the field.

I did this not so much because I hate the stupid on the TV (I do) but because I was missing so much of what was going on by not listening to the home announcers.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we are overly sensitive to it.

We need to be more like our coach and not give a flip what all the people who's butt we're kicking think about us.

I think PJ reads the stuff - and while he doesn't let it affect him, he does love to crow about it when he proves people wrong (Heather Dinich).

Also, he made the best comment ever on the radio show a while back when someone asked him, "Coach, during the FSU game Bob Davie said our defense was so bad because they practiced against the triple option every day. Do you agree?"

PJ replied with, "That's why Bob Davie's in the booth announcing games and not coaching them anymore. Why would you want to listen to those guys, anyway? They all got fired from their jobs."

Well, since you wouldn't take the 12 seconds to look it up, here it is:
"...If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet."

The bolded text is the refence that the President was making. Hyper-critics like to point to the underlined text and pretend that a President would imply that a business owner deserves no credit for having built their business. It is dishonest to be so intentionally obtuse.
Since the original post made no mention whatsoever of either the president or any political party or philosophy, then perhaps you are being a little sensitive and definitely defensive here. The topic was how Johnson is belittled by the "football establishment" and the media. The fact that he made reference to something the president said (regardless of whether it was a direct quote) does not automatically imply that he was bringing politics into the discussion. YOU are the one who did that.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
Since the original post made no mention whatsoever of either the president or any political party or philosophy, then perhaps you are being a little sensitive and definitely defensive here. The topic was how Johnson is belittled by the "football establishment" and the media. The fact that he made reference to something the president said (regardless of whether it was a direct quote) does not automatically imply that he was bringing politics into the discussion. YOU are the one who did that.

Well, it appears that my original post has been deleted, which is a shame, because I think there are some relevant parallels that can be drawn between Johnson's treatment by the media and other coaches and the lessons that can be gleaned from "The Fountainhead."

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
You know, honestly I set up my receiver to play the FM radio instead of the TV audio. I hear the play finish right when it's about to start on TV which was annoying at first, but it actually lets me see a lot better what's happening on the field.

I did this not so much because I hate the stupid on the TV (I do) but because I was missing so much of what was going on by not listening to the home announcers.

@YJAlleyCat and I do much the same thing for away games. We listen to the GT Gameday audio via the internet, which runs about a minute behind real time. Since we have a DVR, we simply pause the TV at the moment of kickoff, and wait for Brandon to catch up. Much better than listening to the know-nothing TV broadcasters.

Still, you can sometimes tell from the context when the TV announcers are saying something stupid—for example, when they put up "3rd and long" graphics...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I watched the ESPN short recap of the game and all they could talk about was that freak play where Nealy picked of the ball off the foot of a teammate, ran down the field and got stripped. And then the pick six after that. No discussion of how dominant our offense was or how our D is surging at the right time. Nothing. Love you SECSPN.

Animal02

Banned
I watched the ESPN short recap of the game and all they could talk about was that freak play where Nealy picked of the ball off the foot of a teammate, ran down the field and got stripped. And then the pick six after that. No discussion of how dominant our offense was or how our D is surging at the right time. Nothing. Love you SECSPN.
And that was even the freakiest play of the day. The Oregon fumble recovery/TD took that award.......... and a lesson to every ball carrier to FINISH THE FRIKKIN PLAY.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

I suggest you use the official GT game day app to feed the audio to your stereo and then sync up your DVR with the audio. Works pretty well.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
That happens during and after recessions because employers force their employees to become more productive/work harder and longer for less pay. The workers are just happy to have a job. As the economy picks up there's no incentive for employers to increase wages and the added profits just go into their pockets instead of the workers.
Sad reality
Germany's Government had a sit down with their industry leaders and strongly encouraged them to boost their employee rages.. Which they did. Their economy is just as strong as ever.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I don't see how anybody could possibly say that our offense is boring. I think it's far more exciting to watch than what most other schools run, including Georgia
I disagree with you here. When UGA is clicking that's a fun O to watch. Gurley alone is fun to watch. They missing the QB dynamic this year tho.
I like the spread teams like Arizona, Oregon, Clemson, Auburn, & now MSU's O.
When Nick cuts the reigns and lets Simms do his thing even Kippens O is pretty fun to watch at Bama.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Back to the OP...
Because most of the talking heads don't really do good research to know what they're talking about. They just regurgitate stool that others have passed because they are to lazy to think. Makes me want to scream every time they comment that the O isn't designed to handle 3rd an long. (What team is???)

Does anyone know if any website tracks team rankings in 3rd and long?

Using CFBstats.com, it looks like they have those stats for each team, but not ranked, and broken out by running and passing situations. If I am reading the stats correctly, this year, Tech has the following stats:
3rd and 7-9 to go: 12 of 21 for 57% conversion (3 for 4 rushing & 9 of 17 passing)
3rd and 10+ to go: 11 of 29 for 38% conversion (4 for 6 rushing & 7 of 23 passing)
LINK

So, total in 3rd and 7+, we are at 46%. That would put us top 25 nationally in 3rd down conversion rate when compared to all third down attempts by other teams (meaning including their third and shorts as well)! If we take into account our 3rd and shorts, we have a total third down conversion rate on the season of just over 59%. That is pretty amazing. LINK

I am sure these numbers are the best we have ever had. I know we have been top 5 in 3rd down conversions since CPJ has been here, but I am not sure what our 3rd and long numbers have looked like in past seasons. Maybe someone else can do that math, or knows of a place where those rankings are done.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
"Tech's offense doesn't do well against good defenses"

What offense does do well against good defenses? Isn't that what makes a defense a good defense?

"Their opponents play better against them when they have an extra week to prepare"

Again... isn't that the case with literally every football team?

What are some other myths you can think of? There are so many

"They really don't want to be in 3rd and long"

What offense does? 3rd and 10 is a low % play for any offense, unless you're facing our defense :cry: