Why does ESPN/media dislike Ga Tech football?

worthco jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Maybe this thread has been run already? Excuse if so. Seems to me as though announcers routinely come across as biased against Tech and the offense we run. Comments are not openly hostile but certainly have negative overtones. The past two games I have watched on TV had announcers or color commentators who were alums of the schools we were playing - Pitt and NC State. Don't mean to be paranoid, but we are having a darn fine season and have already exceeded all expectations the media had for us starting the season. Yet this doesn't come through on broadcasts and it seems as though the announcers - especially on ESPN are uniformly pulling against us. Rant over. Am I the only one who hears it this way? If there is background to this I am unaware of, please explain.

Your observations are true. However, my reaction is to embrace the negativity and assume an "against the world " attitude. Sure, the media dislikes our offense. It is by definition "quirky" and does not lend itself to clever commentary about passing routes and the usual gibberish that serves to enlighten the masses to the superiority of "SEC speed". Good, the novelty of our offense and the antithesis of our players being true student athletes to the factory elites make it all the sweeter when we beat them. Just my humble opinion. FWIW.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
We'll get the ESPN bump in the rankings this week to get the hype machine going for the Clemson game. They would love to have us both ranked for their ratings

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think it's because our O doesn't fit the rap and the commentators are very afraid of what that portends.

Our QB is obviously the key to the O, but he isn't doing what other really good QBs do. We actually run up the middle a lot with backs that other programs have either avoided altogether or have turned into OGs in the backfield. We have a lot of smaller guys who get free to roam by design, but that most programs would have turned into WRs or DBs. And, in general, we are beating teams that have "out-recruited" us. There simply isn't an easy bat that they can use to explain what's going on. And that means that their jobs are in danger.

I just watched Moneyball again a couple of nights ago. Coach is doing the same thing in football and he and his ideas get dissed for the same reason that Billy Bean got dismissed by the baseball pundits. We need to learn to live with it until we show them. About 2016, I think.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Just win, baby! My question to Tech fans is this: Why do you need national recognition to enjoy a great season?

Anybody remember this song, it should be our anthem:

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Back to the OP...
Because most of the talking heads don't really do good research to know what they're talking about. They just regurgitate stool that others have passed because they are to lazy to think. Makes me want to scream every time they comment that the O isn't designed to handle 3rd an long. (What team is???)
lmDtuPR.jpg

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The average take home pay is the lowest in years. That is a fact.
That happens during and after recessions because employers force their employees to become more productive/work harder and longer for less pay. The workers are just happy to have a job. As the economy picks up there's no incentive for employers to increase wages and the added profits just go into their pockets instead of the workers.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
I think part of it is that the announcers do not really understand our offense.
Agreed, but I also hear a lot of compliments. For instance, the counter play with two pulling OL that was getting JT to the edge got some good props about play design. They talked a fair amount about scoring TDs on 40% of our possessions, too.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The funny thing to me is that we run the triple option a lot more now so calling our O the triple option isn't that far off from reality.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc

ESPN kudos this week:
Georgia Tech running back Synjyn Days. Days has continued to make the most of his opportunities, tallying a career-high rushing total for the third straight week since Zach Laskey went down with a shoulder injury. Days rushed 19 times Saturday for 157 yards and a touchdown, keying a 56-23 Georgia Tech win at NC State. Days has now rushed for 414 yards over the past three games.

Georgia Tech’s D finds ways to win:No one is confusing the Yellow Jackets’ defense for the Steel Curtain, but give Georgia Tech some credit for making big plays when it has to. It forced three NC State turnovers, returning two for scores in a 56-23 win over the Wolfpack. NC State was near the goal line with a chance to take the lead early in the second quarter when Jacoby Brissett was picked off. It was the first of three straight drives to end with a Tech takeaway, and a 14-13 deficit quickly turned into an easy win for the Jackets. So far this year, Georgia Tech has a plus-nine turnover margin and 101 points off turnovers.

They still hate us but figured I'd throw this in to balance things out a little

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
I truly don't understand the bias against our offense, i am trying to watch the lsu-bama game and maybe it's the quality of defense being played but i swear these are the most predictable and boring offenses imaginable

Agree completely. I got bored and kept switching to other games trying to find something more entertaining. It was worse than a bad NFL game.