Why does ESPN/media dislike Ga Tech football?

Wrecker

Georgia Tech Fan
Maybe this thread has been run already? Excuse if so. Seems to me as though announcers routinely come across as biased against Tech and the offense we run. Comments are not openly hostile but certainly have negative overtones. The past two games I have watched on TV had announcers or color commentators who were alums of the schools we were playing - Pitt and NC State. Don't mean to be paranoid, but we are having a darn fine season and have already exceeded all expectations the media had for us starting the season. Yet this doesn't come through on broadcasts and it seems as though the announcers - especially on ESPN are uniformly pulling against us. Rant over. Am I the only one who hears it this way? If there is background to this I am unaware of, please explain.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I think part of it is that the announcers do not really understand our offense.
Most ESPN announcers barely even understand football. The clueless chick on the sideline routine is really getting tiring. There are women that understand football and all of them can't be ugly hogs.

Thing that cracks me up the most is when they claim to have seen something that clearly didn't happen, then the replay shows it didn't happen and they keep telling everyone it did. It's like a politician telling you the economy doesn't suck when everyone knows damn well it does.

Dave.S

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe this thread has been run already? Excuse if so. Seems to me as though announcers routinely come across as biased against Tech and the offense we run. Comments are not openly hostile but certainly have negative overtones. The past two games I have watched on TV had announcers or color commentators who were alums of the schools we were playing - Pitt and NC State. Don't mean to be paranoid, but we are having a darn fine season and have already exceeded all expectations the media had for us starting the season. Yet this doesn't come through on broadcasts and it seems as though the announcers - especially on ESPN are uniformly pulling against us. Rant over. Am I the only one who hears it this way? If there is background to this I am unaware of, please explain.

Overreacting just a bit, FWIW neither of the announcers today went to NC State.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

I agree

Last edited by a moderator:

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
Most ESPN announcers barely even understand football. The clueless chick on the sideline routine is really getting tiring. There are women that understand football and all of them can't be ugly hogs.

Thing that cracks me up the most is when they claim to have seen something that clearly didn't happen, then the replay shows it didn't happen and they keep telling everyone it did. It's like a politician telling you the economy doesn't suck when everyone knows damn well it does.
You are as clueless as the sideline reporter. Have you seen the jobs reports, the stock market, or unemployment levels? Get your facts, then tell me why the economy sucks!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Well, I typically don't get worked up on this topic. I still think it's crazy that they showed a pitch to Days on a speed option as part of their discussion of the triple. Smh

Animal02

Banned
You are as clueless as the sideline reporter. Have you seen the jobs reports, the stock market, or unemployment levels? Get your facts, then tell me why the economy sucks!

Stock market has little to do with the economy and much to do with interest rates.
As for the unemployment rate......you need to look at the total number employed not the "rate" The rate is too easily manipulated.

Now back to football.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
While economics has been brought up, here is my theory as to why the sports media acts the way they do. They pump up the teams that have more fans. When those teams are good, more of their larger fanbase turn on tv sets and watch. When more eyes watch or listen (in the case of radio), sports media can command more in advertising dollars from sponsors. That's why the sports media insists on saying dumb crap like, "College football is just better when Notre Dame is good," or "baseball is just better when the Yankees are good", which is total crap. Notre Dame or the Yankees being good has no bearing on whether the sports of college football or pro baseball are actually played better. What they are really saying is, "Man, we make more money when those Notre Dame/Yankee fans are interested in their team." So Georgia Tech, with our smaller fanbase, being good is a fly in their ointment. They want the traditional powerhouses to be good so more casual fans will tune in and increase their revenues.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Back to the OP...
Because most of the talking heads don't really do good research to know what they're talking about. They just regurgitate stool that others have passed because they are to lazy to think. Makes me want to scream every time they comment that the O isn't designed to handle 3rd an long. (What team is???)