Why does ESPN/media dislike Ga Tech football?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone know if any website tracks team rankings in 3rd and long?

Using CFBstats.com, it looks like they have those stats for each team, but not ranked, and broken out by running and passing situations. If I am reading the stats correctly, this year, Tech has the following stats:
3rd and 7-9 to go: 12 of 21 for 57% conversion (3 for 4 rushing & 9 of 17 passing)
3rd and 10+ to go: 11 of 29 for 38% conversion (4 for 6 rushing & 7 of 23 passing)
LINK

So, total in 3rd and 7+, we are at 46%. That would put us top 25 nationally in 3rd down conversion rate when compared to all third down attempts by other teams (meaning including their third and shorts as well)! If we take into account our 3rd and shorts, we have a total third down conversion rate on the season of just over 59%. That is pretty amazing. LINK

I am sure these numbers are the best we have ever had. I know we have been top 5 in 3rd down conversions since CPJ has been here, but I am not sure what our 3rd and long numbers have looked like in past seasons. Maybe someone else can do that math, or knows of a place where those rankings are done.

I copied those stats into a spread sheet. We are #2 in 3rd &10+, #1 in 3rd &7+ (didn't look at 7-9 ytg independently)

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
@YJAlleyCat and I do much the same thing for away games. We listen to the GT Gameday audio via the internet, which runs about a minute behind real time. Since we have a DVR, we simply pause the TV at the moment of kickoff, and wait for Brandon to catch up. Much better than listening to the know-nothing TV broadcasters.

Still, you can sometimes tell from the context when the TV announcers are saying something stupid—for example, when they put up "3rd and long" graphics...
That's a neat idea. I think I'll try it once the novelty of having made my own FM antenna wears off.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I don't see how anybody could possibly say that our offense is boring. I think it's far more exciting to watch than what most other schools run, including Georgia
Agreed. I had this thought on Saturday night when I tried to watch LSU play Alabama. Short runs up the middle followed by incomplete passes all night. Luckily the Ohio St/Mich St game was on as well to add some actual action. I know some people love old school smash mouthed football where hardly anything ever happens but it bores me to tears. As good as teams like Alabama and UGA are, I would rather watch Oregon, Auburn, or GT play.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
Since the original post made no mention whatsoever of either the president or any political party or philosophy, then perhaps you are being a little sensitive and definitely defensive here. The topic was how Johnson is belittled by the "football establishment" and the media. The fact that he made reference to something the president said (regardless of whether it was a direct quote) does not automatically imply that he was bringing politics into the discussion. YOU are the one who did that.
Since the original post made no mention whatsoever of either the president or any political party or philosophy, then perhaps you are being a little sensitive and definitely defensive here. The topic was how Johnson is belittled by the "football establishment" and the media. The fact that he made reference to something the president said (regardless of whether it was a direct quote) does not automatically imply that he was bringing politics into the discussion. YOU are the one who did that.
You are probably right. My apologies for diverting the discussion.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, it appears that my original post has been deleted, which is a shame, because I think there are some relevant parallels that can be drawn between Johnson's treatment by the media and other coaches and the lessons that can be gleaned from "The Fountainhead."
I don't agree with Atomic on much, but he was spot on with his comment that's been deleted.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, it appears that my original post has been deleted, which is a shame, because I think there are some relevant parallels that can be drawn between Johnson's treatment by the media and other coaches and the lessons that can be gleaned from "The Fountainhead."

I have two thoughts here. Ayn Rand can seem bizarre if you don't realize she's not really talking about the United States but rather Soviet Europe. where it seems bizarre to Oz us to suggest that I'm more efficient techniquecould be ignored, we live in a world where Architects get more business when they can sell less expensive build ings. dynamics of professional esteem are more colored by the reaction to success then they are peoples innate reaction to a new idea.

that football behaves similarly to something in The Fountainhead says a lot about the extent to which college football actually values victory. I would argue that it is only possible for talking heads to maintain thAt Georgia Tech has a high school offense because there is no direct comparison and not enough on the field competition for victory to overpower the rationalization of people.

I suspect it would be much harder in a world like the NFL where teams actually play each other and there is a substance to the end of season tournament.

my second thought is that Georgia Tech ought to be used to this sort of thing. A while back I was listening to Erik Erikson talk on the radio about how unfair it was that his tax dollars subsidized Georgia's universities. I thought to myself how ironic here's a man who makes his money talking to a city that exists in no small part because of the way that Georgia Tech and southern poly transform the labor force. luckily we do not live in a society where the opinion of fools can outweigh accomplishment.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
There's only one problem with your analogy.

Ayn Rand is a colossal, unbelievable bore. Our O is, oth, a lot of fun to watch!

Btw, I wouldn't be too sure about the opinion of fools either, if I were you.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
There's only one problem with your analogy.

Ayn Rand is a colossal, unbelievable bore. Our O is, oth, a lot of fun to watch!

Btw, I wouldn't be too sure about the opinion of fools either, if I were you.

True that. She really, really needed an editor at the very least.

And the struggle with fools is why I THWG.

Animal02

Banned
my second thought is that Georgia Tech ought to be used to this sort of thing. A while back I was listening to Erik Erikson talk on the radio about how unfair it was that his tax dollars subsidized Georgia's universities. I thought to myself how ironic here's a man who makes his money talking to a city that exists in no small part because of the way that Georgia Tech and southern poly transform the labor force. luckily we do not live in a society where the opinion of fools can outweigh accomplishment.

To a degree, he has a point.....I take no argument with the fact that Tech etc can/has transformed the labor force......but so much of higher education spending has little to do with actually educating students. I can't speak for state of Georgia schools directly, but seeing what has transpired at where my wife teaches........more and more money is being pumped into unnecessary administrative pipe dreams because the tax dollars subsidize them.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I don't see how anybody could possibly say that our offense is boring. I think it's far more exciting to watch than what most other schools run, including Georgia

Let's see ... big plays in the passing game? Smelter against UVa, Waller against UNC, Deon Hill against UNC, eg. Check.
Big plays in the run game? Perk to open the GSU game, Days last week against NC State, Snoddy twice against Pitt, e.g. Check
Big plays not in the ordinary game plan? Smelter reverse against UNC. Check.

Yeah. Boring. Sure.

Media types can dismiss and belittle PJ and the offense all they want. But listen to other coaches. They respect the fool out of the guy and have for a long time.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
To a degree, he has a point.....I take no argument with the fact that Tech etc can/has transformed the labor force......but so much of higher education spending has little to do with actually educating students. I can't speak for state of Georgia schools directly, but seeing what has transpired at where my wife teaches........more and more money is being pumped into unnecessary administrative pipe dreams because the tax dollars subsidize them.
I thought Erik Erikson was an academic psychologist :p I definitely know nothing about talk radio. :) Seems like a lot of politically motivated/interested references or tangents and discussions as of late on a site usually really fantastic at sticking to thread-specific (and Tech-football) discussions.

I guess the recent fact of political elections has made a lot of posters on this site have it kind of on the brain. It may be making John's life more difficult during a big rivalry week before a Senior day game against Clemson at home for first time in 3 years!

Of course I have nothing to say to steer this thread back to its original topic so am doing nothing of value here myself . . . How about this?

You know what I want to see? I want Brandon Gaudin, Randy Waters, Roddy Jones, Sean Bedford, Stephen Hartzell, Al Ciraldo Jr., and the other technicians and producers whose names I can't recall from the current Tech broadcast team, plus Bobinski, Chris Yandle, Ryan Bamford, to challenge all the collected ESPN talking heads and stuffed shirts to a flag football match.

Tech can offer a list of demands as on the line such as: ESPN commentators never ever again phrasing 3rd and longs as something specifically desirous of being avoided by "this" offense; the BBack being called a BBack instead of a fullback and the offense being referred to as "spread option"; our games highlights getting Sportcenter or college football specific shows airtime when we are ranked; and hiring of an actual Tech legend as a sports commentator (such as John Salley) simultaneous with the firing of Tom Luginbill.

For Tech part they can put on the line . . . this is tougher . . . what would ESPN want from us? Someone help me out here. Maybe they just want CPJ gone from BCS football??? (I don't really think that but can't come up with anything good here).

Animal02

Banned
I thought Erik Erikson was an academic psychologist :p I definitely know nothing about talk radio. :) Seems like a lot of politically motivated/interested references or tangents and discussions as of late on a site usually really fantastic at sticking to thread-specific (and Tech-football) discussions.

I guess the recent fact of political elections has made a lot of posters on this site have it kind of on the brain. It may be making John's life more difficult during a big rivalry week before a Senior day game against Clemson at home for first time in 3 years!

Of course I have nothing to say to steer this thread back to its original topic so am doing nothing of value here myself . . . How about this?

Wasn't trying to be political so much......just damning of the "higher education system" My wife is a full professor at U of Mich.......so I see a whole different side to "higher education" and the crap that goes on. She fights for scraps of funding for courses / programs that would benefit tuition paying students......meanwhile the administration adds staff member after staff member. (administrative staff has increased something like 30% while teaching staff has dropped) The cut her summer classes because of "costs" (yet the classes were full with a wait list thus were self funding) because the have academics trying to play accountants......the list could go on......it is just frustrating............. now back to football.

I have posted before.....unless there is an organized effort by big time donors across multiple schools to push back at ESPN, they will continue to strong arm everyone with their dictates. They really are ruining college sports.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I have posted before.....unless there is an organized effort by big time donors across multiple schools to push back at ESPN, they will continue to strong arm everyone with their dictates. They really are ruining college sports.
I think the answer is to remove the "power of propaganda" the way other sports have done by arriving at a legitimate postseason structure to determine a seasonal champion. If schools fans and donors can have an impact on that then I hope they do. You have to reduce the power of the "critics" and "opinion-makers" to effect change. Kind of like how the internet and blogging in general undermines mainstream journalism's "power of propaganda."

swampsting

Helluva Engineer

You know what I want to see? I want Brandon Gaudin, Randy Waters, Roddy Jones, Sean Bedford, Stephen Hartzell, Al Ciraldo Jr., and the other technicians and producers whose names I can't recall from the current Tech broadcast team, plus Bobinski, Chris Yandle, Ryan Bamford, to challenge all the collected ESPN talking heads and stuffed shirts to a flag football match.

Tech can offer a list of demands as on the line such as: ESPN commentators never ever again phrasing 3rd and longs as something specifically desirous of being avoided by "this" offense; the BBack being called a BBack instead of a fullback and the offense being referred to as "spread option"; our games highlights getting Sportcenter or college football specific shows airtime when we are ranked; and hiring of an actual Tech legend as a sports commentator (such as John Salley) simultaneous with the firing of Tom Luginbill.

For Tech part they can put on the line . . . this is tougher . . . what would ESPN want from us? Someone help me out here. Maybe they just want CPJ gone from BCS football??? (I don't really think that but can't come up with anything good here).

Don't confuse Erick Erickson of talk radio and redstate.com with the Erik Erikson who wrote "Young Man Luther," a book I was assigned to read in college that was later debunked by academia. I didn't read it because I thought this will get debunked one day as claptrap.
And I was right.
Some day ... maybe ESPN's college football analysts will be exposed as the frauds I believe most of them to be.