Why do we stay with Russell Athletic?

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
WOW the new aididas contract sucks... Tech’s $200,000 cash allocation is near the bottom of power-five conference schools
Only 200K in money for a total of 1.2M over 6 years.... RA paid us 950K last year...
Going to have to overcome that loss with signing 5 stars or this is a mess. Maybe in 6 years we can move into a better deal!

Link
http://www.myajc.com/sports/college...agreement-with-adidas/hebjv2I3PIBh8K6b2QwVdJ/
Just looking at the cash value is very misleading. In terms of total compensation (gear included), the deal ranks 31st in the NCAA, which is a bit above our pecking order. Also note that a good chunk of that extra money from Russell went right back to vendors to purchase shoes and additional gear. In terms of net income, we probably won't bank quite as much money, but overall, we did about as good as we could be expected to do. It also contains a unique performance based modifier that allows for us to make more money based on athletic accomplishments. Plus, there's the added benefit of no longer ever having to wear Russell...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Just looking at the cash value is very misleading. In terms of total compensation (gear included), the deal ranks 31st in the NCAA, which is a bit above our pecking order. Also note that a good chunk of that extra money from Russell went right back to vendors to purchase shoes and additional gear. In terms of net income, we probably won't bank quite as much money, but overall, we did about as good as we could be expected to do. It also contains a unique performance based modifier that allows for us to make more money based on athletic accomplishments. Plus, there's the added benefit of no longer ever having to wear Russell...

All this.

Can't stop at the cash allocation. Must look/consider deeper than that.

slugboy

Staff member
From my viewpoint, I can't say whether Stansbury negotiated well or not, but my guess is that he did about as well as you could expect.
  1. We had a deal with good cash in it left, and there was no reason to give that back.
  2. Men's Basketball wasn't going to make much of a dent, since we hadn't made waves in the NCAA tournament in ages. A better time would have been 2003. I think there are mid-majors that might be selling more apparel than we are. It's getting better though. It's been ages since we were in the top 25
  3. Men's Football would have had more influence if we'd been in repeated bowls and top 25. We're not getting much pub or airtime right now. CPJ's second year would have been a better time.
  4. Since Stansbury couldn't get either of those times, or catch UA when they had more money, or Adidas before Louisville

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
I am not sure how this impacts us and our contract with Adidas, but it is a very interesting article.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article195564679.html
One of the perks of being an adidas school is that they offer their athletes custom printed shoes to perfectly fit their feet. Hopefully, one of the advantages that we will have over the other adidas schools is that their only robotically automated Speedfactory outside of Germany is being finished up off of Highway 92 in Cherokee County. One of the advancements of this new factory is that it can easily be switched over to make quick custom runs of products, which in theory will allow adidas to make us custom shoes on a whim and constantly keep us stocked with their latest footwear in our custom colors.
The process, driven by intelligent robotic technology, is designed to be as agile as possible, making footwear in a much faster process than traditional factories and allowing sneaker lines to be adjusted and crafted specifically for the needs of different groups of consumers. The whole process might take as little as a few hours; sneakers made in the traditional way could take up to 19 months from conception to finished footwear.
https://hypepotamus.com/news/adidas-speedfactory/

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Bought this today. Looks like Adidas does old gold well
406BE605-9CF6-45A0-BFB7-5A992B2E3AC0.jpeg