Why do we have so many B-Backs?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am not sure where I land on this. We simply HAVE TO ESTABLISH a dominating presence at BB. Having that much competition increases the chances it will happen. However, we need more depth in some other places too. It is a tough call.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Where is Travis Custis when you need him

West Georgia.

The guy didn't exactly light up Junior College and have every Power 5 program beating down his door like everyone expected. Good guy though, and he really did want the situation at GT to work out.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Don't know a lot about it, but appears to me that our offense beats up on our players more than some offenses, especially backs.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
West Georgia.

The guy didn't exactly light up Junior College and have every Power 5 program beating down his door like everyone expected. Good guy though, and he really did want the situation at GT to work out.
I was just goofing off, basically saying I wish we still had him. I personaly have known the Custis family for around 10 years, I played with his older brother. At Hutchinson he averaged almost right at 6 ypc and if I'm not mistaken he was the back up to the number 1 juco RB who went to auburn. At Glendale he averaged 6.6 ypc, I would say that's pretty good numbers. He had offers from Louisville, FSU , Oklahoma state, and more.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I was just goofing off, basically saying I wish we still had him. I personaly have known the Custis family for around 10 years, I played with his older brother. At Hutchinson he averaged almost right at 6 ypc and if I'm not mistaken he was the back up to the number 1 juco RB who went to auburn. At Glendale he averaged 6.6 ypc, I would say that's pretty good numbers. He had offers from Louisville, FSU , Oklahoma state, and more.

I think he would have done well in our system. Coaches were high on him before he had to leave.

Interesting he chose W GA over those schools though.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think he would have done well in our system. Coaches were high on him before he had to leave.

Interesting he chose W GA over those schools though.
I don't know 100%, but I'm pretty sure after he got in trouble his parents wanted him back close to home.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I like our depth at BB. I think we have too many AB's, if anything. I always feel like your best RB's should go to BB first and then trickle out to AB - with a few exceptions of course due to size/skills (like Godhigh). Just recruit good BB's, let the best ones win, and let the others play AB.

I think CJ, Marcus, Quaide, and Benson all bring some good things to the table. Gonna be some good things to talk about for a while, even into the season.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We have a lot of potential but we still don't know what they can actually produce. It looks wide open at both B back and A back. Hopefully some of the ones that wash out on offense can contribute on defense in the back 7.

Go Jackets!

FatPat

Jolly Good Fellow
All starts tomm. Coaches runs for 2 weeks-- should be hell after 3-9, then spring break--- then strap your head gear on tight!!!! Unlike that Michigan team we ain't going to Florida and play in the sun!!!!!

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
for me, whether true or not, my perception always seems to be too many RB on this team (both AB + BB) and not enough OL or DL folks....again, its my ongoing perception, whether true or not (FYI I am referring to recruited ship players not including walkons).

but 7 BB is def too many....
Seems an obvious conclusion doesn't it?...Yes it's harder to recruit quality OL/DL lineman but it's the corner stone of an effective offense / defense...per Bobby Ross...a sore point with me about CPJ...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Actually, your perception is not all wrong. Except then of course last year happened. And with no knowledge of the offense to speak of except what I see, it occurs to me that the load at Aback may have to do not only with the blocking they must do, but how far they have to run on every play to do the blocking. Even well-conditioned jocks can wear out.

I would argue the perception was exactly wrong. Last year we had 14 OL on scholarship. By way of comparison, Clemson, who had a pretty successful season, had 14 scholarship OL as well.

Milwaukee

Banned
I like our depth at BB. I think we have too many AB's, if anything. I always feel like your best RB's should go to BB first and then trickle out to AB - with a few exceptions of course due to size/skills (like Godhigh). Just recruit good BB's, let the best ones win, and let the others play AB.

I think CJ, Marcus, Quaide, and Benson all bring some good things to the table. Gonna be some good things to talk about for a while, even into the season.

But the ones that trickle out to Aback will give us maybe too much depth there?
Seems an obvious conclusion doesn't it?...Yes it's harder to recruit quality OL/DL lineman but it's the corner stone of an effective offense / defense...per Bobby Ross...a sore point with me about CPJ...

That is indeed the perception. But to be fair to PJ, we have no tightends and no fullbacks. Most teams carry 3 of each and then 4 running backs.

That being said, the numbers still seem to be too high. 6-7 b-backs and the same number of a-backs seems to be overkill; especially since, as someone eluded to earlier, some of these b-backs will transition into a-backs where there's already a plethora of numbers there.

How deep are we at DL compared to other schools? It seems like we would be coming up short somewhere, even after the TE and FB exception considering the scheme.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, CPJ said around signing day that we have gone over on RBs the last couple of years and under on, iirc, dl.

It's not the case, imo, that this has been the pattern.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I wonder how many of the Laskey critics would have loved to have had him last year.

Navy always seems to have a guy like Laskey and often I've wished GT would have one. Well, GT finally had one! I am sure opposing fans hated what Laskey did to their teams.

IMO Dwyer, a once in a generation back, unfairly set the standard. Laskey and Days were damn effective and are a more realistic standard.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Some of these BBs can play other positions as well. Mills and Lands-Davis could play D very easily. Mills was recruited as a LB by a lot of big programs.

That said I'd rather have too many DL than RB.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
But the ones that trickle out to Aback will give us maybe too much depth there?

That is indeed the perception. But to be fair to PJ, we have no tightends and no fullbacks. Most teams carry 3 of each and then 4 running backs.

That being said, the numbers still seem to be too high. 6-7 b-backs and the same number of a-backs seems to be overkill; especially since, as someone eluded to earlier, some of these b-backs will transition into a-backs where there's already a plethora of numbers there.

How deep are we at DL compared to other schools? It seems like we would be coming up short somewhere, even after the TE and FB exception considering the scheme.

Again, using Clemson as comparison, we are in line. Last year Clemson had 15 scholarship DL. We had 14.