Why do we have so many B-Backs?

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
While there is some merit to your concern, it's also something that is somewhat out of our control. CPJ has worked hard to balance the classes, but when you lose almost an entire class to unforeseen attrition, as happened to us a couple of years ago, then you have to make chicken salad out of you know what. Going forward, barring more catastrophic attrition rates within a single recruiting class coupled with unprecedented injuries, we should be better able to cope with the normal bumps and grinds of a season.
What happened?...I recall some guys were asked to leave... Commissioning? SP? And others?...forgot about them...sorry

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That's because the 2013 class et al blew up in us.

It seems people forget we signed some highly regarded DL that didn't cut it at Tech.
And this is why I'm for giving Ted the benefit of the doubt. We haven't had a solid DL since he's been DC and it's not his fault. His recruits have yet to mature into a starting role but it's coming.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
What happened?...I recall some guys were asked to leave... Commissioning? SP? And others?...forgot about them...sorry
Attrition happens in many ways. We had 3 DL's from the 2013 class leave the team and it really hurt our depth. Commissiong, Akins and Robbins. Incidentally, we had 3 other players leave or not make the team from that class, as well (Travis Custis, Donovan Wilson and Ty Griffin). That's 6 out of 14 for a 42% attrition rate.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Attrition happens in many ways. We had 3 DL's from the 2013 class leave the team and it really hurt our depth. Commissiong, Akins and Robbins. Incidentally, we had 3 other players leave or not make the team from that class, as well (Travis Custis, Donovan Wilson and Ty Griffin). That's 6 out of 14 for a 42% attrition rate.
Jhd could have left for greener pastures as well. Transition of dc was not handled in smooth manner.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think there are a few factors that determine effectiveness.

The opposition is one. How talented and/or experienced they are vs our scheme. Teams that have played us every year the last 7 yrs have the advantage of having players and coaches with experience against us. That is no small advantage, believe me.

Then there's the OL. A great OL can take a lot of pressure off the skill guys, even younger, less experienced ones.

Then there are the skill guys themselves. Hopefully every skill unit is not chock full of newbies.

Last yr was a perfect storm of newbies in every skill unit plus an underachieving OL. Not a recipe for success.
I agree with all of this. My observation is that for several years now our best running backs have been guys who have been around a while and learned how to play the position well. From Owens, to Godhigh, to Snoddy, to Zenon, to Perkins, to Laskey to Hunt-Days, the list goes on and on of players who did not hit their stride until late in their careers. The exceptions to this rule, it seems to me, are the backs who played at a time when other teams were still getting used to our offense. If my observation is correct I wonder what a realistic expectation is for players who are relatively new to the system. And I really wonder what kind of timetable CPJ has in his mind for a player developing into a fully effective back in his system.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Read your post = We lost 4 defensive line starters/key backups who walked off.
Did the departing dc say good things about gt or head coach? Did we replace back office people? Temporary Replacement dc who came up from ast coach did good job (played faster simpler defense beat usc when offense not strong) and was passed over. He is dc for fsu at triple pay. (The players who left could have been that bad -locker room sickness. ) The dc who got canned was allowed to stay to long (mtsu scores again).

Above is Old news.

New news
Coach has hands on things.
He will fix last year.

New dc has really improved defensive recruitment. We are getting larger players that don't need to gain 15 percent in weight or grow 2". Hopefully we can coach them up so we begin to see defense be strong.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree with all of this. My observation is that for several years now our best running backs have been guys who have been around a while and learned how to play the position well. From Owens, to Godhigh, to Snoddy, to Zenon, to Perkins, to Laskey to Hunt-Days, the list goes on and on of players who did not hit their stride until late in their careers. The exceptions to this rule, it seems to me, are the backs who played at a time when other teams were still getting used to our offense. If my observation is correct I wonder what a realistic expectation is for players who are relatively new to the system. And I really wonder what kind of timetable CPJ has in his mind for a player developing into a fully effective back in his system.
This part a lot of guys overlook.