Why blitz??

Milwaukee

Banned
I am well aware of what I said. The fact that they PLAYED better, doesn't mean that they are de facto better players. If our players played better, would you be so quick to say that they are not good players?

I'm confused. So they play better than us but they're not better than us?

It's been a long night, sorry to sound snippy. I'm gonna hit the hay.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
A lot of places to post our complaints about the defense, but I'll post mine here and add to what everyone else has said.

I am a complete amateur looking at what is wrong with our defense. I don't know much at all about defensive strategy and calls. But here is what i saw yesterday: two defensive calls-- 4-2-5 base and 4-2-5 middle blitz (a gap or b gap). That's it. No safety blitz, no corner blitz, no stunts, no d-linemen dropping back in short coverage, no different looks. Just base and middle blitz (which pretty much only came on 3rd down). Then, to top it off, when said middle blitz was coming...everybody in the stadium could see. We could all say, "Look, here comes the two linebackers up the middle." So, by the second half, the QB knew what coming and just rolled away from it. No effective blitz and no effective pass rush means no pressure on the QB which means he can pick and choose which receiver is open. Pitch, catch, first down. Rinse and repeat. Am I missing something?

I know this is pure speculation, but it looked like after CPJ's comments last week on how the defense needed to be more simple, Roof just snarkily said, "You want simple? You got it. Two calls. Let's see how simple works for you, coach."

Something is not right. ANYBODY with two eyes can see that. Now, the question is, what in the world are we going to do about it?

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I do believe so, but I'm not sure if he was originally recruited as an OL or not, for some reason I think he was.

"So apparently they play American football as far away as Australia -- who knew? I'll tell you exactly who knew: Paul Johnson, who in his time coaching at Hawaii (1987-1994, along with Mike Sewak) created a bond with one of his players, Paul Manera. Manera went on to coach an Australian "gridiron" team and, in 2011, recognize some true talent in one of his players, Adam Gotsis. He recommended Gotsis to Johnson as a potentially outrageous DT who would be great for the Georgia Tech gridiron football team. You getting all this? Better make sure, there's a quiz at the end."
http://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/2012/2/13/2787481/getting-to-know-our-new-recruits-dt-adam-gotsis

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The next few weeks are going to be telling about the direction of the program.

I think this hits the nail on the head.

You expect these things from time to time, but not nine years in to a program. Nine years in, we should have fixed fundraising, should have fixed recruiting, should have fixed coaching, etc.

What we are seeing is the result of an extremely poor Athletic Association that hasn't delivered. I'm glad MBob is gone, but our current state of a program is that we are not good.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
A lot of places to post our complaints about the defense, but I'll post mine here and add to what everyone else has said.

I am a complete amateur looking at what is wrong with our defense. I don't know much at all about defensive strategy and calls. But here is what i saw yesterday: two defensive calls-- 4-2-5 base and 4-2-5 middle blitz (a gap or b gap). That's it. No safety blitz, no corner blitz, no stunts, no d-linemen dropping back in short coverage, no different looks. Just base and middle blitz (which pretty much only came on 3rd down). Then, to top it off, when said middle blitz was coming...everybody in the stadium could see. We could all say, "Look, here comes the two linebackers up the middle." So, by the second half, the QB knew what coming and just rolled away from it. No effective blitz and no effective pass rush means no pressure on the QB which means he can pick and choose which receiver is open. Pitch, catch, first down. Rinse and repeat. Am I missing something?

I know this is pure speculation, but it looked like after CPJ's comments last week on how the defense needed to be more simple, Roof just snarkily said, "You want simple? You got it. Two calls. Let's see how simple works for you, coach."

Something is not right. ANYBODY with two eyes can see that. Now, the question is, what in the world are we going to do about it?

Duke was not simple
Before last 2 games blitzing was almost zero. Duke with 6- 5qb who could short pass to 3 tall tight ends and unc are really the two primarily passing teams we face. I assume our staff and players put in the more aggressive defense to get pressure on the qb .

Before the last two weeks do our players ever practice multiple aggressive techniques? not in spring and fall games.

I believe our players are pretty smart and can quickly learn what is effectively coached. We can't do a corner blitz where the de collapses the tackle and the corner hits qb in 3 seconds while safety jumps down for coverage? This is basic football!

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I am clueless about the D lineup strategy where we blitz both LBs side by side, from outside on the same side, and the DBs on the other side seem to be in man coverage chasing receivers while the RB runs around their end untouched for an easy score. Maybe our strategy was to stop the outside run if it comes toward our LBs, if they are so oblivious to what we are doing? (kind of like us in another game running into their unblocked LB lined up in the gap where were are running the most important play of the game).

There are some other strange things going on with our D, like our CB covering short zone apparently thinking the Safety has the deep outside and the Safety is planning to jump the inside short slant route and the result is a long walk in TD. The "we almost sacked him" and "we almost covered him" and "we almost tackled him" seem rather routine for our D but these other strange plays are new wrinkles.