Why blitz??

Milwaukee

Banned
This D is just bad and I don't believe for one second their talent level is this bad. At times I think roof plays "favorites" or uper classmen even if a true freshman is better. I'm so tired of watching this junk, it's honestly not even fun.

For those who say it's not scheme or coaching please explain to me what it is, and be detailed with examples. Don't just say because he's good and talk about how he's been a coach for a long time, that doesn't show how a coach is good.

I don't think anyone on the board has said Ted Roof is great. When I see the product we roll out each Saturday, I see bad defensive coaching combined with a talent deficiency that is quite embarrassing. Hell, the GaSouthern DLine had better players than we have. That's not a Roof problem. He has some serious problems, but that ain't one of them. I don't care about "well all of our defenders had P5 offers". Well guess what, the teams in our conference are getting better players than we are, period. There's the rub.

I'm worried about where this is going to lead, because Roof is going to be the one on the hook (fair or not, it's just part of the business), and PJ is going to have to answer some SERIOUS questions if another DC is canned. Does our defense struggle because they're not exposed as much to traditional offenses that we face each week? It's a question that someone is going to start asking. Is our great offense hindering the development of our D? It's a fair question.

I'm just worried where this whole can of worms can lead. I just wish we could bring in a bell ringer recruiter to land us a top class once every 4 or 5 years, I think it would make all the difference in the world.

The next few weeks are going to be telling about the direction of the program.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I just keep thinking about the old adage about if, given enough time and a typewriter, a monkey could completely reproduce Shakespeare's oeuvre every time our D takes the field. I keep thinking that eventually a player will beat his man or the opposing player will randomly fall down or have a seizure or something and we will get a sack or a turnover. I keep thinking this week after week, year after year like Charlie Brown expecting Lucy to keep her promise and hold the football for him to kick. I mean i saw a buddy of mine make a hole in one in only his 3rd round of golf ever. Am I crazy? Or stupid? Or both?

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I agree that attitude is a big deal. LSU's DC, now HC, has said that he's tried to get his players to buy into how good they are. That's been huge on their confidence and performance. In 2014, the offense believed they were going to score on every drive and it showed. Our defense this year is just defeated. They don't think they're good. So they go out and play tight and conservative and the resulting performance just confirms their fears. You need a DC who can change that confidence level.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Step Durham is the worst corner playing division 1 football

Last edited:

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Eli - didn't you know he had P5 offers?

fyi - Wake, Vandy, Indiana, Kentucky...those types of schools are P5 schools. So that whole "they had P5 offers" thing always makes me laugh.

Every team we play picks on him the entire game.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Step Durham is the worst corner playing division 1 football

this is just my opinion I'm sure but I really don't like calling out players individually. Especially here. There are other GT sites better suited for that, even though it's still not a good thing to do. It's like the whole Reggie Ball thing all over again.. He did the best he could. It was on the coaching staff at the time that he was our starting qb.

Milwaukee

Banned
Every team we play picks on him the entire game.

Yea, the whole defensive unit is struggling. We don't have beasts up front to even establish a scheme, and everything snowballs from there. Our corners aren't good enough to cover for 5 seconds, it's not their fault, they just aren't the cream of the crop. Our backers blitz into walls because our DL can't create gaps.

It's just not fun to watch our D this year.

Milwaukee

Banned
this is just my opinion I'm sure but I really don't like calling out players individually. Especially here. There are other GT sites better suited for that, even though it's still not a good thing to do. It's like the whole Reggie Ball thing all over again.. He did the best he could. It was on the coaching staff at the time that he was our starting qb.

I agree with this, and I've been guilty of this as well. I think Eli is just frustrated like we all are.

We're all frustrated, and we take it out on the players sometimes unfortunately. But this board is leaps and bounds better about that than the other Tech boards.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
To answer the question, because 4 aren't able to get there. But yes even a full out blitz isn't getting there. LB blitzes aren't, corner blitzes aren't, safety blitzes aren't.

We struggle covering playing with cushion. We struggle to cover when we play tight. And yes we have done this more the last couple games.

The much ballyhooed more blitzing and tighter coverage obvious fixes haven't worked.

Yes we are doing a poor job coaching and we lack talent / big play makers. Especially among upper classmen.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Our backers blitz into walls because our DL can't create gaps.

It's just not fun to watch our D this year.

I noticed on the replay when Freddie got hurt that their DL just cut block him. Did not try to engage Freddie.Just tried to cut him down. So when I was thinking about the lack of gaps to penetrate, why don't our DL become OL and cut block their man in an attempt to create lanes for blitzers? Perhaps it is stupid but so is 5 or 6 D guys so tightly bunched that there is little or no penetration. why not try something different?

BTW, did anyone else notice that? Am I correct? Do other teams employ this strategy against our Oline?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I noticed on the replay when Freddie got hurt that their DL just cut block him. Did not try to engage Freddie.Just tried to cut him down. So when I was thinking about the lack of gaps to penetrate, why don't our DL become OL and cut block their man in an attempt to create lanes for blitzers? Perhaps it is stupid but so is 5 or 6 D guys so tightly bunched that there is little or no penetration. why not try something different?

BTW, did anyone else notice that? Am I correct? Do other teams employ this strategy against our Oline?

It was dirty. He went for Freddy's knee and took him out. It's not what we do. It was not a football play.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
This is what's to be expected going against talent recruited to run the option. And a coach that could care less about that side of the ball.

Last edited:
How can you say this, when you have no clue if they would play better in a different scheme. You have to play to your players strengths and our scheme does not do this. I'm sorry but when you don't have big strong D line why in the world are you playing straight up with their O line instead of a gap style D? That makes no sense, it's not rocket science.
Well maybe because we've seen the 3-4 ran here (too complicated), ran 4-2-5 w/ Wommack (too soft, fired), now Roof is too soft to or not aggressive enough. Like I said give Roof 8 years to get his players in and them maybe you can complain. This is his 4th year at the helm of our defense. He controls the defense and personal like the OC does on his side of the ball. He should get the same chance. No? Talk about family turning on each other. Roof is family.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It was dirty. He went for Freddy's knee and took him out. It's not what we do. It was not a football play.

If this is a stupid question, then it is an honest one but...what differentiates what he did from a cut block? I ask this because I did not think it was a dirty play at the time of the replay. I thought it honesty was a novel approach to defending our offense. in the replay, it looked like the injury occurred from someone else falling on him, not the block itself. Am I wrong here?