Who you got? Parker Braun or Shaq Mason?

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I've said it since day 1, I wouldn't want to be in a fist fight against Parker Braun and I'd say the same for the other fellas in his lineage. You cant deny the fact, the Brauns have a pedigree in breeding big, tough offensive linemen and I'd take 5 of them any damn day of the week!!!

Milwaukee

Banned
Fwiw, I was still muttering, "Gilbert," with every false start through Trey's playing career.

Watched the entire 2009 ACC Title game Friday night start to finish via GTBob. Stayed in (yes I was being a loser on a Friday), and I was screaming at Gilbert a lot. So was PJ, a lot.

I recommend watching some of our old games. Gilbert stood out a lot in a bad way, and man o man Paul screwed that game up with clock management at the end to the point we should've/could've lost after we got SCREWED on the 2pt conversion reversal.

And @Ibeeballin, I don't wanna hear any more remarks coming from you about Brant Mitchell. Lol. Spiller made you look silly by breaking multiple tackles and flat out getting outside when you should've kept outside contain. I'm saying this jokingly, because he did this to EVERY single player on the field. My God I didn't remember what a performance he put on. He was their entire team and damn near beat us singlehandedly. Its kinda funny that he was that great but still never learned to change ball hands, but he didn't have to worry about it cause of his speed.

Milwaukee

Banned
In regards to the topic, maybe Trey stands out because of the team being underwhelming but I have to admit I notice Trey now in his Jr year and I didn't notice Shaq until 14. So I vote for Trey at this point in their career.

But Shaq is a million times better than Trey currently, if Trey can get there he's in for big money that an engineering degree from Tech can't come close to providing.

Shaq is the greatest OL to ever come out of Tech imo, I know that sounds weird cause I just said I didn't notice him until 14. But look at that 14 tape, that was UNREAL.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Watched the entire 2009 ACC Title game Friday night start to finish via GTBob. Stayed in (yes I was being a loser on a Friday), and I was screaming at Gilbert a lot. So was PJ, a lot.

I recommend watching some of our old games. Gilbert stood out a lot in a bad way, and man o man Paul screwed that game up with clock management at the end to the point we should've/could've lost after we got SCREWED on the 2pt conversion reversal.

And @Ibeeballin, I don't wanna hear any more remarks coming from you about Brant Mitchell. Lol. Spiller made you look silly by breaking multiple tackles and flat out getting outside when you should've kept outside contain. I'm saying this jokingly, because he did this to EVERY single player on the field. My God I didn't remember what a performance he put on. He was their entire team and damn near beat us singlehandedly. Its kinda funny that he was that great but still never learned to change ball hands, but he didn't have to worry about it cause of his speed.

I’ve covered and tackled fast guys, but no one compares to Spiller and Ford. I had a well read TFL on Ford and he just hit another gear

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I’ve covered and tackled fast guys, but no one compares to Spiller and Ford. I had a well read TFL on Ford and he just hit another gear

I was in Tampa for that game. People do not realize how fast 4.3 speed is in person until you see those guys move. They literally covered so much space in such a short amount of time it was "HOLY SH!T".

I can't even imagine trying to tackle them...I had a hard time just tracking them with my eyes from the stands (while chomping on a humongous turkey leg).

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
I was in Tampa for that game. People do not realize how fast 4.3 speed is in person until you see those guys move. They literally covered so much space in such a short amount of time it was "HOLY SH!T".

I can't even imagine trying to tackle them...I had a hard time just tracking them with my eyes from the stands (while chomping on a humongous turkey leg).

Yeah, they were fast. We won the game, and MVP was Spiller.

I was in the stands watching Michael Vick during a preseason game during his rookie year with the Falcons. He was breathtakingly fast. Being able to run away from NFL dbs is impressive.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Half way thru their junior seasons, who's best? I thought Mason was probably the best Tech OL I had seen at the end of 2014 when he was a senior. At the middle of 2013, he was damn good. Right now though, I would give the Junior season edge to Braun. Can he get to the level Mason did his senior season?

I know they are both offensive linemen. I understand that they both play (ed) the same position. But comparing them is not really fair. They are apples to oranges in my view. Parker is quick, very strong, and is devastating on pulling. Shaq was a road grader more comparable, in my admittedly amateurish estimation, to Connor Hannsen. Rumble, rumble, hear that? That is the diesel road grader warming up like Connor and Shaq. Straight ahead blocking, knocking that line of scrimmage two or three yards back to give the Bback room to cut and run. Shaq was a good, similar to Connor, 20 lbs or so heavier than Parker. Just different animals altogether. Both very good at what they do.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
OH FFS! Played on one of the top OL in GT history. Orange Bowl Champ. Beat UGA...Beat FSU...grad with MBA and BSME...a huge reason Parker is even at GT but yeah he jumped off sides...

No reason to answer this. We will take a dozen more Trey Brauns in a heart beat. Good player, but more importantly a good student, good citizen, and exemplary model of what a Georgia Tech student athlete should be all about.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we appreciated Shaq as much when he was here. But his subsequent success in the league, coupled with our relative nosedive after his departure, made many of us focus on the OL and how critical they are. Thus, we have scrutinized the O line much closure, waiting for the next Shaq. Braun might possibly be a factor at the next level like SM is, but I would take 5 of him every single year and go to war. And win a bunch of games. I also think PB may get more notoriety because he is a great interview subject.SM was a very low key type of personality.

You ever notice how the offensive linemen get yelled at the most when the offense comes off the field by Coach Johnson? Must be a tough way to earn a scholarship. This offense is absolutely dependent upon good offensive line play. Some teams can minimize offensive line deficiencies one way or another but not in our offense. If the big guys aint happy aint nobody going to be happy.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Half way thru their junior seasons, who's best? I thought Mason was probably the best Tech OL I had seen at the end of 2014 when he was a senior. At the middle of 2013, he was damn good. Right now though, I would give the Junior season edge to Braun. Can he get to the level Mason did his senior season?

Comparing players from different eras is just about always a fool's errand. In this case, you can argue all you want as they are in the same era but they are on different teams with different teammates, different opponent schemes, etc. I will take a double portion of each of these guys and whip just about anybody this side of Alabama, maybe even give Clemson a run for their money.