Who is your Favorite Tech Player

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Can’t believe nobody said Synjyn Days.
This is where I was going. Although I love a lot of tech players - from Calvin Johnson to Joe Hamilton to Shawn Jones to Ken Swilling to Justin Thomas to Michael Johnson to Harrison Butker to Roddy Jones - Synjyn comes to mind immediately.

Truth be told, I hated seeing him play QB. He wasn’t prone to pitching the ball when he needed to (which even he calls himself out over in a recent podcast interview).

Then he moved to A-back, & I initially thought, ‘Meh.’

Then he moved to B-back, and the magic started happening.

But in retrospect, I admire his gumption. And the fact that he took his new assignments and put his all into them. I know the uncertainty of constant change must have sucked, and he probably wasn’t gung-ho on it at times. But he put his head down, did the work, and proved himself to be a team player - and a tremendous asset. Was sorry to see the NFL not work out for him.

Last edited:

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
My very first favorite player was PJ Daniels, but I have so many favorites! Jon Dwyer, Joe Anoi'i, Brad Jefferson, Keith Brooking, Synjyn Days, JT5, AJ Gray.... I could keep going

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
This is more subjective than anything else... An example: Lynn Swann is one of my favorite NFL players of all time, but is he one of the best ever? These are my personal Tech favorites, in any case...

#1 Eddie Lee Ivery
#2 Ramblin' Robert Lavette
#3 Ken Swilling
#4 Shawn Jones
#5 Joe Hamilton

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I know it’s obscure but I knew him personally and he has the longest punt in the history of the planet....Rodney Thunderfoot Williams.

The punt he hit for the Giants left his foot at the one yard line and hit the ground inside the 19. I can't upload it but it's on you tube.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Like most I have many, these are the five I have framed on the wall of my man-cave ...
Joe Hamilton ... probably my all-time favorite, he sat a couple rows down from us a few times in the west stands, always had a smile and always had the time to say hello. Should have won the Heisman !!
Shawn Jones ... thought Shawn never got the national recognition he deserved, IMO very good QB !
Keith Brooking ... played with his hair on fire and a lot of heart
Calvin Johnson ... the true SA
George Godsey ... I'll never forget "the goose is loose" vs. UGAG

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
This could be a separate thread of its own, but there are also few obscure players from years past who were pretty good. One of my favorite 'obscure' players was Nate Kelsey. He was a fullback, if I remember right. He scored his first touchdown against UGA in the Fog Bowl and later got hurt that game when a UGA player tackled him way out of bounds into the fencing. Nate played alongside Jerry Mays and last played for Tech on the '89 team. After he graduated he used to come by and hang out at Pero's Pizza where I worked. He was starting his own security company at that time, and I saw recently where he's doing security for the Braves. He was a bruising runner.

My favorite 'obscure' player from the Pepper Rodger's era was Don Bessillieu. He did a little bit of everything from doing kickoffs to receiving to playing on defense. He played a little while in the NFL and was a safety.

RamblinAbe

Georgia Tech Fan
Josh_nesbitt.jpg
104_DUKE512X420_JPG.jpg

Nesbitt and Godsey! Justin Thomas is a very very very close third!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This could be a separate thread of its own, but there are also few obscure players from years past who were pretty good. One of my favorite 'obscure' players was Nate Kelsey. He was a fullback, if I remember right. He scored his first touchdown against UGA in the Fog Bowl and later got hurt that game when a UGA player tackled him way out of bounds into the fencing. Nate played alongside Jerry Mays and last played for Tech on the '89 team. After he graduated he used to come by and hang out at Pero's Pizza where I worked. He was starting his own security company at that time, and I saw recently where he's doing security for the Braves. He was a bruising runner.

My favorite 'obscure' player from the Pepper Rodger's era was Don Bessillieu. He did a little bit of everything from doing kickoffs to receiving to playing on defense. He played a little while in the NFL and was a safety.
You forgot his biggest claim to fame, he was the Thursday night deejay at PJ Haley's Nest. For those who don't know, PJ's was the shizzle back in the day, especially on Thursday night!