Who is your Favorite Tech Player

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Mays. Since I got to watch most of his midget league and high school games. I really wish he would have played one more season and been on the N.C. team.

Attachments

• 3993508C-9EB4-4AEC-978D-7F78771C2559.jpeg
    3993508C-9EB4-4AEC-978D-7F78771C2559.jpeg
    930.3 KB · Views: 23

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Shawn Jones. A true dual threat QB before dual threat QBs were en vogue. Way ahead of his time...he'd be a star right now. Tony Dungy once said Jones should have been drafted, but that was when "running QBs" were looked at like pariahs by the NFL. Spent many afternoons and nights in the backyard as young boy with a football way to large for my hands rolling out pretending to be him.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer

GTFLETCH

Banned
Currently
Tobias Oliver

Historically
Shawn Jones
Calvin Johnson
Joe Ham
Keith Brooking
Harrison Butker
Adam Gotsis

slugboy

Staff member
If we are going to mention Ron Rodgers, then Keith Brooking deserves a shout out. Arguably the best LB to ever play for Tech.

Don’t know what I was thinking leaving him out. Pat Swilling was already mentioned, and when I mentioned Rodgers I meant to mention Brooking too—they were a pair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
Hard to go with 1. Calvin was just ridiculous, Tashard had probably the most heart I've seen from a Tech football player. JFN was a warrior.

One that I haven't seen mentioned:

l341e2bac0000_1_7584_medium.jpg

Those were some intimidating defenses with Wheeler driving the bus. I'm hoping those days are back.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Ok, so we have hit the dead season and I thought I would put it out there to name your favorite Tech player.
Now, just to add some nostalgia, my Tech background comes from my grandfather and grandmother. My grandfather passed away in 1967 but we had our season tickets from 1931-1994. When my grandmother died I started getting my own and have been since 1995. My grandmother always said her favorite was Stumpy Thompson. she said he would jump over the line and score.

For me this is tough as I have seen many greats at Tech. Renso Rock Perdoni, David Sims, Rambling Robert Lavette, Eddie Lee, etc. But for me it will always be little Jerry Mays. He came back from an ACL in 1987 to basically put that team on his back in 1989. And his 40 carries and 203 yards in slaying the Dogs, well there is nothing better.

So what say you in this off season?

Well, OK I will play within these parameters. Has to be a player I have seen That would be everyone from early 1960s to the present. Also I am unilaterally dividing it by eras or decades. So here we go. This is strictly one man's opinion based upon the emotions and colored by the mists of time. One for offense and one for defense.

1960s Billy Lotheridge He wasn't called "Mr. Cool" and "Mr. Everything" for nothing. The song Mr. Touchdown USA was made for him. He really could kick it, pass it, and run it. A runner up in the Heisman Trophy to Roger Staubach of Navy. Plus he was pure poison to the dogs. Gerry Bussells an early 60s defensive back. Fast, great open field tackler with a talent for making big plays for Coach Dodd.

1970s ELI and Randy Rhino. Ivery was a standout for Pepper Rogers and at times was just about all we had. Set a single game rushing record against Air Force. Rhino is still the only three time All American in Tech football history.

1980s John Dewberry was a fine quarterback who could do a little bit of everything but was best remembered for beating Georgia and Tennessee. Pat Swilling was a personal favorite who made sacking the quarterback an art form as an All American outside linebacker

1990s Joe Hamilton was the best quarterback of the modern Tech era in my humble opinion. His multiple talents in both running and passing put tremendous pressure on defenses. He had, to be sure, lots of help in his day from Charlie Rogers to Kerry Wadkins to Dez White and many others but he was the straw that stirred the drink. On defense I am going to go with a personal favorite Willie "Big Play" Clay. His last punt return as a Jacket was in the bowl game against Stanford and he returned it with a bunch of guys around him to give Tech a much needed bowl win. Fearless and a fine tackler.

2000s Tashard Choice is my idea of a Tech football player. Courageous, tough, and gave it everything he had as a running back for Coach Gailey. On defense, I will go with K Mike Hall. His timing on blitzes in Coach Tenuta's defenses was something to behold. He, Gerris Wilkinson, and the rest came from everywhere. In one game, he and his teammates against Miami had something like 9 sacks. Incredible.

Coach Johnson's era This is really hard. On offense I will go with JT5. He wasn't called "Smoove" for nothing. In that slightly built 180 pounds or so frame beat the heart of a lion. He improved constantly from game to game. Amazing competitor. On defense I will go with Darryl Richardson. A scholar and an athlete. What more can you ask for? Absolute class on the field and off.

All of our guys, from the oldest who are no longer with us to the ones we have now deserve our respect and admiration for doing so much beyond the field of play. Their hard work and sacrifice cannot be measured by accolades from fans who know little about how much they give up to entertain us on that sacred ground we call Bobby Dodd Stadium at Historic Grant Field. Thank you all.