Who’s not coming back for their Sr season?

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Attrition was 16 early in his tenure. In the double digits a number of times.

Guys leave early, it happens. Some transfer. Some take jobs. Some go pro. Some just stop playing. Others get hurt and don’t come back.
Are you talking about before he coached a game? Like before 2008 season, bc that doesn't really count. That's players leaving for a better fit elsewhere. Processing is getting rid of players who play for you, but you don't think they pan out.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Never, but when did we process 12 guys under CGC?
We have 25 commits and 13 open spots (I believe). Processing is coming.

Edit: I'm sure this happened under CPJ in some form as well, maybe @Ibeeballin can comment on that. But I haven't seen this many and I hope it's not a trend.

83jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
If you want to compete get used to processing, particularly so for four years players who are not playing!

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
We have 25 commits and 13 open spots (I believe). Processing is coming.

Edit: I'm sure this happened under CPJ in some form as well, maybe @Ibeeballin can comment on that. But I haven't seen this many and I hope it's not a trend.
This is just a part of the current college football landscape. Some fans think it's a bad thing but players aren't dumb, they know what their outlook of playing is. If the coaches are up front with the student athletes (and anyone would be naive to believe this is always the case) and don't block them to whatever school they'd like to transfer to, if this is the route they choose, its nothing to begrudge.

yellajacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
We have had ridiculous levels of attrition even before CGC.

From the 2016 recruiting class:
Parker Braun - transfer
Jordan Woods - left team
Emmanuel Bridges- left team
Xavier Gantt - left team
Dedrick Mills - kicked off team
Jay Jones - transfer
Brandon Adams - RIP
Jair Hawkins-Andrews
Jarrett Cole - transfer
Chris Martin
Desmond Branch
Steve Dolphus
Jakob Brashear - medical
Lucas Johnson
Kenny Cooper
Jalen Camp
Ajani Kerr
Jahaziel Lee

From the 2014 class
Keshun Freeman
Zach Roberts
Myles Autry - left team
Step Durham
CJ Leggett - dismissed
Qua Searcy
Andrew Marshall
Jake Stickler - medical
Lance Austin
Lawrence Austin
Tyler Merriweather
Trey Klock - transfer
Jalen Johnson
Matthew Jordan
Gary Brown - left team
Kendarious Whitehead - medical
Michael Preddy - left team
Antonio Simmons
Terrell Lewis
Tre Jackson
Jake Whitley
Clinton Lynch

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Cam

Helluva Engineer
That's news to me, that seems higher than I remember. Are you including drafted guys?
Of those 16, only 4 were guys who left early for the NFL (Burnett, Dwyer, Morgan, and Thomas). Five transferred, two were medicals, four graduated and opted not to return, and one faced academic issues. We lost 11 players in 2017, 15 in 2016, 8 in 2015, and 13 in 2014. None of those were guys leaving early for the NFL either, it's mostly guys who left for lack of playing time. As I understand it, CPJ would just communicate to a player that their chances of playing time were diminishing and they might be better off transferring elsewhere. Some call that processing, some don't. Either way, the thing about the ATL chart is that it is pretty clear cut on where you stand in the coaches' eyes.

DenverJacket56

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm about to say something that is sure to get me roasted but here goes. Swilling isnt as good as our fanbase thinks he is. If he had a different last name, he would be the subject of a lot of angry message board posts.
Totally disagree. Young Swilling is a very good corner, but not great. He’s the best we have especially compared to the other corners. I’m not at all impressed with Walton and Sims.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Totally disagree. Young Swilling is a very good corner, but not great. He’s the best we have especially compared to the other corners. I’m not at all impressed with Walton and Sims.
I agree that he is the best that we have out there. Unfortunately, that isn't saying much. None of them have any ball skills. Two TD passes today were completed right over the DBs heads as they had their back to the QB and made no attempt to play the ball whatsoever.

Ramblinwreck07

Jolly Good Fellow
We have 80 on scholarship currently. Subtract the 8 seniors, Kerr who went through SR day recognition today, and Young who is no longer listed on the roster on RW.com, and that gets us to 70 on scholarship. With 22 commits, we would only need 7 players to leave at this moment to get to 85.

I think we can probably safely expect 3-5 more commits, leaving us needing around 10-12 total guys to leave. Based on our history, that is not an extreme amount of attrition compared to previous years. This also assumes none of our current commits flip on us.

Y’all can turn this in to an argument over processing if you want, but guys were processed under CPJ, and I know for certainty some were even processed last off-season by Collins. It’s the nature of the beast, and will happen.

I think it is pretty easy to assume which guys may leave or be processed based on the ATL chart, development team recognition, position depth, etc. I will also not be surprised if we end up with 30 open scholarships; that is unlikely, but I can pick out enough guys that may potentially leave to get us to 30 open schollys.

Settle in, it’s going to be a wild off-season.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Of those 16, only 4 were guys who left early for the NFL (Burnett, Dwyer, Morgan, and Thomas). Five transferred, two were medicals, four graduated and opted not to return, and one faced academic issues. We lost 11 players in 2017, 15 in 2016, 8 in 2015, and 13 in 2014. None of those were guys leaving early for the NFL either, it's mostly guys who left for lack of playing time. As I understand it, CPJ would just communicate to a player that their chances of playing time were diminishing and they might be better off transferring elsewhere. Some call that processing, some don't. Either way, the thing about the ATL chart is that it is pretty clear cut on where you stand in the coaches' eyes.
I see what you are saying and I remember CPJ being pretty Frank, but at the same time he still honored the scholarship if the player wanted to stay on the team despite little chance of playing time. I also don't recall over signing by 12 players, which is the part that rubs me the wrong way. Again I don't know how all the internals worked, but this is pretty blatant in over signing by this amount that we will be out right processing guys.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree that he is the best that we have out there. Unfortunately, that isn't saying much. None of them have any ball skills. Two TD passes today were completed right over the DBs heads as they had their back to the QB and made no attempt to play the ball whatsoever.

They aren’t the only ones, I’ve noticed the same thing at various times this year. It’s like they have no ball awareness or recognition that the ball is coming. I know you can get into big trouble being a corner and looking into the backfield but they don’t seem to be able to read the WRs body language. I don't think face guarding is a penalty so why not get your hands up ? The pass today over one of them had to have missed our corners right shoulder pad by an inch, he didn’t even know it was there

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Here is an Individual Game by Game Report from RR.com.
https://data.ramblinwreck.com/stats/football/2019/indgbg.htm#IGBG.PLY
If you have time to check a current roster, you will see some true freshmen scholarship players didn't make it on the field this year. Their names are not mentioned on the report. As you know, the NCAA allows true freshmen to play in 4 games without burning a year of eligibility. We had several walk on players get playing time with one becoming a full time starter. It would not surprise me to see walk on guys like Lay and Ryans get scholarships next year. Interesting.