Who’s not coming back for their Sr season?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Of those 16, only 4 were guys who left early for the NFL (Burnett, Dwyer, Morgan, and Thomas). Five transferred, two were medicals, four graduated and opted not to return, and one faced academic issues. We lost 11 players in 2017, 15 in 2016, 8 in 2015, and 13 in 2014. None of those were guys leaving early for the NFL either, it's mostly guys who left for lack of playing time. As I understand it, CPJ would just communicate to a player that their chances of playing time were diminishing and they might be better off transferring elsewhere. Some call that processing, some don't. Either way, the thing about the ATL chart is that it is pretty clear cut on where you stand in the coaches' eyes.

Slight correction. Some call that attrition when it happens under CPJ. Those same folks call it processing if under CGC or an sec school. Really it is nothing more than hypocrisy.

As it stands now, there are 50 scholarships between current players with eligibility left and 2020 recruits at the wr(17), de(14), and db(19) positions. We look a little heavy at those positions right now.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I'm pretty sure once offered a grant-in-aid, a student athlete cannot receive school-related funding without it counting towards the 85 limit.

In football, all of the scholarships are full scholarships. While a football player is on scholarship, he doesn't need anything else. In sports like baseball with partial scholarships, Hope can help the team out greatly. Hope pays a little less than half of the total cost. If players are on Hope, the team can spread the 11.7 scholarships around to completely cover about 20 players. (I haven't done the math and the numbers are just close)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
In football, all of the scholarships are full scholarships. While a football player is on scholarship, he doesn't need anything else. In sports like baseball with partial scholarships, Hope can help the team out greatly. Hope pays a little less than half of the total cost. If players are on Hope, the team can spread the 11.7 scholarships around to completely cover about 20 players. (I haven't done the math and the numbers are just close)
You are correct about all men's sports outside basketball and football. There are no partial athletic grants in aid for those two sports. Other sports can divvy them up as they see fit. Not really relevant to my comment though.

My point with what you highlighted was that I don't think they can bring someone in with a grant in aid and then let them be covered by a different type of scholarship later. For instance if a player loses his "scholarship" for disciplinary reasons or something else, I don't believe they can get an academic scholarship, remain on the team, and not count towards the 85.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I can’t think of any reason why he would.
Mason doens't have the top end speed to get drafted in todays NFL. Running backs are going later and later in the draft. Teams are killign it with UDFAs as well. If he ends up somewhere it will eb as an UDFA because he can flex to fullback as well.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Please read the whole thing did you miss the part were I said ( I made this up but check ) you look up one team. What about the other 128 teams.
wow, YOU look up the other 128 teams or even ONE. I can tell you most do not have 35-50% attrition--if that is what you meant.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I see what you are saying and I remember CPJ being pretty Frank, but at the same time he still honored the scholarship if the player wanted to stay on the team despite little chance of playing time. I also don't recall over signing by 12 players, which is the part that rubs me the wrong way. Again I don't know how all the internals worked, but this is pretty blatant in over signing by this amount that we will be out right processing guys.

Keep in mind we haven’t signed anybody yet. I don’t get why we keep arguing over something where it’s entirely clear nobody defines the issue (processing) the same way. If you believe every player who leaves early was “processed”, you aren’t ever going to come to an agreement with someone who understands that more players today are interested in/willing to move on if it’s not working out like they had hoped.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
My point with what you highlighted was that I don't think they can bring someone in with a grant in aid and then let them be covered by a different type of scholarship later. For instance if a player loses his "scholarship" for disciplinary reasons or something else, I don't believe they can get an academic scholarship, remain on the team, and not count towards the 85.

I'm not sure about that. As I understand, NCAA athletes can get "outside" scholarships IF the outside scholarship has nothing to do with athletics(HOPE, National Merit, etc). Not many head count scholarship athletes lose their scholarship and continue playing. If they did, and they were then unable to get outside scholarships the following scenario would be possible: A walk on who is on Zell Miller scholarship is offered an athletic scholarship after his freshman year. After his sophomore year, the scholarship is taken away. At that point, under that scenario, he wouldn't be able to go back on the Zell Miller scholarship, so he would be in much worse shape than if he had not taken an athletic scholarship at all.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure about that. As I understand, NCAA athletes can get "outside" scholarships IF the outside scholarship has nothing to do with athletics(HOPE, National Merit, etc). Not many head count scholarship athletes lose their scholarship and continue playing. If they did, and they were then unable to get outside scholarships the following scenario would be possible: A walk on who is on Zell Miller scholarship is offered an athletic scholarship after his freshman year. After his sophomore year, the scholarship is taken away. At that point, under that scenario, he wouldn't be able to go back on the Zell Miller scholarship, so he would be in much worse shape than if he had not taken an athletic scholarship at all.
You're reading too much into the follow-on post. You have to go back to my original post, which said that if the SA was provided a grant-in-aid initially, they were always considered a scholarship athlete, not those starting off as a walk-on (preferred or otherwise). I also said I wasn't sure about nationally available or state-wide scholarships (such as NMS or Zell Miller/Hope), which are available to all students based on academic achievements. Obviously, this only relates to football and basketball (for men's sports).

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Two I hope are coming back are Cooper and Lee.
Both could get another season by way of medical redshirt but both are finishing up their 4th year here and I wonder if they might graduate and move on?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
You're reading too much into the follow-on post. You have to go back to my original post, which said that if the SA was provided a grant-in-aid initially, they were always considered a scholarship athlete, not those starting off as a walk-on (preferred or otherwise). I also said I wasn't sure about nationally available or state-wide scholarships (such as NMS or Zell Miller/Hope), which are available to all students based on academic achievements. Obviously, this only relates to football and basketball (for men's sports).

I found a chart in the NCAA guidelines that determine who is a counter. (It is called How to Determine a Counter) The only difference between a recruited athlete and a non-recruited athlete is that if a non-recruited athlete receives "funds administered by the institution" that are non-athletics based they are not a counter. I'm not sure from the text if the HOPE scholarship is considered to be "administered by the institution".
upload_2019-12-2_15-40-0.png

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
I know he’s not a Sr but what are the chances of Jordan Mason entering the nfl draft this spring?
No chance. He's going to need a bit more speed and a few catches out of the backfield. The ability to be almost an extra WR on the field is very important to NFL teams(McCaffrey, Kamara, Barkley, Ekeler to name a few).

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Two I hope are coming back are Cooper and Lee.
Both could get another season by way of medical redshirt but both are finishing up their 4th year here and I wonder if they might graduate and move on?

Neither one had a redshirt year until now. They won't have to get a medical waiver, just use a redshirt year. I would assume that they are coming back, otherwise they would have taken part in the senior day activities.