Who’s going to the Benz on the Fifth?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Different subject but it's all being masked by GT marketing the tickets thru Stubhub like they do. They're not trying to just sell the extreme nosebleeds and upper corners, there's prime real estate for the taking. If you're savvy like you've stated, you wait until it hits your price point. I was very disappointed in basketball when I tried that very thing. I was after some very close to the floor tickets. Started at something ridiculous like $100. I noticed there were only a handful for sale which was interesting because our season ticket sales were lackluster and it was an early season game against a nobody. Figured they'd dump them at $20 per ticket eventually right before game time, nope they left them unsold. I bought four $8 tickets in upper deck, walked in & saw thousands of empty seats below and we all moved down there.

Is there anyone with a marketing background that can speak to this? Back when airplanes often had a large % of seats empty on flights, I wondered why they (airlines) didn't have walk up sales at the last minute to generate extra revenue. It seemed better than flying with empty seats. I am sure that it has something to do with perceived market value but I am interested more in the actual theory/mathematics behind such decision making.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Is there anyone with a marketing background that can speak to this? Back when airplanes often had a large % of seats empty on flights, I wondered why they (airlines) didn't have walk up sales at the last minute to generate extra revenue. It seemed better than flying with empty seats. I am sure that it has something to do with perceived market value but I am interested more in the actual theory/mathematics behind such decision making.
I did some work with SWA when I was consulting a few years back before Covid for them around elasticity of ticket prices. I’m not an expert (even though they definitely billed me as one ;) another story for another day) but ultimately for them it was a combination of items:

1) Logistic planning was tough when people buy in mass, same day tickets.

They want to know as soon ahead of time if flights aren’t full enough to justify the size plane they have so they can switch to cheaper smaller planes (protect flight margin overall of the route) versus canceling a flight and rolling people to the next one (depending on frequency and volume of flight routes between the city).

2) Brand Value and general pricing strategy.

This was less important for them as they managed flight margins below the normal margins from “regular lines” (Delta/United/America/etc) with a better flight experience than “Ultra Low Carriers” (Frontier/Spirit/etc) so their floor and ceiling were pretty set. They wanted to maintain price between those groups of carriers so they had a floor and ceiling established by competition.

It follows the same above argument though that it is better for the airlines to reward the behavior of booking far out (then charging cancellation/change fees) than having everyone wait to the last minute and try to snag a cheap flight.

3. Price Anchoring.

Once you pay “$x” for a product/experience paying more feels wrong. People who see their $295 ticket going for $100 same day at the gate get mad.

Even if the $100 just covers cost and is a net loss for the airline the customers that paid more feel robbed. In today’s transparent price market with twitter and travel services like trivago and Priceline it’s just really hard for them to avoid this scenario when they drop the floor of pricing.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
@MidtownJacket Thanks. There's more to it than meets the eye it appears. I suppose you plan for 5 concession stand workers, 10 security and 5 ushers, then an extra 2k people show up doesn't work logistically. You also piss off that other guy when you sell a ticket for $15 in his $125 season ticket section.

I'd think you'd start with the intersection of the curves where you optimize revenue- ticket prices vs attendance & other revenue generators like concessions and merchandise sales. At some point though you have to grow the fanbase otherwise it reduces in size & that becomes its own problem that's much harder to solve. Our whole financial model can't be teetering on tv revenue alone from our ACC contracts or maybe it is?

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Two months ago I was in the hospital with stage 3 congestive heart failure. I thought I've been to my last Tech game. But thanks to great health care and support from Northside-Cherokee Cardiac Care, I was out in 5 days. Now 40lbs lighter and low sodium/low fat diet and cardiac rehab exercise my numbers are all good and I bought a 3-pak and I'll be at the Clemson, Ole Miss, and Miami games. Praise the Lord!!

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Two months ago I was in the hospital with stage 3 congestive heart failure. I thought I've been to my last Tech game. But thanks to great health care and support from Northside-Cherokee Cardiac Care, I was out in 5 days. Now 40lbs lighter and low sodium/low fat diet and cardiac rehab exercise my numbers are all good and I bought a 3-pak and I'll be at the Clemson, Ole Miss, and Miami games. Praise the Lord!!
That’s amazing news and congratulations on what sounds like a significant life change. Proud of you and thankful that you’ve been given and took the opportunity.

The world needs more GT people not less!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That is good news. I have often suspected (but don't know) that many of the disgruntled sports fans who seem to get so worked up and upset about this (or any other) game have been very fortunate never to have ever dealt with any of life's more serious and real difficulties. Keep up the good work Lexjacket.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
That’s amazing news and congratulations on what sounds like a significant life change. Proud of you and thankful that you’ve been given and took the opportunity.

The world needs more GT people not less!
Thank you,, I've been a Georgia Tech fan for 61 years. I will always become a 10 year old kid when I get to watch them in person.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
That is good news. I have often suspected (but don't know) that many of the disgruntled sports fans who seem to get so worked up and upset about this (or any other) game have been very fortunate never to have ever dealt with any of life's more serious and real difficulties. Keep up the good work Lexjacket.
Thank you for the kind words. I have been through many dangers, toils and snares in my 71 years. My Tech motto is 'Never give up, Never surrender!'