Whiteout Saturday

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Tech fans never disappoint when it comes to complaining! Undefeated national champs in the bitching department!
Really, how long does it take you to buy or find a white shirt? The bookstore will be selling them on GameDay if you don't have one. Or do you have to make a white shirt from the wool of a new born lamb?
Now that you know its a white out game...do what I, as an adult, did...I spread the word to other Tech fans in my phone with a quick text. Its that simple.
Nobody is bitching about having to find a white shirt to wear. The complaints stem from the poor promotion and marketing of the event. When Georgia does their blackout games are they just randomly sprung up by an unannounced tweet 6 days before the game? What about Penn State’s whiteouts? People are bitching about the lack of attention to detail within the GTAA. The only mention of the whiteout is in one singular tweet. The gameday graphic doesn’t mention. It hasn’t been alluded to all off-season. None of the game week hype videos have mentioned it. Everything about it seems like this was a last minute decision just because they forgot to schedule/market a whiteout game this year. This sort of haphazard marketing is what has put GT in the hole it currently sits in for decades.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Nobody is bitching about having to find a white shirt to wear. The complaints stem from the poor promotion and marketing of the event. When Georgia does their blackout games are they just randomly sprung up by an unannounced tweet 6 days before the game? What about Penn State’s whiteouts? People are bitching about the lack of attention to detail within the GTAA. The only mention of the whiteout is in one singular tweet. The gameday graphic doesn’t mention. It hasn’t been alluded to all off-season. None of the game week hype videos have mentioned it. Everything about it seems like this was a last minute decision just because they forgot to schedule/market a whiteout game this year. This sort of haphazard marketing is what has put GT in the hole it currently sits in for decades.

Fair enough. I do agree with this assessment of the marketing department at GTAA. It's really bad. I was hoping that TStan would come in and clean out the front office. It's the Falcon's problem too...a bad front office that we can't seem to fix no matter how many GM's and Presidents we have. They both need a full house-cleaning and restart. That's the only way to break up some bad cultures.

There should have been a full plan for each game completed months ago. That fact that this white out was suddenly announced is a bad look. I deal a lot with the industrial relations side of GT a lot. I'm generally not impressed. Very nice people, but not exactly top shelf talent. As everywhere there are exceptions to that (and if you are reading this then I'm probably talking about you ;) ), but I'm often left thinking "wow...I wouldn't hire this crowd. Is this the best we can do?")

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I said that I wish they had announced it earlier. I don't believe that I am complaining exactly. The rules may have changed, but as of a few years ago the home team can only wear white if it is agreed to before the beginning of the season. (I just checked the 2021 rulebook and that is still the rule) If GT wants to have a whiteout and white jerseys, they need that in writing before the season begins. They would have asked or been negotiating with NIU for some time. Once again, not intended to be complaining, I just don't understand how it could be negotiated ahead of time and just now being made public.

JJ Green asked on Twitter that the fans wear white to a game a few years ago. I believe not many people knew about the request, and not many people wore white. This feels a lot like that rather than a coordinated marketing effort.

Bennett

Jolly Good Fellow
Tech fans never disappoint when it comes to complaining! Undefeated national champs in the bitching department!
Really, how long does it take you to buy or find a white shirt? The bookstore will be selling them on GameDay if you don't have one. Or do you have to make a white shirt from the wool of a new born lamb?
Now that you know its a white out game...do what I, as an adult, did...I spread the word to other Tech fans in my phone with a quick text. Its that simple.
This...

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure I've ever had a shirt made out of wool. I'll stick with a cotton t-shirt, it may be a Walmart type thing to do but I'm sure I'll be ok hanging out like a normal person for a day. I just can't see myself dressed in a long sleeve fancy button down on gameday like some snooty Engineer.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure I've ever had a shirt made out of wool. I'll stick with a cotton t-shirt, it may be a Walmart type thing to do but I'm sure I'll be ok hanging out like a normal person for a day. I just can't see myself dressed in a long sleeve fancy button down on gameday like some snooty Engineer.
Oh. My man. You should seriously try out a merino wool t-shirt. Coolest shirt I have on hot and humid days. Runners wear them: https://www.insider.com/best-merino-wool-running-gear

LibertyTurns

Banned
Oh. My man. You should seriously try out a merino wool t-shirt. Coolest shirt I have on hot and humid days. Runners wear them: https://www.insider.com/best-merino-wool-running-gear
This post is the reason GT message boards are the best, hands down the very best. Yeah we got some bitching, but out of the blue comes something I personally had never heard of. Who’d have thought wearing a wool shirt in a hot/humid place like Florida is the thing to do? Like @GT33, I thought wool was a Yankee type thing. I’m really amazed and might just try this out. Our shirts get awful after 10 mins of anything strenuous down here this time of year.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I agree it’s somewhat odd to do this for such a small opponent…but some of y’all are acting like you need more than a 5-days notice to grab a white shirt before the game😂😂😂
You do not need more than 5 days to get a white shirt. Even if is were day of, someone could wear a white undershirt if they had nothing else.

You do need more than 5 days to coordinate with 35-45k people for the majority to wear a white shirt. Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised, but I don't see the stands looking like 2014 Miami or 2015 FSU with short notice. The notice, as far as I have seen, is only on Twitter.

GT05

Jolly Good Fellow
Can we stop with the Meh..and ehh when posting.
So annoying. That’s the complaint
Wear white!

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I’m due for a white shirt. Mine is almost a rag it’s so old. It’s basically a pajama shirt I wouldn’t wear out of the house.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I'm fine with a white out , I'll just come in my underwear ( they are white most days but this being a night game I guess I'll need to put them on when I leave to come to the game) Plus it will save time when I go to the restroom and not have to unzip. )

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You do not need more than 5 days to get a white shirt. Even if is were day of, someone could wear a white undershirt if they had nothing else.

You do need more than 5 days to coordinate with 35-45k people for the majority to wear a white shirt. Hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised, but I don't see the stands looking like 2014 Miami or 2015 FSU with short notice. The notice, as far as I have seen, is only on Twitter.
I think the point is that GTSwarm will know, STH will know if they read their email, but will the general fandom know in time? If it were better planned out, then everyone would have proper notification. Not hard to be prepared as long as you know to be prepared.

All that being said, white is pretty easy. Especially if they hand out white shirts or have them available for sale before the game.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer

Since when do any departments for Georgia Tech do anything logical? Are you surprised lol