Whitehead update

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Good for him and all, but it's been said a few times that if he played that meant bad things for us. It's ok though since BeastMode42 aka Keshun Freeman is coming in with chip on his shoulder. :punch::mask::rage:
Actually, what it really means is that Roof is also installing a 3-3-5 and we will be much more likely playing this as our primary defense instead of the 4-2-5.

jason

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm going to wait and see how good theses freshmen are we already know Freeman will play. I think Simmons and Merriweather will be better than some think you don't have to be 250 to play end. I think we will be ok looking forward yo watching these young men play. I would love to see Klock get a chance if he can play tight end you would think he has the speed to play defensive end.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
Did KW transfer from NCST to GMC in order to not lose a year of eligibility? Could he have transferred to Tech instead of GMC, been a scout team guy last year, then been ready to play this year? If so, then that really sucks for him...

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Did KW transfer from NCST to GMC in order to not lose a year of eligibility? Could he have transferred to Tech instead of GMC, been a scout team guy last year, then been ready to play this year? If so, then that really sucks for him...

Had he transferred from a non-ACC school, he could indeed have decided not to transfer any of his credits from GMC and just transferred directly from NC State and let last year be the year that he has to sit out to meet the NCAA standards. However, the ACC has a rule that transferring from one ACC school to another, you have to sit out 2 years. So that isn't an option in his case.

The AA gave the impression that if he passed his classes he would be eligible to play. There is a claim he passed them. If he passed them and did not get his degree, the AA is at fault for giving a false impression.'

I do not like when you only quote part of my message. It's distorting. I also said someone is lying.
I wasn't aware that the Tech AA said ANYTHING. The AJC said things; the fans said things; the posters on the message boards said things; the GMC football coach said things......but where and when did the Tech AA say anything at all about the matter?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Sitting out 2 years is ludicrous...fist I've heard of that.

Whitehead can still help us this year. Having him and JHD on the scout team should help us prepare each week for our opponents. Kinda like the old Roman saying about their training for war....drills were bloodless battles and battles were bloody drills...or something to that effect. Both guys should be able to help our O get a good look at the kind of competition they will face week to week.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
... Having him and JHD on the scout team should help us prepare each week for our opponents. .... Both guys should be able to help our O get a good look at the kind of competition they will face week to week.

Basically exactly what I said on another thread.

While it sucks for this year, hope the team makes some lemonade out of the situation, i.e. it's not all bad.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Sitting out 2 years is ludicrous...fist I've heard of that.

Whitehead can still help us this year. Having him and JHD on the scout team should help us prepare each week for our opponents. Kinda like the old Roman saying about their training for war....drills were bloodless battles and battles were bloody drills...or something to that effect. Both guys should be able to help our O get a good look at the kind of competition they will face week to week.

The 2 year rule inside the conference has been around since I can remember. That's why some guys either transfer down, or out of conference. There was whisper that Vad transferred to JMU so he could eventually transfer to Duke to play for David Cutcliffe who he was close to in HS.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
I wasn't aware that the Tech AA said ANYTHING. The AJC said things; the fans said things; the posters on the message boards said things; the GMC football coach said things......but where and when did the Tech AA say anything at all about the matter?
That and the fact that Tech has zero control on his graduation from GMC. The only thing Tech said was that he would be at practice/camp.

That and the fact that Tech has zero control on his graduation from GMC. The only thing Tech said was that he would be at practice/camp.
I am confused about the whole graduation thing. Does this mean that Custis will have to get an Associated degree from Hutchison JC before he can play for a 4 year school, regardless of where that may be? I don't recall JC graduation ever being a requirement in the past.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
I am confused about the whole graduation thing. Does this mean that Custis will have to get an Associated degree from Hutchison JC before he can play for a 4 year school, regardless of where that may be? I don't recall JC graduation ever being a requirement in the past.

It is not to sit out a year. It is not for a standard transfer, wait a year then play. Whitehead was aiming for option one and ended up with option two.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I agree super....I understand that graduation can aid in acceptance...prevents the whole acceptance of credits / credit hours etc. 33Jacket indicated this may indeed be the problem. What confuses me is this...Tech not accepting credits would I think only affect whether they accept him or not....if he has been accepted into school...how is he not eligible to play?

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree super....I understand that graduation can aid in acceptance...prevents the whole acceptance of credits / credit hours etc. 33Jacket indicated this may indeed be the problem. What confuses me is this...Tech not accepting credits would I think only affect whether they accept him or not....if he has been accepted into school...how is he not eligible to play?

Accepting the credits should only be relevant if he wanted to apply them to a Tech degree. Credit acceptance by Tech has nothing to do with him graduating or transferring. To my knowledge, there is no amount of credits needed to transfer in. And if there was, they could not let him practice until he was accepted by the Hill.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
How do you pass all your classes and not graduate? How did we screw this up? If he wasn't going to have the credits to graduate then the AA should have made that clear. This is total BS. Someone is lying.
Any "answer" to the mystery at this point is sheer speculation. Back in the day, my faculty adviser would have said, "You have got enough credits but to graduate next semester you will still need to choose from one of these core requirements for a degree." Was he not told? Was he told but misunderstood? Did he mislead Tech? Did the administration at GMC not know? It is possible that a completely satisfying answer is not in the immediate future.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
JHD being ineligible was a huge blow but we all thought we would be alright with Whitehead coming in. This along with JHD isthe biggest blow for the upcoming season.

Can Gamble or Kallon possibly step in at SDE and move Stargel over to WDE?
JMHO
The line up starting at SDE and reading across: Stargel, Green, Gotsis, Freeman
(though Green & Gotsis are switchable depending on situation)

Liberal substitution based on the performance and pacing of the starters would be in no particular order except performance:

Gamble, Menocal, Kallon, Rook-Chungong, Cheeks, Gardner, Simmons, Merriweather, Williams.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

1. KW was never not qualified to come to GT. He was cleared by the clearinghouse when he went to NCSU. He chose to go to a JUCO after a year at NCSU in prder to avoid sitting out a year and losing that year of eligibility.

2. Since he already had a year of core classes, he was in position to try and graduate in 1 years time. It appears he came up just short of that goal.

3. Not graduating, however, does not make him ineligible for GT. His classes at GMC were already deemed suitable for transfer and he's already been cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse to play FBS football. Again, he was a qualifier out of high school.

4. His ineligibility to play this year is simply due to not graduating from GMC. Had he graduated, he was eligible to play immediately. Since he didn't, he is now treated as a normal transfer student who has to sit out for a year.

5. Custis and Autry are not cleared by the clearinghouse, and therefore have to choose either the JUCO or Prep School route. Totally different than the KW situation.

6. Custis and Autry have to be cleared by the clearinghouse. I don't believe they necessarily have to get associates degrees to do so, but they do have to get cleared. Autry, if he goes to prep school, will be treated as if he came straight from high school. He will have all his eligibility intact. Custis, as a JUCO guy, will have two years of eligibility. KW's situation was unique in that, if he succeeded in graduating from GMS, he would have had three years of eligibility left.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

1. KW was never not qualified to come to GT. He was cleared by the clearinghouse when he went to NCSU. He chose to go to a JUCO after a year at NCSU in prder to avoid sitting out a year and losing that year of eligibility.

2. Since he already had a year of core classes, he was in position to try and graduate in 1 years time. It appears he came up just short of that goal.

3. Not graduating, however, does not make him ineligible for GT. His classes at GMC were already deemed suitable for transfer and he's already been cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse to play FBS football. Again, he was a qualifier out of high school.

4. His ineligibility to play this year is simply due to not graduating from GMC. Had he graduated, he was eligible to play immediately. Since he didn't, he is now treated as a normal transfer student who has to sit out for a year.

5. Custis and Autry are not cleared by the clearinghouse, and therefore have to choose either the JUCO or Prep School route. Totally different than the KW situation.

6. Custis and Autry have to be cleared by the clearinghouse. I don't believe they necessarily have to get associates degrees to do so, but they do have to get cleared. Autry, if he goes to prep school, will be treated as if he came straight from high school. He will have all his eligibility intact. Custis, as a JUCO guy, will have two years of eligibility. KW's situation was unique in that, if he succeeded in graduating from GMS, he would have had three years of eligibility left.

Hope this answers some of your questions.
Thanks, AJ. I read it on the AJC blog too. Appreciate it.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Apparently he didn't finish an online course. I would assume that resulted in an incomplete. If that is truly the case, then he didn't pass all his classes. I don't see where Tech is culpable here. We are not a football factory, we can't take the classes for him.

It's frustrating. I hate it for KW. I hate it for us because it looks like we really needed this kid to come in and play right now. I hope he can find a way to manage the course work at GT. We don't have an african american studies online course ;)

Then in that case, someone lied in the article saying he passed all his classes.