Which is more the issue? Offense or defense?

Which is worse offense or defense

• Offense

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Defense

Votes: 92 92.9%

• Total voters

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
versus Clemson and BC I think the O was the bigger problem. VS Miami maybe a toss up. Since then the D has been.

I think our results on D were decent in our 1st few games. Yet, BC and Vandy are terrible Os, and CU hadn't played great O yet by our game. I think we've done some things well at times but not yet enough. Hopefully, it starts this weekend.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
There are two different questions in the OP. Which side of the ball is worse, and which side of the ball is the bigger issue. IMO the defense is worse, although not by a lot, and against ACC teams I'd argue the defense was better than the offense in 3 of the 4.

But IMO the offense is the bigger issue and the reason for that is because with the way the program is set up, the offense has to be the side of the ball to win the games for us, and the defense needs to be good enough to make sure that the decision of the game is in the hands of the offense. To me that's the only reasonable way to look at things when your headcoach is also the offensive coordinator and more so given the offense we run. IMO the defense has put every game in the hands of the offense. Even Pitt where the offense in general played better. The defense kept it a one score game and let the O have time to tie it, then got a turnover to set up the go ahead score. And at the end of the game we were tied, had the ball on offense, and the game was squarely in the hands of the offense.

So our offense may be the strength of the team, but that's almost a forgone conclusion with the way our program is set up. The issue, imo, is that our strength hasn't been strong enough lately.

To put it another way. With the way our offense has played, if the defense played up to what I hope they can reach we'd be 5-2. I don't think it's reasonable to ask a defense to cover for an offense that scores 21 and gives up 14 on turnovers. And against Clemson, well yeah. But with the way our defense has played, if the offense played up to what I hope they can reach we'd be 6-1. Miami we should have beaten, and imo would have, without the turnovers, and against Pitt we should win a tie game with 4 minutes left and the ball in the hand of our 3rd year senior starting QB.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Our defense IMO, simply due to the lack of turnovers. The offense is improving, and we aren't going to be a powerhouse on defense, so we need to find a way to get some turnovers and keep our O on the field.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
There are two different questions in the OP. Which side of the ball is worse, and which side of the ball is the bigger issue. IMO the defense is worse, although not by a lot, and against ACC teams I'd argue the defense was better than the offense in 3 of the 4.

But IMO the offense is the bigger issue and the reason for that is because with the way the program is set up, the offense has to be the side of the ball to win the games for us, and the defense needs to be good enough to make sure that the decision of the game is in the hands of the offense. To me that's the only reasonable way to look at things when your headcoach is also the offensive coordinator and more so given the offense we run. IMO the defense has put every game in the hands of the offense. Even Pitt where the offense in general played better. The defense kept it a one score game and let the O have time to tie it, then got a turnover to set up the go ahead score. And at the end of the game we were tied, had the ball on offense, and the game was squarely in the hands of the offense.

So our offense may be the strength of the team, but that's almost a forgone conclusion with the way our program is set up. The issue, imo, is that our strength hasn't been strong enough lately.

To put it another way. With the way our offense has played, if the defense played up to what I hope they can reach we'd be 5-2. I don't think it's reasonable to ask a defense to cover for an offense that scores 21 and gives up 14 on turnovers. And against Clemson, well yeah. But with the way our defense has played, if the offense played up to what I hope they can reach we'd be 6-1. Miami we should have beaten, and imo would have, without the turnovers, and against Pitt we should win a tie game with 4 minutes left and the ball in the hand of our 3rd year senior starting QB.

This. All of this.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Aside from the Clempson game, we have not had a problem moving the ball. We have not stopped anyone all season. That tells you the answer to your question.

Because I am married to a woman from South Carolina, I have watched a lot of South Carolina games. Want to know what an inept offense looks like? Watch the Gamecocks.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Every year. That is the magic of college football. If you want to watch old geezers play, go watch the NFL.

you can't use "we are young" ( which means inexperience, underclassmen (FR, SO's)) every single year.
At some point, someone has to take ownership.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Pass rush is the problem. That's why our Corners play back. If they play press they will get beat everytime becuase the other teams QB will have ALL DAY.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
#1) DL
#2) More diversity on Offense, I think JT could be a real dual-threat QB in a more spread scheme.
Our AB's run wide open when it's a pass. Line just needs to hold the block a tad longer. If that can happen, it'll be a juggernaut on O.

DL needs more penetration...that's what she said.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
If the football gods came to me and said "We will grant you one of two choices: 1. Keep the offense and have a much improved defense. or 2. Keep the defense and have a much improved offense."

With CPJ's offense, I'm going with option 1 all day...

Ditto that!