Which is more the issue? Offense or defense?

Which is worse offense or defense

• Offense

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Defense

Votes: 92 92.9%

• Total voters

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Unquestionably, the problem is defense, especially third down defense. We are too passive most of the time. Look out for tunnel screens and QB draws on Saturday.

Jmonty71

Banned
Unquestionably, the problem is defense, especially third down defense. We are too passive most of the time. Look out for tunnel screens and QB draws on Saturday.
Duke likes to run inside, throw quick slants and tunnel screens. But, you're right the QB draw is in their arsenal. However; the screens and run game need to be shut down. Whether we can shut that down, may determine who wins the game. I would like to force Duke to throw long. Nothing has shown me that their QB has an accurate arm throwing long. But, then again. Pitt's QB didn't either and you see how that went.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
The issue is not the defense per se, but that the drop off in the performance of the offense has not been offset by an increase in the performance of the defense. So far, I think the offense is more responsible for the losses in the Clemson and Miami games, and the defense is more responsible for the loss in the Pitt game. However, I think the offense is improving rapidly, and if the defense simply can hold its current performance, I think we'll be okay the rest of the way.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
The issue is not the defense per se, but that the drop off in the performance of the offense has not been offset by an increase in the performance of the defense. So far, I think the offense is more responsible for the losses in the Clemson and Miami games, and the defense is more responsible for the loss in the Pitt game. However, I think the offense is improving rapidly, and if the defense simply can hold its current performance, I think we'll be okay the rest of the way.
I agree with this.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Wow. Logic. That won't go over well in this thread...

Jmonty71

Banned
I disagree. If we are to compete with VT, UGA and UNC the defense needs to step up more than what they have. If the defense holds to it's current standard and the offense gets better the rest of the games will be wins, that I agree with. However; against VT, UGA and UNC we'll need to have them play really bad or have or defense step up, for us to win.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Wow. Logic. That won't go over well in this thread...

Yea but if you look at the individual games - especially the ones we lost since the question is which is a bigger "problem" - then you have to say we lost Clemson cause we couldn't move the ball period, Miami because of the TOs from the offense and Pitt we couldn't stop.

More logic - overall the metrics/analytics would say the defense is the issue, breaking it down by game says offense 2/defense 1.

that can certainly change if Duke runs the ball down our throat this weekend. I am hoping they don't have a replacement for Cash who had an unworldly ability to read our offense and beat us to the spot.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I disagree. If we are to compete with VT, UGA and UNC the defense needs to step up more than what they have. If the defense holds to it's current standard and the offense gets better the rest of the games will be wins, that I agree with. However; against VT, UGA and UNC we'll need to have them play really bad or have or defense step up, for us to win.
If any of those teams play really poorly, will you give the defense any credit for having something to do with it? It has probably been belabored elsewhere, but it's a damn joke that we are playing half of our conference games against teams on extra rest.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
How anyone would think the gapping hole that is our defense is even remotely comparable to the B- that is our offense is dumbfounding.

Our D sucks. Our line is weak, our lb's are slow, our corners are slow. Our safeties are ok.

You're never gonna have a good defense with that.